+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silent reflux... What worked for you?

Hi, I'm a FTM to a gorgeous 8 week old baby girl. She is mixed fed due to poor supply and taking Bellamys organic formula.

Over the past 3 weeks my poor babe has become really irritated, coughing, choking and spluttering during feeding. She screams out in pain when she's put down as well as drooling a lot. She's really snuffly and its effecting her breathing especially at night.

She's had a cold so initially I thought it was just that but the symptoms are getting worse. I think she has silent reflux.

She is awake from about 1am and just irritated all night. During the day she barely naps and usually only in my arms. We are all exhausted and I just want to help her but I can't. She probably takes 100mls every 2-3 hours and the occasional breast feed. (she's too fussy now to feed on the breast and just screams)

I've changed her bottles from medela Calma to Dr Browns with a pretty good response. I was using infants friend with no real improvement so Two days ago I put her on the Padbury Pharmacy reflux mixture. I sit her up after each feed but she doesn't seem to burp much. She farts a lot and does a poo almost every day. She has a long warm shower every night and then I give her tummy a massage.

What else can I do? I'm all out of ideas and my poor baby is suffering

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you seen a GP/paed to get some meds? If not, you can try infant gaviscon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Have you seen a GP/paed to get some meds? If not, you can try infant gaviscon.
    No I haven't yet. I was holding off on starting her on prescription medication to see if something else would work. Maybe I should take her just in case. I will try the gaviscon too. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I hope you don't mind me replying in this section as I haven't breastfed either of my kids, both have been FF from birth. So ignore my comments if you don't think they're relevant!
    My DD had silent reflux and what worked for us was 10mg Losec a day, plus hydrolysed formula. Many kids with reflux also have CMPI. Other things included tilting her cot, keeping her upright for 20 mins after a feed and avoiding tight clothing on her tummy, especially when sleeping.
    If you think it is reflux I reccomend you see a knowledgable GP or paediatrician to help you get it sorted. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

A&S  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    Sorry I hope you don't mind me replying in this section as I haven't breastfed either of my kids, both have been FF from birth. So ignore my comments if you don't think they're relevant!
    My DD had silent reflux and what worked for us was 10mg Losec a day, plus hydrolysed formula. Many kids with reflux also have CMPI. Other things included tilting her cot, keeping her upright for 20 mins after a feed and avoiding tight clothing on her tummy, especially when sleeping.
    If you think it is reflux I reccomend you see a knowledgable GP or paediatrician to help you get it sorted. Good luck!
    Thank you. I think I will take her to a GP and get some losec. I was holding off but she's not really getting better and I know the losec will probably work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone got any other ideas? I can't get bub into a GP until next week. She was so congested last night she woke at 1030 and didn't go back to sleep. My heart breaks to hear her struggle so badly 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had silent reflux. Along with medication things that helped were:

She slept in the baby swing a lot (all day sleeps and sometimes during the night when she was really unsettled). It kept her upright which I think helped a lot.

I elevated the top end of her bassinet mattress.

And using a sleep positioner (safe and sound had one, will see if I can find a picture) I slept her on her side.

Both of my baby's were congested for the first few weeks with dd's going on for longer as she had a floppy larynx as well. Hopefully the gp can help with medication.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1461972188.245804.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    My dd had silent reflux. Along with medication things that helped were:

She slept in the baby swing a lot (all day sleeps and sometimes during the night when she was really unsettled). It kept her upright which I think helped a lot.

I elevated the top end of her bassinet mattress.

And using a sleep positioner (safe and sound had one, will see if I can find a picture) I slept her on her side.

Both of my baby's were congested for the first few weeks with dd's going on for longer as she had a floppy larynx as well. Hopefully the gp can help with medication.

Attachment 80834
    The safe sleeper is a great idea! Can you buy them from baby shops?

Did you put yours on medication or change formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Meds and cutting out dairy were the only things that helped both my kids so I don't have any other suggestions sorry.

Just wanted to give you a big hug and support. It's so though with a baby with silent reflux.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

A&S  (30-04-2016)