+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner only had a tese done which was a small needles straight in to see if there were sperm and for him there was and the procedure took 5 minutes and got us 13 vials of sperm. His was a straight blockage so a little different to a hormonal issue. I know clomid is used to get women to ovulate but hadn't heard of it being prescribed to men... glad your treatment is going well... has it led to successful pregnancies for your partner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi TTC

You're absolutely right, TESE is a good option when there's a decent spread of production or no hormonal issue, the problem is when they 'miss' the production area in azoospermic or cryptozoospermia and then you run the risk of missing potential or going onto mTESE, which is more invasive (despite what they say!). And of course, multiple TESE is also eventually negative to the testes.

A cruel twist of fate for us is that we only get 1 usable egg from my partner each batch/cycle, the drugs don't work as they should, even though she's under 35, is healthy and has no definable issues. That said, we've had a couple of 5 day embryos and a decent fertilisation rate, so that part works with the sperm & egg together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH has Sertoli cell only Azoo.

He had a biopsy (no sperm) was put on clomoid and then had a mTESE. No sperm was found. In Sertoli cell only, I believe that the guy doesn't actually have to stem cells to produce the sperm, therefore no amount of medication or changes to hormones will change anything. Is the right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Azoospermia #3

@ttc1981: yes, jonathant had done the TESE. Nothing was found. He doesn't have a blockage. That's why mtese is suggested. But I can understand for not wanting to go through another surgery in such a short period of time. Non obstructive is so much more complicated than blocking.

How is the little one doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Barca07: yes you r right. That's my understanding. But Fitz has a good point. Drug is worth a try. And mTESE is very invasive. Another reason why many guys refuse to do another surgery after open biopsy TESE. TESA is just the needle aspiration which is not as invasive. This only works for obstructive case. My DH sample was centrifuged but nothing was found. It is a genuine azoo. Not even 1 sperm was found. Mtese is a diff story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fitz73: in your case, did the embryo good quality enough to result in a live birth? We did get a few sperms from mTESE but most of them weren't good. Abnormal, not moving etc. The embies created ended in chemical pregnancies. No live birth. Of course, I hope u r the lucky one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok my partner had the TESA which obviously was very different... makes sense now if the tese is alot more invasive! Our bub is doing well she came along 6 weeks early so has some issues to begin with and had her in hospital for 4 weeks but now going along really well, at 10 weeks she just did her first 4 hour blocks of sleep over night which was fantastic so only up once in the night she's a content little bub but have had our hiccups with different formulas to try... how is your bub going... how old is he now? And barca your due soon too

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last embryo we had was good quality and was transferred as a FET cycle, unfortunately it did not result in a pregnancy of any kind.

I just wish that the urologists here would be a bit braver with things like arimidex/clomid combos and FNA mapping, I shudder to think how many guys in Australia have had mTESE before trying these things. In the states and the UK the two respective authorities on this (Paul Turek and Jonathan Ramsay) have promising results by giving the drugs first for 6 months or so, then doing the FNA and then going in with the knife if the FNA shows anything positive or if sperm does not show in the ejaculate.

See the Male Factor Infertility thread on the UK Fertility Friends website/forum - there's stacks of stories about Paul Turek (US) and Jonathan Ramsay (UK). I consulted with them both over skype and, although it was stressful to battle with the urologists here, we ended up with results in terms of sperm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fitz73: I agree with the med. however, I am not sure about the use of fna mapping. Someone had done here on this thread. I asked the reason why FS were against it and I find the reason quite sensible. Ie. The production is so low. The fna mapping might be taken the only tubules that's producing sperms. So when doing mTESE, there isn't any left to harvest. So also, one has to do mTESE eventually.

The FS we saw had an ego saying it was zero chance. we didn't want to go through TESE without knowing if she would try her best. She would only do the TESE when we have a donor back up. I did my reading and through the thread like this, we made our decision to go straight to mTESE.
    I knew about fna mapping when we started this journey. But can't justify asking DH to do so many surgeries. Only then we seek a surgeon who is willing to work with us. However, I wish medication was suggested at the time. DH condition is late maturation arrest which according to turek is rare. More to do with lifestyle but I know it has nothing to do with lifestyle but physical damage of it due to a medical condition.

We also have two beautiful day 5 embryos but both ended in chemical pregnancies. I was told that it is Likely genetic problem. When I was on the donor cycle, the fertilisation rate was so different than when using the sperms from surgery. We were given one shot and that's a closure for us. A heartache but we r enjoying the parenthood now.

I really wish you the best of luck!!!! You might well be a lucky one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ttc1981: 4hrs straight is fantastic. we struggled a lot with DS for a long time until he was diagnosed with lactose problem at 6 months. We also tried a lot of formula. No wonder he screamed all the time from stomach pain. Stupid paed kept telling us that it was purple crying.

Enjoy the time off.