+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Feeling so helpless and so utterly confused - Am I pregnant? HELP!

Hey ladies

Warning: This post is going to be rather long and erm, detailed.

Okay, so I'm new here obviously. I signed up late this afternoon because I need some advice or support or just a little bit of reassurance I am not going completely insane!

So, here goes...

I am on the implanon contraception method first of all. I have been on it for nearly two years and half now. It's worked great, well at not getting me pregnant anyway, however my menstrual cycle which was fairly regular has been all over the place since it's insertion which I am aware is quite normal apparently. For me I would just skip my periods altogether and end up having a really heavy bleed for 8-9 days approximately every 5-6 months. In the last few months though, I have observed that my period has reverted back to normal,as in a 29-30 day cycle and BAM! my expected period would arrive on the dot, according to my calculations. However, this month, I was 8 days late and I thought surely I can't be pregnant, I still have the implanon and it has not yet expired. But, being my paranoid self, I went out and bought a HPT, saved it for first morning urine and was absolutely shocked when a FAINT but definitely PINK line appeared within ten minutes! Naturally I did another (same brand) and again, a faint line in the test window though even fainter than the first as I assume this would have been due to not using 1st morning urine that time. Well, I panicked! The next day, another faint but albeit pink line...

Then on Sunday (so a week ago now) I noticed some light spotting when I went to the toilet and some mild cramping. I thought, AHA! my period is starting. Much to my dismay, no more cramping or spotting that day or night until Monday afternoon when I went to the toilet and there was pinkish discharge on the paper. Well, I have continued to bleed now for what is bordering on the 8th day and it is minimal. Not even close to the usual flow of my period, plus it seems to stop and start throughout the day, especially depending if I'm moving around more or not. The color ranges from pink to brown to bright red and barely soaks through a very thin panty liner.

In the meantime I have done more HPT's with the same brand and different brands, including First Response which I've heard a lot of good talk about it. A whole bunch of definite BFN are sitting somewhere in the bin but there is also 4 more faint positives that I have received over this course of time, two of them being First Response, 1 the original brand I used and the another a completely different cheap brand. I am so confused!

Naturally on Tuesday I went to the doctor's. She ran a Beta HCG blood test which she informed was negative when I returned to see her on Thursday. On my request, she ran another one anyway and rang me that evening to say, it was again negative She was very abrupt, unsympathetic and I didn't take to her attitude at all. "Oh, they must all be duds"...ALL OF THEM!...and DIFFERENT brands too! How can they ALL be duds?! So, my next step was to visit a GP I've seen in the past this morning, whom dealt with a miscarriage I had some time ago so I trusted her. Well, I can't say that went much better either...

Here is the basic run down of what happened:

1. You still have the implanon, it's not expired therefore you can't possibly be pregnant. Fair enough I guess.

2. The bleeding is caused by the implant and it is just stuffing your hormones around again. Once again, possible and fair enough.

3. My pregnancy symptoms (of which are sore, tender, larger breasts, frequent urination, dry retching on occasions and/or vomiting at smells...I never throw up unless I'm sick so highly unusual for me, dull lower back ache, headaches, increased appetite, the list goes on...) are due to either the implanon or apparently there is a 'new virus' going around that mimics pregnancy symptoms in woman...? I googled this and could not even find a trace of what she's talking about. That's when I started to doubt her.

4. Last but not least the positive HPT's are not picking up HCG if my blood tests are coming back negative, even though I showed them all to her which mind you, she barely glanced at Instead, according to this doctor my kidneys are going a little crazy and producing 'something' that is entering my urine and 'tricking' the HPT's. What the hell?! I have never heard of such a thing...! Is that even possible?

She dismissed me after that and just said to come back in 2 weeks for a pap smear. I was not impressed!

I did one more HPT when I got home this afternoon and once again, a faint pink line in the test area. I don't know what to make of all this. I am just so utterly confused

I don't know what to do or where to turn now. So, I've made this account, read some posts and browsed and am now posting my own thread in the hope someone, anyone, here will please have some enlightenment for me.

Any replies are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this massive post and any people who then reply

Butterfly Miracles
    Last edited by Butterfly Miracles; 01-05-2016 at 01:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not trying to freak you out but I only have freakish out advice. Sorry! Ovarian cancer can produce positive home pregnancy tests.

Or maybe it's ectopic?

