+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    1000% this. Our children don't belong to us.
    Everyone bangs on about wanting a village to raise a child but nobody really means it.
    I call all children 'my love' or 'my darling'.
    I think it's a very sad state of affairs that so many people feel that their children are their possessions and would get annoyed at other people speaking to them in a loving manner.
    Yep. Agree completely.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's different maybe when your first babe is small? I think I might have felt similarly had anyone (esp MIL) said that but now that I'm an old fart mum, I love it!
    It's not possessive, it's just genuine love from my village - mine are 10, 8 and 4 and are all called "mine" in many different ways from my family and friends and it's heartening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's wonderful that your son has such a doting family.

My MIL calls my girls hers all the time. It's nice she is so proud /doting of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know I haven't had mine yet as I'm currently pregnant with my first but I think this would annoy me depending on the gender of the person and the way it's said and it's probably totally out there In my reasoning but
    IE if my dad, baby's grandfather, said "come here me* boy"
    Or if a female relative
    IE MIL said "come here MY boy" I would be annoyed with her and not my dad and feel like oh no you don't that's MY baby not yours lady!

Is it a deep seated DNA thing protective of our families from other females because they too can also bare children and we feel threatened subconsciously...? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep drives me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh I say that to my 3 year old nephew all the time. Often without thinking I'll say "my darling" ( or other loving term). It's not ownership at all its just a sign of love and connection.

I love that little guy so so much and would do absolutely anything for him. I'm not saying I own him, just he is a very special person to me. He comes for a sleepover a couple times a month and we see him at least weekly but trust me I'm always happy to return him!

My sister has never expressed an issue with it either. So if any of you are my sister speak up now.

I tend to agree with PP who talked about a village. It's so important yet as a culture we tend to not put our money where our mouths are.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-04-2016),Happymum2  (30-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow. A grandparent referring to a child as "My boy etc" wouldn't bother me and I don't see why it would bother anyone... it is their grandchild and they love them a lot. God people complain about petty stuff. It wouldn't even bother me if it was a close friend saying it. For god's sake. There are so many more problems in the world. Be grateful these people love your children so much.. especially the grandparents.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-04-2016),Bluebirdgirl  (03-06-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    For me it's the attitude behind it.
    If it said in love it's wonderful. When it's said as a form of ownership it horrid
    Exactly this! My ILs always said it as a possesive thing (while they were taking my tiny baby and dissappearing with him). They always treated DH as a possession rather than a person. They have no idea who my DH even is as a person. MIL, FIL & oldest SIL are all narcissists, or have strong narcissistic tendencies. They treat the people around them as possessions, and the thought of them doing that to my son was just awful. They've been pretty much cut out of our lives now due to the awful things they've said and done.

Not everyone has a loving extended family who genuinely love the children and act like a supportive 'village'.

But I guess for those who haven't experienced this themselves its hard to understand....and easy to sit in judgement and call others petty, without knowing the background. Still, I'd never wish it upon them, and I'm glad others have loving families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my mil see's dd she will often say 'where's my little darling' or hold her & say 'my darling' while giving her a cuddle. That's never annoyed me at all, I think it's lovely. I hope she will have a good relationship with her grandparents like I have with mine.

My own grandparents (so dd's great grandparents) also call her 'my little darling' & again I think it's lovely they're very doting over her. It makes me feel good that she means a lot to other family too

It would bother me however if anyone said 'where's my baby, 'give me my baby' or said things that insinuated they were the parents.

My good friend had trouble when she was pregnant with her own mum referring to her first baby as 'my baby'. She has a fairly good relationship with her mum but she just called her out on it & asked her to stop saying it which she did.

I think a lot of people get excited when there's a baby around & probably don't think too much into what they're saying. I think it's quite nice they refer to my dd as 'my darling'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Exactly this! My ILs always said it as a possesive thing (while they were taking my tiny baby and dissappearing with him). They always treated DH as a possession rather than a person. They have no idea who my DH even is as a person. MIL, FIL & oldest SIL are all narcissists, or have strong narcissistic tendencies. They treat the people around them as possessions, and the thought of them doing that to my son was just awful. They've been pretty much cut out of our lives now due to the awful things they've said and done.

Not everyone has a loving extended family who genuinely love the children and act like a supportive 'village'.

But I guess for those who haven't experienced this themselves its hard to understand....and easy to sit in judgement and call others petty, without knowing the background. Still, I'd never wish it upon them, and I'm glad others have loving families.
    Oh yes, this would annoy me you poor thing. You're exactly right, it does depend on the family & how it's said. If it was said in a possessive way then that's not on. I wouldn't be happy if anyone grabbed my tiny baby & disappeared with baby. I think my inner mumma Bear would come out then

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-04-2016),Frankenmum  (30-04-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast