+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Canada

We are going to start planning a 4-7 week trip across Canada and USA. We have already been to the US but not sure where to start with Canada.

Has anyone been and can recommend any destinations? Kids will be around 8 and 4 or 5 when we go sometime between may and September.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might like to start by choosing east or west coast. Canada is huge!
    I've done the west. I highly recommend driving at that time of year, roads are great, scenery magic.
    3-4 days Vancouver, make sure you get to grouse mountain, Granville island & Stanley park.
    3 days Vancouver island, based in a small town like Tofino. Take a kayak trip to see the Bears.
    Maybe a quick trip north to Whistler?
    Drive east towards the lakes/wine region - base in penticton or Kelowna for 3-4 nights.
    Keep driving to Calgary. If you time it right you might catch the Calgary stampede - so much fun! Kids would love the rodeo.
    Drive north to Banff, maybe splurge on the lake Louise resort?
    Further north to jasper to see the glacier.
    We then went through to Edmonton (biggest shopping mall in North America & no sales tax) but were visiting friends so it is a bit out of the way.
    Back to Vancouver to fly home ( or fly out of Calgary & connect?)
    You could then fly to the east coast to see Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec, but I would choose east or west personally.
    Oh it's making me want to plan another trip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks, I will get busy researching!
    I was thinking we would mainly do the west then fly to east so we could have a look at Niagara Falls thrn go into USA.
    Lake Louise was definetly on my list.
    Im not sure if dh is keen to drive but wondered if trains for some of the journey would be doable if we decide not to drive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So May - September is a good time. Tho, a Canadian winter is amazing! (I'm Canadian so I may be biased.)

There is a trans-Canada train which could be fun. You'd get to see a lot without having to fly.

The prettiest parts of Canada are definitely the coasts - both are beautiful, tho you hear more about the West.

You could start West, and head East. I'd do Vancouver / Tofino, fly to Toronto / Niagara, then take the train on to Montreal / Quebec City if you have time.

Unless you are big hikers, I wouldn't bother with Banff in the summer. That's just me tho, lots of people like it. (I personally don't like Calgary much.) Same with Edmonton. You can go to a mall anywhere.

Edit: just saw that LL was on your list. You could easily to it in a couple days as it's a short drive from Calgary. Jasper is a bit further, but equally as beautiful.
    Last edited by ilex; 29-04-2016 at 15:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp, not a huge amount to do/see in Calgary except at stampede time.
    I was nervous about driving but after a few days to acclimatise, found it surprisingly easy driving on the wrong side of the road & you have so much freedom to stop, look at things, check out wildlife on the side of the road!
    Maybe a tour for a few days to Vancouver island, then pick up a car in Vancouver? We did "ride the moose" for 4 days to the island, but you could find a more upmarket tour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the above and we loved driving thru Rockies instead of train. I tell everyone to go to the east though as well, not just Toronto and Quebec either. Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia....stunning! I had a friend in New Brunswick and was really pleased i spent time over that side too.
    Agree with above. ..stampede is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I cant wait to get into planning!
    I might still look into driving.