+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Cough or choking on dribble?

    Bub has had a cough for a few days. Thought it was just the same as her siblings had recently. But it's like she's choking and it constantly wakes her up. Having to hold her day and night to sleep try to keep her upright and contented.

    The Dr came last night and said her temp was fine and chest clear, so thought she was teething and coughing/choking on her saliva. She's 4.5 months. Her siblings had teeth by now so it's possible. But has anyone else's bub coughed like this from teething /dribble???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump, anyone?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    1,050
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 5mo sometimes coughs/chokes on her dribble but it's only when she's playing (i.e. chewing and dribbling all over a toy), not when she's sleeping. She isn't showing any signs of getting teeth just yet.
    Does she dribble what you would consider an excessive amount, or would you have thought it was normal if she hadn't been choking?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    My 5mo sometimes coughs/chokes on her dribble but it's only when she's playing (i.e. chewing and dribbling all over a toy), not when she's sleeping. She isn't showing any signs of getting teeth just yet.
    Does she dribble what you would consider an excessive amount, or would you have thought it was normal if she hadn't been choking?
    Thanks. Thing is she's not dribbling excessively at all, so it's either all going straight down her throat and therefore I'm not seeing it, or that's not what's happening. Her nose is a little bit runny so maybe it's mucus going down her throat....making her gag and cough? Definitely sounds like there's liquid there. Sometimes I can feel her straining to gag or cough, or she pulls a face, but doesn't cough. She's definitely out of sorts. Poor baby. The coughing is quite bad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked
    2,303
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Thanks. Thing is she's not dribbling excessively at all, so it's either all going straight down her throat and therefore I'm not seeing it, or that's not what's happening. Her nose is a little bit runny so maybe it's mucus going down her throat....making her gag and cough? Definitely sounds like there's liquid there. Sometimes I can feel her straining to gag or cough, or she pulls a face, but doesn't cough. She's definitely out of sorts. Poor baby. The coughing is quite bad.
    I would say this is the case. DS used to choke/cough with mucus dripping down his throat.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Bond Girl  (29-04-2016)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does anyone know what, if anything, I could give her to dry it up? Running on empty here, need sleeep!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked
    2,303
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used a cough mixture from the chemist but not sure it can be used on a 4.5 month old. Maybe ask the pharmacist?

    Eta. It did not dry up the mucus - it just thinned it out.

    Maybe a vaporiser can help?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I'll get my vaporiser out.
    Took her to our regular GP today rather than medcall who came last night, and she said she can hear fluid on her lungs at the back so has given her antibiotics to stop it getting any worse, but no cough medicine suitable for her age. So I'll just have to ride it out. DH is gone tomorrow so I shall be sleeping in!!!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Yes I'll get my vaporiser out.
    Took her to our regular GP today rather than medcall who came last night, and she said she can hear fluid on her lungs at the back so has given her antibiotics to stop it getting any worse, but no cough medicine suitable for her age. So I'll just have to ride it out. DH is gone tomorrow so I shall be sleeping in!!!
    I was just about to suggest taking her to a dr to listen to her chest.
    I was also going to confirm that there is nothing you can give a baby at this age. Best you can do is use a vaporiser and use the fess drops to keep her nose clear if that's an issue too.
    The antibiotics should kick in soon and you will both sleep better ☺

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

    Bond Girl  (29-04-2016)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Turns out its bronchiolitis. Been to ED with her on advice of the Medcall doctor, as she became very wheezy today. She's ok though and doesn't have to stay in, gave the doctor lots of smiles. Why do my kids always need to go to ED on Saturday nights when all the drunks are out?!?!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-03-2016, 17:22
  2. Chesty cough
    By OllieM in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-02-2016, 20:55
  3. Are peas a choking hazard for babies?
    By JustJaq in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-06-2015, 10:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!