+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Room for new baby next to toddler or further away?

I am preparing for #2's arrival and am seeking others advice on whether we should setup the baby's nursery in the room directly next to our 2yo's room or should we put the baby in the guest room which is further down the hall? It is likely the new baby will be in their own room from a couple of months old so will still be night waking. Add to that the toddler is also still often night waking and can be quite noisy! I would love them to both be down the hall together, however it is most important for everyone to get as much restful sleep as possible! What are your experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would see how you go with the 2yos noise level. By the time bubs can be their own room, the other may be sleeping longer / quieter.

The current SIDS guidelines are to have the infant in the same room as the parent for at least 6 months, if not 12 so keep that in mind. I know it's not always feasible, but what the nurses will be telling you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How does your toddler go with noise? My DD can sleep through any noise DS makes (I suppose she is used to hearing him when she was in my belly!) so I would have no issues with them next to each other (also DS seems to sleep through DD's crying/wakeups and he is next to my room atm).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're just setting up the new baby's room right beside dd and just had this discussion. A bit different as dd is a bit older and sleeps through the night but we've come to the conclusion it'll most likely be one us that wake her rather than from the baby crying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our 2 are in adjoining rooms and were from the day ds came home. Dd was 2.5yrs and was never woken by him. She still had white noise going at that stage so it did work to drown out some noise. Ds was a good sleeper but when he did wake, I tended to hear him on the monitor early on so he never got too loud