4 yr old maths lover | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 4 yr old maths lover

So today I ask my 4.5 yr old DS some basic maths to keep him entertained in the car. What's 2 + 2 etc. I know DH had taught him a few basics so I wasn't overly surprised that he knew the answers. So I made it more difficult. What's 2 + 3 + 4? He counts to himself - 9 he says. Then answers every sum I give him correctly using his fingers to count. Ask more he says.

I have to say I am a bit surprised. I questioned his kindy teacher had they been doing addition and she said oh no we just count to 20. DS1 has been counting to 20 since he was 2.

Any other maths geniuses out there? Any tips to encourage yet keep it fun? I know his interest could wane any dat so just want to capitalise on it while he is enjoying it.

He does not get his love of maths from me 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default 4 yr old maths lover

DS was similar, he just always had a love for numbers, he used to spot traffic speed signs and taught himself to count to 100 by 3, Mathletics is a great app and I bought a Times table poster to stick up in the family room thinking it would come in handy for when he starts school and he's pretty much memorised it already! I just always would count things when we were out and about , like sugar sachets at the cafe or match box cars when we were playing and played adding and subtraction games with them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try coolmathgames.com on the internet - not all of them are numbers based, my DD loves fireboy and watergirl which is more problem solving and teamwork. He will need someone to get him started but then there is opportunity to play by himself (or doing both parts). DD is six but has playing with Dad since she was four.

Also 'bugs and numbers' on the ipad is cool, measurements, fractions and lots of different levels.

Otherwise with physical things - get lots of blocks with sections (like quesonairre rods - sorry for the spelling) to visually see what 100 looks like versus 10 and coloured beads/shapes and sizes. You could go to town and spend a fortune, seek out a good educational supplier and buy quality that you can use for a couple of years at least. Use language for multiplication like "how many groups of".

You can thread beads on a string so that he can work out addition/subtraction past 10 fingers, perhaps 20 and even colour them in blocks of colours/alternating colours which leads on to odd and even, and division.

We have a monkey thing that you hang bananas on it's arms to balance like a scale. An old fashioned scale would be cool but hard to find and probably expensive but an electric one could help with relativity, discuss why something would be heavier wet or dry. A tape measure to do height, circumference, distance, items in the bath that sink or float. Order things in the house according to size/weight etc, like a whole shelf in the pantry and line up in order. If he's more maths-science encourage it - it just takes time and imagination, google some science based curriculum just for ideas.

Big W have heaps of cheap exercise books for numbers based exercised but unless he can read the point of the exercise or write properly it's not much fun, possibly a year or more away.

Best of luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS was similar, he just always had a love for numbers, he used to spot traffic speed signs and taught himself to count to 100 by 3, Mathletics is a great app and I bought a Times table poster to stick up in the family room thinking it would come in handy for when he starts school and he's pretty much memorised it already! I just always would count things when we were out and about , like sugar sachets at the cafe or match box cars when we were playing and played adding and subtraction games with them
    Thanks I will look into the app and poster sounds like a good idea. Sounds similar, he was reading some numbers before he was 2 (I remember him pointing out and saying 2 which was marked on the pool at swimming lessons), and I caught him counting to 100 in the bath a few times probably around 3. Loves counting random objects too.

I worry he will get bored at prep next year I hope he has a good teacher that can keep him challenged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Try coolmathgames.com on the internet - not all of them are numbers based, my DD loves fireboy and watergirl which is more problem solving and teamwork. He will need someone to get him started but then there is opportunity to play by himself (or doing both parts). DD is six but has playing with Dad since she was four.

Also 'bugs and numbers' on the ipad is cool, measurements, fractions and lots of different levels.

Otherwise with physical things - get lots of blocks with sections (like quesonairre rods - sorry for the spelling) to visually see what 100 looks like versus 10 and coloured beads/shapes and sizes. You could go to town and spend a fortune, seek out a good educational supplier and buy quality that you can use for a couple of years at least. Use language for multiplication like "how many groups of".

You can thread beads on a string so that he can work out addition/subtraction past 10 fingers, perhaps 20 and even colour them in blocks of colours/alternating colours which leads on to odd and even, and division.

We have a monkey thing that you hang bananas on it's arms to balance like a scale. An old fashioned scale would be cool but hard to find and probably expensive but an electric one could help with relativity, discuss why something would be heavier wet or dry. A tape measure to do height, circumference, distance, items in the bath that sink or float. Order things in the house according to size/weight etc, like a whole shelf in the pantry and line up in order. If he's more maths-science encourage it - it just takes time and imagination, google some science based curriculum just for ideas.

Big W have heaps of cheap exercise books for numbers based exercised but unless he can read the point of the exercise or write properly it's not much fun, possibly a year or more away.

Best of luck!
    Thanks heaps of good ideas! I wish I had more time to spend with him. I should look into educational toys your beads thing made me think of an abacus! But yes even just beads to count is a good start.

Apps and websites are great too given I don't have a heap of time due to a new little sibling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    omg no advice but that's so cute 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wish I could use an abacus, it's on my bucket list. You've just reminded me, I might look into getting one and a learning guide. Our local chinese restaurant has used it as their till for ever.

If he's making connections with maths it's probably time for other things, like tying shoe laces. With a newborn - just let him go for it, a lot can be vocal for your part with a 5 minute tidyup later. Just remember to describe things as simply and as practically as possible. "If I needed two applies for a pie, how many would I need for three pies?"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (29-04-2016)