+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    So your mum can say it but your MIL can't? Why not. Your child is equally both of their grandchild.

Put it this way, without your in laws and without your parents there would be no child, technically our kids are 'theirs', their grand children. But really saying 'hi my grandchild' sounds a bit formal and a little silly. So saying 'hi my boy' sounds perfectly normal, natural and legitimate.
    Sorry wasn't clear enough in my example of 2 different people...
    My mother is not and has not been in my life for 5 years so it wouldn't happen, if she was however I would feel the same just swap the examples for mother and and FIL as I said for me it's a gender thing and the way it's said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristyj For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't bother me one bit. I love that others adore our kids and feel connected to them. When I send our old nanny who lived with us when our youngest was born new photos I often title them 'your baby'. She has a very special bond with him and that makes me happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristyj View Post
    Sorry wasn't clear enough in my example of 2 different people...
    My mother is not and has not been in my life for 5 years so it wouldn't happen, if she was however I would feel the same just swap the examples for mother and and FIL as I said for me it's a gender thing and the way it's said.
    I actually think you need professional help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Maybe a bit harsh??

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-04-2016),Frankenmum  (30-04-2016),Kristyj  (30-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lol armchair psychoanalysis much?!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (30-04-2016),TheGooch  (30-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get on with my MIL. Our relationship has been especially tumultuous in the last 18 months. She has very deliberately and connivingly tried to come between dh and I to satisfy her own agenda. But I still have no issue with her referring to my kids as 'my....'. I want my kids to have positive relationships with their family, and things would have to be pretty extreme for me to interfere there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm? thank you for your suggestion but no I don't need professional 'help' for MY opinion and MY thoughts

You however could benefit with some lessons in manners

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kristyj For This Useful Post:

amyd  (30-04-2016),Frankenmum  (30-04-2016),GlitterFarts  (30-04-2016),Molros  (16-05-2016),mummymaybe  (30-04-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (30-04-2016),TheGooch  (30-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly if anyone has a problem with their family being loving and affectionate towards their children, which I would include referring to them as my baby, maybe you need to stop and have a think about just how lucky you and your kids are to have people in their lives that love them so rather than getting upset about it.
    You are they child's mother, nothing changes that, even if someone else refers to them as "my". Take it for what it is, a term of endearment. Don't get your knickers in a knot about it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sejimumma For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (30-04-2016),PipersMummy  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this subject has more to do with the relationship between families than what's actually being said! It appears that those who have poor relationships with their mother/ILS etc have an issue with the "my" than those who have loving comfortable relationships with their families. Makes sense really. I'm entirly grateful i have lovely family and don't have to think twice about this stuff...it's never even crossed my mind. ..

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-04-2016),Kristyj  (01-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (30-04-2016),SuperGranny  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my mum does it I don't care but my mil ****s me to tears hello my darling little girl nanny loves you, nannys little girl. The she sings to her in this annoying fricken voice that drives me crazy. Hahaha where's nannys little girl hello my darling grerrrrrre