I would try a gynaecologist next or push for a scan

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a stressful situation. I would ask what level your bloods are. They are pretty definitive so if they are truly negative i would trust them. I doubt it's ectopic as they still produce Hcg on blood and HPT's but just generally a bit lower than normal.
    Are you reading the HPT's in the timeframe? It's pretty common to get shadow lines after you leave them a while. You could try a digital test too if you haven't. Overall I would suspect you are not pregnant. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Wise Enough and bel2466 for your replies

Wise Enough: My god! I hope it's not ovarian cancer! I was aware of the possibility of it causing false positives though. I was only recently (six months ago) checked however for ovarian cancer, so is it still possible I could have it? Ectopic is another thing I've thought of too and it scares me terribly I really hope it isn't as I have been told your chances are greatly increased of conceiving an ectopic pregnancy with the implanon, should you actually manage to fall pregnant on it The thing I can't get over, is neither GP has even suggested these things, they've just treated me like it's all in my head! It's really very frustrating and it's making me doubt myself a lot!

bel2466: Yes, it is all very stressful indeed. It doesn't help I've been emotional lately, more so than normal and the stress is starting to take it's toll I'll admit.

The first blood test I had, the GP actually informed me that the test was under 2 which is I know considered not pregnant. As for the second blood test, she didn't say and I didn't bother to ask as I figured it would have been the same if she was saying the result was negative.

As for reading the HPT's in the allocated time frame - yes and no. All these faint lines have come up within ten minutes but are so faint I could barely see some of them until later, only another half an hour or so where I've discovered most of them have darkened a little and are more visible. E.g. I don't have to squint anymore to see them. The only ones that have appeared within five minutes are two brands which according to the packet have a sensitivity of 10mul. And they were pretty much faint pink from the five minute point and I definitely did not have to squint to see them! Actually the one I did yesterday afternoon, came up faint pink pretty much within three minutes! But did get a little more noticeable over time. On another note, I did too more HPT's after my original post last night. One was First Response and a faint, faint pink line is there. The other was Clear Blue which I have not received any positives on before. Nothing. Until I woke up and looked at it this morning, when I went to chuck it out and low and behold there was a VERY faint but blue line sitting there...??? I am aware that is well out of the allocated time period but still, is it possible? Or am I just being stupid here?

Butterfly Miracles
    Last edited by Butterfly Miracles; 01-05-2016 at 08:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very likely your symptoms are from low progesterone and a crazy cycle from implanon. Could you buy a digital and get repeat bloods? If both of those are negative you can be pretty sure you are not pregnant. Post us your HPT pics if you like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First response tests are very sensitive and pick up even the most minute amounts of HCG. In saying that, I would think if you got a positive over a week ago, if you were in fact pregnant, it would be noticeably darker by now if it were a viable pregnancy.
    I'm sorry that the doctors are dismissing your concerns and not doing some proper research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    bel2466: That's true, it could be just a weird cycle with the implanon and low progesterone levels causing the symptoms. I acknowledge that. However I am still confused at why on earth I have over eight positive HPT's now.
    Unfortunately I can't post any pictures right now as I'm at my parent's parents house so don't have the HPT's with me. I'm not sure the lines would come up that well on a camera anyway.

babymummatobe: Yes, I have also heard the First Response tests are extremely sensitive. Unfortunately I am inclined to think the same thing about the lines getting darker now it's been more than a week. That being said, the less sensitive HPT's I've used are coming with faint positives now too which they weren't a week or so ago, so I don't really know to be honest.

Thank you, I think they should be investigating further too especially with the HPT positives as that signals something is wrong, surely...???

For the record, my bleeding has stopped over night and haven't had anything today at all. I haven't bothered to do any HPT's today either. I'm not sure I see the point *sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am home now so have attempted to take the best picture of my First Response HPT from yesterday afternoon. It's not the best quality and I'm not sure you can even make out the test line that well, but I gave it my best shot anyway!

Let me know what you all think!

Butterfly Miracles

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling so helpless and so utterly confused - Am I pregnant? HELP!

There is a line there but could very well be an evap, there's not much colour and very faint. Any chance you bought a digital to double check?
    It's also been going on for a while now so the Line would be pretty obvious by now if pregnant
    Last edited by bel2466; 01-05-2016 at 18:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I know, there isn't much color. Like I said before, it didn't show up very well in the picture however you can see more color to it when seen with the naked eye.

No, I haven't gone out and bought a digital. I can't really afford them, they're more expensive. Actually on that note, I'm flat broke, I could barely afford even a cheap dip stick test right now

Butterfly Miracles