Closed Thread
Page 59 of 127 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kookii, my appt is Wednesday next week - will def report here if I manage to grab some pieces of info

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LillyM For This Useful Post:

Kookii  (31-05-2016),VickyP  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just feel like being a big old whinger today! Sorry you ladies get to hear it. But we just got our rebate back from Medicare and it's $460. We paid $6200 something for our cycle which was cancelled anyway, so where is all that money going? Obviously there are fs payment but where else would it all go? I'm grateful for the rebate but how does primary have the ability to have a low cost and other clinics have that as a profit!? I should just be glad to be able to start our journey but it makes me wonder what doe stoat money go to. It can't be just research and a scan and the fs payment? Someone else may have a different view, please enlighten me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StephyG For This Useful Post:

tjuls  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @StephyG unfortunately, IVF is a business and that's all it is.

Primary is an exception, with the inconveniences and limits that we know... but it does highlight the profit that private IVF clinics make. That's cruel because it's exploiting our misery but this is the world we're living in... Sad.

I'll just drop this here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lif...be8bfa82db478a

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea to true! @LillyM I guess alot of things in life are benefited by the exploitation of others. Man if only life could be like monsters Inc, when they figures out they got more energy for laughter than screams lol

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StephyG For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (31-05-2016),LillyM  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey ladies,

Can i just say, I pretty much missed the whole drama and action?! I just read all your comments on here (didn't see the post about the TV programme) and boy, am I glad that I didn't watch it!!! I think I am happy not knowing too much of everything.

My thoughts after reading (and I won't watch the tv programme):

1) Primary is "cheaper" because it is bulk billed. I think the bulk of the cost would pay for the meds - I know the meds from the stim cycle without subsidy would have cost about #2k, plus doc's fees, nurses, BTs, surgery, ET, etc. Probably adds up and then + profit. My cynical side of me says that honestly there is not much incentive for a private clinic to ensure a successful cycle on the 1st try because it is all about the profit. The more cycles you have, the more money they make?! I know it's probably an unfair statement but I think Primary has the incentive to make it work as quickly as possible, because the more bfps, the less costs incurred.

2) I totally disagree about us wasting tax payers' money because (a) everyone have a choice of getting access to Primary, but choose not to because of one reason or another. We aren't depriving others of their choice, (b) we pay taxes and I agree with Billie2, if I became a mum sooner naturally, I would have stopped paying taxes long ago! and (c) our kids will grow up to be tax payers too - eventually, it gets paid back to society when our kids grow up to be good people. People who have this criticism are just short-sighted and ignorant.

3) Cancer and risks - in this time and day, you get higher cancer risks from almost anything and everything. Even if I didn't embark on IVF, does to guarantee that I will be cancer free? No.

4) TV shows = bias + ratings. Enough said.

Anyway, those of my thoughts... to us all who have been brave enough to be on this journey, I say we pat ourselves (and our partners) on the back and keep going if that's what we believe in.

@RainbowLorikeet, nice to hear from you hun! yay to being 13.5 weeks, amazing! I have my harmony blood test tomorrow - hoping nothing shows up!
    @hopefulangel1987, glad to know that the pain is gone! I have to say that that is good, but also weird!! what caused it?!?! Anyway, happy to know that you are feeling fine now. Take care and just take it easy and feel better soon for the FET!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VickyP For This Useful Post:

LillyM  (31-05-2016),Mimimoo  (01-06-2016),RainbowLorikeet  (01-06-2016),StephyG  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by StephyG View Post
    I just feel like being a big old whinger today! Sorry you ladies get to hear it. But we just got our rebate back from Medicare and it's $460. We paid $6200 something for our cycle which was cancelled anyway, so where is all that money going? Obviously there are fs payment but where else would it all go? I'm grateful for the rebate but how does primary have the ability to have a low cost and other clinics have that as a profit!? I should just be glad to be able to start our journey but it makes me wonder what doe stoat money go to. It can't be just research and a scan and the fs payment? Someone else may have a different view, please enlighten me

oh wow @StephyG- thats not much of a rebate. I think you should contact Monash and ask them about the schedule of fees again because $6200 is indeed alot of money but because your cycle was cancelled, you should be entitled to a no charge cycle after the waiting period. It all depends on what the $6200 was for. So I say look into it hun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tjuls View Post
    oh wow @StephyG- thats not much of a rebate. I think you should contact Monash and ask them about the schedule of fees again because $6200 is indeed alot of money but because your cycle was cancelled, you should be entitled to a no charge cycle after the waiting period. It all depends on what the $6200 was for. So I say look into it hun.
    What is a no charge cycle? I will look into it :-)
    @VickyP I couldn't agree with you more but yes I do think that at times they would have more incentive to have a failed 1st cycle! But I guess it's the chance we all take l

Thanks
    Reviews
    @StephyG - that's not right. Monash accounts often stuffed my rebates up, so get in touch and go through it with them. They are usually really lovely and happy to explain. They should have also given you a schedule of fees when your cycle started which goes through the fees and rebates including if the cycle is cancelled.
    So, ET for me tomorrow! Once again, no contact from the nurse since Saturday so I had to call reception to say "um, my embies will be 5 days tomorrow so I assume I should have received notification that transfer is going ahead?" An hour later I got the text message that transfer is booked for 3.30pm - YAY! Because I haven't been able to speak to the nurse again, I still don't know how many are still growing, but fingers crossed we will also have a few frosties too (which we hopefully won't need!)
    Random question (and sorry if this has already been recently asked) - how do you ladies feel about a bit of rompy pompy before ET? I've never purposefully done it before transfer, but apart from feeling like some lovin' tonight, I think it makes sense that it could help implantation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay to ET tomorrow @OneOfTheseDays! Good luck!!!!

The nurses over in Sydney are usually very overworked, and they call / text late in the afternoon. Good that they got back to you quite quick!

I can't remember whether we did the roll in the haystack just before ET, but if you feel up for it, why not? Go for it I say, can't hurt I think!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VickyP For This Useful Post:

OneOfTheseDays  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly- congratulations @RainbowLorikeet for surpassing the 12 week mark. You can breathe easily now hun. Indeed once you pass a milestone, you encounter a whole different basket of worries. It will get easier- dont get too caught up in the worries that you forget to enjoy simply being pregnant. Esp when baby moves xx

Now about the 4 corners programme. I must say I was bitterly disappointed that they chose to be negative the whole way through the programme. It came across like an drawn out version of an anti-IVF campaign.
    I know the whole point of the story was profits over patients but it takes $$ to run and maintain a good ivf facility. The big guns like Genea,IVFA, Monash and co charge so much is because their laboratories have more 'add-ons' ( tests). All of which Primary does not offer. Tests like PGD cant be subsidised by the government if the couple does not have a known genetic abnormality, therefore the cost of doing the test has to be passed on to the couple.
    Now I'm not saying Primary doesnt have good laboratory facilities- but they dont do half of the tests themselves- they dont do sperm antibodies, all BT are referred to their sister company Laverty etc.

The reason why Primary is a low cost clinic is because Primary Healthcare (as a whole entity) has about 40% in health market share in Australia covering pathology, imaging, medical centres etc. They are a $1B company. So I bet there's alot happening in the back end to allow them to finance the services they're providing to us. Which Im very very grateful for.

The question of ovarian cancer? I dont buy it.
    Personally, I dont feel there is enough data to support this claim- 1 study claims theres a link and wooooo everyone gets cancer crazy- what about the other 2342 studies out there that showed there is no link? Damn 4 corners- cherry picking your stats

Sorry for my rambling.. ( again)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tjuls For This Useful Post:

Mimimoo  (01-06-2016),MissTilly  (01-06-2016),RainbowLorikeet  (01-06-2016),StephyG  (31-05-2016)