+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Azoospermia #3

Sorry for being blunt. If he has done mTESE (not TESE), no sperms were found. I would say that it might be the end of road for biological child. mTESE is the once at for all surgery. It is very invasive. I can't imagine doing it the second time......most therapies are suggested to do it before the surgery to increase chance of success. Don't take my words fir it. Worth getting Drs opinion.

A lot of us here have gone through mTESE and now have moved on to have family by other mean. I totally understand that it is not cultural acceptable for you to have kids by other mean....

Any Stem cell research needs to be tested in animal first before going into human trials. That's why it will be years before it actually comes online. Might not be the time when ur sister want to be a parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I thought am closer to Australia, instead of them coming all the way for a consultation.. I can imagine how expensive it will be 😣, but just anything that can bring hope again would worth a try.. I thought it's a private clinic that dr. Lok works in, where international patients can be seen with same expenses as locals and residents

Anyway, he did tese not mTese, sorry my bad, do u reckon FNA mapping with dr Turek would worth a try? As they did it already in my country where our hospital does this procedure, also the doctors told them that mTese is not even recommended for them and does not worth a try

Thanks for all ur help and explanations bbhope.. I hope you get all what u wish 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

its been a while since ive posted. My husband did his mtese 7 weeks ago and to our surprise it was successful. They retrieved some sperm but very poor quality and they weren't moving. They fertilized my eggs anyway (i had to go in for collection earlier than expected so they had to freeze and unfreeze my eggs as i did mine before hubby). Unfortunately not one egg fertilized.

The lab told me some of my eggs dropped in quality after unfreezing plus my dh sperm wasnt good. My FS told me it was most likely the sperm that was the issue.

We had our second donor counselling session today and we will go ahead with ds, but i am now worried my egg quality was also the problem, because we also had my dh post op with dr kim today and just as we were about to leave, she mentioned that during fertilization, its the egg that starts it off for 3 days then the sperm. Maybe implying my eggs were the cause of no fertilization?? 😣😣

Has anyone else had an experience with no fertilization first cycle then success in the next? Im hoping by using healthier ds i will get a better outcome next cycle.

Hope i make sense xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo85 View Post
    Hi all,

its been a while since ive posted. My husband did his mtese 7 weeks ago and to our surprise it was successful. They retrieved some sperm but very poor quality and they weren't moving. They fertilized my eggs anyway (i had to go in for collection earlier than expected so they had to freeze and unfreeze my eggs as i did mine before hubby). Unfortunately not one egg fertilized.

The lab told me some of my eggs dropped in quality after unfreezing plus my dh sperm wasnt good. My FS told me it was most likely the sperm that was the issue.

We had our second donor counselling session today and we will go ahead with ds, but i am now worried my egg quality was also the problem, because we also had my dh post op with dr kim today and just as we were about to leave, she mentioned that during fertilization, its the egg that starts it off for 3 days then the sperm. Maybe implying my eggs were the cause of no fertilization?? 😣😣

Has anyone else had an experience with no fertilization first cycle then success in the next? Im hoping by using healthier ds i will get a better outcome next cycle.

Hope i make sense xx
    Hi dear, am sorry that the fertilisation didn't work out but am sure another great thing is yet to happen so let the hopes always high.

And sorry that my knowledge is very low that I can't help, but I do have some questions if u don't mind

- When ur husband did the tese, was he diagnosed with sertoli only cell syndrome?
    - If they found weak sperms in mtese, isn't there any way to strengthen them with supplements and stuff and redo a tese?
    - if the fertilization worked with a weak sperm is it likely to get a special need kid?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Azoospermia #3

Frozen eggs are different from frozen embryos, once thawed they will never be as good as fresh eggs, whereas vitrified embryos have as much chance of succeeding as freshies, provided they've been handled and stored correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about your egg quality until you've tried a cycle with fresh eggs and donor sperm. Having said that, it was through using donor sperm that we discovered my eggs were terrible. We eventually got there and had our DS, but second time around we couldn't handle all that heartache and money again and after one disastrous attempt, just went straight for donor embryos overseas (I'm currently 27+4 with twin girls from that cycle!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sariele
    thanks for that, i hope my next cycle using fresh eggs and healthier ds will be better. Where did you go for donor embryo and why not do it in Australia?

