+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Parental Leave Pay Eligibility

Hello everyone!
    I just found out I am pregnant, however I have only been employed at my work for 2 months. I read at the Human Services website that I am only eligible for a Parental Leave Pay after working in the current job for 12 months. So does it mean I am 100% uneligible for Parental Leave Pay? Are there other options that I can look at in this kind of situation? I really need extra income when I am 6-9 months pregnant and unable to work.
    Does anyone know? Thanks!

Regards,
    Pixie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are eligible for government PPL if you've worked 10 out if proceeding 13mths at a minimum of 330hrs.

You are eligible for your employer parental leave if you've been with them 12mths before you go on leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie.... Congratulations firstly! To be eligible for paid parental leave you just need to be working for 10 of the 13 months before the birth of the child with 330 hrs in that 10 month period. You get paid the money once the bubs is born though you can submit your forms prior but won't get paid till you actually have the baby and you have to submit the confirmation of birth you receive in the hospital. I think the 12 month period you may be thinking of is the minimum time you must be with an employer before they must give maternity leave (not necessarily paid) but to hold a role for you whilst you take leave anything less than 12 months service they employers are not obligated to hold a position for you. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can meet the work test working for more than one employer. You have to work 10 out of the 13 months prior to the birth, and had less than 8 weeks break between working days. So if you were working elsewhere before your current job this will be counted toward the work test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your answers ladies!!
    Howabout Family Tax Benefits, do you get it straight after your child is born (if you've applied long before)?

Thanks again!

Pixie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie0228 View Post
    Thank you so much for your answers ladies!!
    Howabout Family Tax Benefits, do you get it straight after your child is born (if you've applied long before)?

Thanks again!

Pixie
    You don't get family tax benefit B whilst on PPL. FTA threshold is quite low and I've never been eligible for that.