+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Juggling two job offers

Hi bubhub-ers,

OK so I have been offered a full time job today and I have verbally accepted the offer and they have emailed me a copy of the contract, etc but still pending referees check, which shouldnt be a problem at all. The problem is next Monday morning I will be attending another potential job's second interview (my favourite and im eyeing for it) and they already told me to bring fill in a Police Check form and sign up for working with children's check. Although i am not quite close on the job offer stage on that 'favourite' job, but i feel that im getting closer of getting it. I dont know, just because they already ask you to fill and bring police check & wccc forms, would that mean they are seriously considering to offer me the role?

And if that actually happens, i would probably take up the job offer from the 'favourite' one (flexibility, company and job wise it's what im after). However although i know I need to decline the other one, but I have not experienced of having two job offers before (sorry, didnt mean to be so over confident!), but if that two job offers really come thru, how do i break the news to the one im declining. I dont want them to say harsh things to me!

I had a past experience when I left a telecommute job after one week being in the job the boss went sarcastic as I spoke and he said i had wasted everybody's time. That's still ringing in my head 😢. How can I say i want to decline without showing that Im the slack one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had this happen recently. Returning to work after two years at home and i thought i wouldn't get anything. Well I got all 3 I applied for.
    I had an offer on the spot from one company and was due to interview elsewhere in the afternoon.
    I was honest. I said i appreciate the offer. That i thought the job, company, people etc were a great fit for me but that I would be doing myself a disservice if I didnt at least see what the other job, company people were about. I gave them a timeframe to let them know and they seemed genuinely pleased that i had been honest with them. I ended up taking that job as it was a better fit flexibility/ family wise even though that second interview was amazing and would have been am awesome career role if it had been about 18 months later lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats @giveitago on getting a job! Well, for the first job offer (Job A) i was gonna mention that i was still waiting for another interview and would need some time to think about it, but was too afraid to say it thinking i would risk a job that i have been searching for sometime (im down to my last dollars this week!) so i accepted the offer verbally and i have received the offer letter but have yet to reply them.

I know I cant get the other job (Job B) to speed up the interview process or offer process even if they are seriously considering me. If they decide later that i am not qualified for the role, then i will go on with Job A as if nothing happens. But If next week I get an offer from
    Job B then i will have to break up with job A. just gotta do what i have to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck. I really hope it swings your way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A similar thing happened to me when I got back into the workforce after DS1. Spent 6 months searching/applying then got 2 offers at once. I accepted my 'fave' and although I was confident with the other they had this compulsory 'second interview' I had to wait for. They called me back to say actually we love you so much we will do away with the second interview - and I told them I already had accepted another job.
    Fast forward a week later first job calls back and says there's been a HR shake up and they can't actually put me on any more than a one month contract with hope to renew... So I emailed back the other company to see if there was any chance that one was still available, and they were only too happy to have me after all!

Just wanted to share my story. I think once a company wants you they want you - and if they get a sniff that you are juggling offers you probably have more pull than you think. It's a nice position to be in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to burst your bubble, but in my line of work a wwc check and police check is a standard part of the application process prior to interviews for everyone. It doesn't mean that they are considering you for a job at all...it means that everyone has to have it so they don't have to wait after an offer, as both of those things can take a few weeks to process, and you can't start work without it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I wouldn't reject the first offer based on this. I would ask at the second interview if they could let you know quickly, as you'd prefer to work with them but have another job offer you need to take if you're not getting an offer with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @fullhouse, thats another scenario that i have had in my mind. I also thought the wccc and police check would be standard process and there would be waiting period, etc, but i just dont know how to say it to them if i have another impending offer and would prefer someone who is still swinging free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just be honest. Tell them you really want this job, but you need to know because if you're not getting this one you have another offer to accept. It just means that if they want you they'll grab you. And if they don't they won't drag it out. I don't think it goes against you to know you're in hot demand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    so I went to the second interview with the other (fave) job, but didn't mention that i had an impending offer already, that's because throughout the interview I felt like it was just another ordinary interview as they were asking in-depth questions. And they didn't ask me further about my salary and availability ( I discussed this with the HR in the first place already though, but no further talks as if they would be fully interested in me ). Oh they didn't ask about the National Police Check Forms and WCCC like the HR mentioned in the email (I applied online but hadn't paid for it, but if i didn't get the job I'd not proceed with the application anyway).

Overall, it was just an interview with the head of the department (second time with her) and another head of dept they work closely with. And they said they have another candidate that they invited in the second round of interview as well. So I don't expect that they are moving very quickly or are even leaning towards me at the moment.

They told me that they are moving pretty quickly with job applications usually and I'd expect to hear back from them in a couple of days.

If i didn't get the job that's fine, so I don't have to break the bad news to my first job offer (one less headache), however If they offer me the job, I'm afraid it'll be a little too close to my starting date with the first job offer (i'm starting next week! and they have zero idea i've been waiting for another offer behind their backs...ooops).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymum View Post
    so I went to the second interview with the other (fave) job, but didn't mention that i had an impending offer already, that's because throughout the interview I felt like it was just another ordinary interview as they were asking in-depth questions. And they didn't ask me further about my salary and availability ( I discussed this with the HR in the first place already though, but no further talks as if they would be fully interested in me ). Oh they didn't ask about the National Police Check Forms and WCCC like the HR mentioned in the email (I applied online but hadn't paid for it, but if i didn't get the job I'd not proceed with the application anyway).

Overall, it was just an interview with the head of the department (second time with her) and another head of dept they work closely with. And they said they have another candidate that they invited in the second round of interview as well. So I don't expect that they are moving very quickly or are even leaning towards me at the moment.

They told me that they are moving pretty quickly with job applications usually and I'd expect to hear back from them in a couple of days.

If i didn't get the job that's fine, so I don't have to break the bad news to my first job offer (one less headache), however If they offer me the job, I'm afraid it'll be a little too close to my starting date with the first job offer (i'm starting next week! and they have zero idea i've been waiting for another offer behind their backs...ooops).
    Don't stress. In my company we have had people literally ring the day before they were due to start to say they have been offered another job. I think it's actually better than starting in a job, working a few days then having to leave. At least before you start they haven't put in any time or resources into training you or introducing you to the company etc.

See how it pans out. I think you're in a good frame of mind. I have had interviews where I thought it wasn't promising, actually one so bad I went home and cried thinking I had completely stuffed up. They called the next day and offered me the role! You never know how these things pan out. Good luck!