@Noori
    my husband has atrophy not sertoli cell, which is a much harder and rarer disorder to find sperm. He is actually the first patient with that kind of azoospermia to have sperm found by his dr.
    i think for us, the road has ended with my husband treatment. he was on many vitamins before his surgery. and my husband really doesn't want to do surgery again, so we are happy with donor sperm.
    im not too sure about having a special child if a not so good sperm did actually fertilize an egg.
    i was reading thru ur comments, and im sorry about your sister husband. i think he should try vitamins and do the mtese. if that dsnt work, then maybe consider donor sperm? or if he has a brother that can donate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Jojo85

Oh I see, we actually still wishing that the tese was not accurate and that the diagnosis was wrong. That's why they r trying to go overseas for the mtese, as it's a surgery so worth looking up a good doctor. My sister's husband is on vitamins now for 1 year after the tese

Unfortunately, it's not very acceptable in our culture to get a donor sperm. They might consider adoption though, but they still want to try seeking treatment <\3

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #3

@Noori: yes dr lok is priv and it charges the same as local resident. The difference is that permanent residents get Medicare rebate which brings the cost down. To give you an idea, a consult is $300+, mTESE is $1600 (depends on he dr), IVF is $12k+. It is a big fee oop. We went through this once because we didn't have PR and priv health insurance refused to pay.

As I said, they can always do phone consult. It is feasible.

There was a lady here whose husband did the fna mapping. They went ahead because they didn't want to wait longer. The reason that the drs here oppose because it puts the testicles into a lot of trauma and you still have to do mTESE. That's like 20+ needles for one testicle. If they find sperms, then great, they can target the area for mTESE. However, NOA patients production is so slow. What if the only few cells that produce the sperms are retrieved during the fna mapping? Then u leave nothing for mTESE. Does this make sense? That's why Drs are just told patients to go straight to mTESE (some have done medication therapy). Of course, it is personal choice of what route to take. All of these Procedures are very invasive and you really don't want to do it over and over again. Just like Fitz said, you can't continue cutting because it does affect male hormone production. I do know a few here whose husbands had done both TESE and mTESE.

Thanks. We have moved on and have our beautiful little bundle of joy now. We tried everything and came to peace with it.
    Last edited by bbhope; 13-09-2016 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #3

@Jojo85: I am sorry to hear about the bad news. :"( the fact that they found sperms in your DH (rare case) has shown that no single NOA case is the same. They can't be sure until they have looked inside.

As sariele has said, egg freezing is different. I also experienced a similar situation. To give you an idea, our case isn't as severe but dr had a hard time finding sperms. They only found 3 moving sperms in the lab (very good news) and the rest werent moving. 2 fertilised from the moving sperms. Your DH werent moving? Both ended in chemical pregnancies. We were devastated as you could imagine. I was also worried about the egg quality due to fertilisation rate. I heard the same from what drK said. However, when I was on the donor cycle. Despite low egg count, the fertilisation rate was very good. Only one didn't fertilised. I got one good embryo to transfer and this is my take home baby.

I think we are very lucky to go on with donor and worked the first time around. I know a lot of people aren't. Isn't that funny we all focus so much on male issue and thought that's the hard part. Then after the surgery, we start to worry about egg issue. After what we went through, from low to high and then nothing, i became very negative. I didn't even think that my last cycle was going to work (poor respond again and something in the uterus during the cycle). My FS was very proactive and positive. She let me choose but always pushed through thing using her best judgement. I have her to thank for my success.
    Last edited by bbhope; 13-09-2016 at 11:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope

yes none of my dh sperm were moving. my dr said they were alive but not moving and poor quality.
    im assuming that was the main reason for total fertilization fail, plus my eggs had to be collected before then frozen and unfrozen. The lab told me 9 eggs thawd out but only 2 were good quality, and even still nothing fertilized. I guess the sperm was not strong enough to fuse?

ive just got high anxiety from dr k comments, she even said "i heard ur eggs were hard to get" and my dr didnt say anything to me about that...i was like huh? what are you on about?
    im waiting for a call back frm prof Illingworth...very unprofessional to talk about me during dh appointment.