+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to get over "that feeling" after your house has been broken into

Hello, I'm after some genuine positive advice as I feel like I am going crazy .... Our beloved home, our safe place, where we bought all of our babies home ... Has now been invaded by intruders. They stole all of our precious belongings and now I think they are going to come back.

Lucky we were not home but it's a terrible terrible feeling.

my kids are scared, my husband is on edge and I just feel like crying all the time.

how do I get over this feeling? I'm a SAHM who is now scared to be at home in case it happens again but don't want to go out in case it happens again.

i am dying inside with an anxious feeling / cannot sleep at night.

what can I go to ease this feeling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsrulz View Post
    Hello, I'm after some genuine positive advice as I feel like I am going crazy .... Our beloved home, our safe place, where we bought all of our babies home ... Has now been invaded by intruders. They stole all of our precious belongings and now I think they are going to come back.

Lucky we were not home but it's a terrible terrible feeling.

my kids are scared, my husband is on edge and I just feel like crying all the time.

how do I get over this feeling? I'm a SAHM who is now scared to be at home in case it happens again but don't want to go out in case it happens again.

i am dying inside with an anxious feeling / cannot sleep at night.

what can I go to ease this feeling?
    Oh gosh thats terrible. Can you beef up security until you feel "secure" again? Cameras, locked front gate? Security screens? I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs. This happened to me a few years ago. You feel so violated. They have been in your personal space. Then you wonder have they been watching me and my movements. ********! I slept with all the lights on for a month and had a tool to defend myself with (electric jigger) in bed with me. The feeling subsided gradually until i felt safe again a few months later. Hugs. Get hubby to brush up on security around the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs. I was broken into while we were home, about 2 years ago. I'm still not 100% over it.
    I actually didn't sleep hardly at all for a month after. The kids and I jumped at every little noise. I was exhausted. What snapped me out of that was we went away on holidays for a week. I was finally able to relax and sleep, and then when I got back I was able to sleep again.

I had all the locks changed. Put up sensor lights, false security cameras, put dowel in all the doors and windows. If I could afford cameras and alarms, and if I was in my own home rather than a rental, I would get them. I have a baseball bat next to my bed, for baseball of course.

I still lock the house up every night. I still startle at some noises, but instead of convincing myself it's someone breaking in and making myself get up out of bed and check, I am now more easily able to explain the noise away for what it is; eg wind, neighbours etc. and I rarely feel the need to get up and check.

It's such a horrible thing to go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will never understand how people just come in and take things that don't belong to them. Knowing people will miss them. I just hope karma sorts them out.

Sorry no advice as i am very lucky and have never been broken into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Hugs. I was broken into while we were home, about 2 years ago. I'm still not 100% over it.
    I actually didn't sleep hardly at all for a month after. The kids and I jumped at every little noise. I was exhausted. What snapped me out of that was we went away on holidays for a week. I was finally able to relax and sleep, and then when I got back I was able to sleep again.

I had all the locks changed. Put up sensor lights, false security cameras, put dowel in all the doors and windows. If I could afford cameras and alarms, and if I was in my own home rather than a rental, I would get them. I have a baseball bat next to my bed, for baseball of course.

I still lock the house up every night. I still startle at some noises, but instead of convincing myself it's someone breaking in and making myself get up out of bed and check, I am now more easily able to explain the noise away for what it is; eg wind, neighbours etc. and I rarely feel the need to get up and check.

It's such a horrible thing to go through.
    Did you see them? What did they take?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Did you see them? What did they take?
    No I didn't see them. I didn't wake up. They came in the door in front of the fold out lounge though, where my DD and her bestie were sleeping. They would have had to sidle past them as the gap between the bed and the door was so narrow. They rummaged through the kitchen, presumably trying to find stashes of money. They dropped some pots and pans; DD told me in the morning that she heard something bang and was going to have a look, but she told herself it was just our pets and went back to sleep. THANK. GOD.

They stole my handbag/wallet/keys, some other bags and random stuff. Orange juice from the fridge! I don't really have much valuables tbh.

I found my emptied bag and wallet stashed under a set of stairs in the courtyard the next morning. All my ID was gone, and my keys.

A week later I woke to keys jiggling in my front door lock. FFS. I sh!t myself. Screamed at them through the door. Called 000. The police flew over the median strip about 1 minute later. Turns out my neighbour "got confused and had the wrong door". Dodgy as. They moved out not long after.

So yeah. Hence why I couldn't sleep for a month!