+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your child's teeth accident?

As the title suggests, I'm looking for other parents experiences with their child having an accident and hurting their teeth. My eldest DD had a bad fall & has cracked the tooth under the gum which has resulted in a splint of sorts to the hold the tooth in place and a review will be held in 8 weeks to see if it can be saved. It's a baby tooth but likely to die, they did discuss pulling it out on the spot but we wanted to try and save it first. Unfortunately it's unlikely. She is 4 and the dentist can't be sure it'll affect her adult tooth, but said it likely won't as her adult teeth have fully formed underneath. I feel so awful for her as its her front tooth, has this happened to you? What was the outcome for the adult tooth?
    Last edited by lulupetal; 02-05-2016 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD had a fall off the monkey bars almost a year ago. She smacked her mouth on the metal platform below and was bleeding from her mouth but the teeth didn't seem wobbly. About 2 weeks later I noticed one front tooth was going grey. I took her to the dentist and he said it was most likely dead but they would just leave it in. It went darker and darker over a few months but then after about 6 months it was back to white and completely fine, so obviously just very bruised. I hope your DD is ok, teeth injuries are awful

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD at age about 9/10 fell and knocked her front teeth on a metal door frame. Adult teeth. She broke about 1/3 of her front tooth off...and there was a bit of touch and go as to whether the root had been damaged and she may lose the tooth...which would be an extremely costly and difficult situation (think dental implant). Luckily it is ok and she has had the tooth capped...Unfortunately the cap keeps coming off..it's been replaced 4-5 times since the injury. ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend's DS was learning to stand, and fell and hit his front teeth on the table. Dislodged one and knocked the other out completely. They reset the teeth, and said it was a matter of time to see if they would stay in place. One fell out. One didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD2 was 6 when she tripped and knocked her front tooth completely out. Finally the adult tooth has grown!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS smashed one of his front top baby teeth at 23 months old. It couldn't be saved so he had a gap until his adult tooth came through at about 7 years old (seemed to take forever!). It didn't affect the adult tooth at all, you can't tell which one it was (even I've forgotten without looking at a photo as the two front teeth are identical).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 fell over onto her mouth at 2 and knocked her top front tooth out of alignment. It is slightly grey. The dentist said that she may have a mark on her adult tooth from the knock but otherwise there is no problem. It was fine to leave it in but they check it every time I have a checkup.

DD2 just two weeks ago banged her mouth on a metal bar and chipped her front top tooth. I have not yet taken her to the dentist as it just seems to be a chip out and I already know there is nothing they can do. I'm a little upset about this one because she is only 15 months and hasn't even had that tooth for very long!

I do not know what it is about my kids and their teeth. I only know one other child who has chipped both front teeth, but so badly that they had to come out when she was 3.

Mine are still little though, so I can't help you with how the adult teeth are post problems. I do trust my dentist though when she said that there would be no impact on adult teeth.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS was about 13 months when he fell over at daycare, into the edge of a table and he chipped both his front teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 yr old fell while running bent over pushing a Tonka truck....grazed one of his front teeth, gum, lip and nose.....so much bleeding! The tooth pretty much went grey straight away, within same day. Dentist did an X-ray and as it appears to not have moved, no sign of infection under gum and was not hurting him they have left it to prevent the adult tooth coming down early. They are not expecting issues with the adult tooth based on X-ray but I guess we will have to wait and see...

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 fell over on the tiles in a fairly inoccuous accident when he was 2 years old. He didn't cry, there was no blood. He didn't even alert me to the fact he fell until I saw 2 jagged front teeth. He chipped both of his front teeth severely.

It took about 9 months, but he then developed an abcess and had to have one of them removed. Because of the chip to the other front tooth, they put a cap on top of it, so that it reduced his 'boxer' look to only partially looking like boxer!
    He went into day surgery for it, under a GA, and it probably was for the best. The chip obvioulsy hurt the nerve and so it hurt him when he brushed his teeth. As soon as the tooth was gone he brushed happily and ate solid foods easier.

I was sooooo sad. I always hated seeing little kids with teeth knocked out or discoloured.
    But thats life and there's a million other things that are worse than losing a baby tooth. He's 4.5 now and he looks very cute with only 1 front tooth. His adult teeth are fine apparently so thats good.