+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Depended on how I actually felt. I work in aged care and while sometimes I can be easily replaced, other times I cant(sometimes we can't even get agency to come in). If it's getting to late afternoon depending on the day as well, that also impacts as to whether I call in sick because nobody wants to work night shift and sometimes we literally don't have the permanent staff on to provide the residents needs(some nights we are lucky to have 2 or 3 permanent staff on with new casuals or agency staff(last night was an example of that with 3 of us perm night staff(1 on each floor) and then 3 new casuals plus we were also down one of the registered staff)

Next week I am having a rest day because I am up for a huge next few weeks and just don't have enough time to prepare to prepare myself and I need a break because I will be busy when overseas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I was trying to word it right so as not to cause any offence to anyone, I'm not implying that the role receptionists or nurses do is not invaluable, it's just an example that in some circumstances their roles can be redistributed and the impact on the business is minimal. This is not the case in all situations such as yours where your role is such that somebody else cannot fill in for you or in a practice with only one nurse or receptionist of course things would be affected differently. And also like in your case it might not impact the day to day business or others much if you are off but you then have to bear the brunt of all the catch up work when you get back so I'm sure that would influence your decision too.
    Nah, I knew what you meant. I know that some receptionists literally only answer phones, and I did once have a reception job where that was the case.

Generally, if the switchboard is extremely busy it's not feasible to give the receptionist other tasks to do, but because of that it is actually easier to fill the position for a period of time. The temp just needs to be able to answer the phone, and that's it. Those are probably the reception roles you had in mind. Businesses whose phones are quieter often have to utilise the receptionist in other ways so that the person isn't sitting around being paid to twiddle their thumbs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I did....and then things turned even worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I have something really urgent due then I will still go to work but take over the counter medicine and then if still not better take the next day off if I finished the urgent task.
    If nothing urgent is due then I would take sick leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    depending on how crap I felt, I might take one day off to rest up/not spread it around.

I think I've taken a week off once and that was for a shocking flu. I honestly felt so bad I thought I was dying. getting to the bathroom was a mission never mind to work. that's happened exactly once though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a job where if I don't do my work it doesn't get done and just piles up and I have immovable deadlines. So if I get sick I still have to work but I am lucky in that I can do it from home. In previous jobs I would take a couple of days to get over the worst of the sneezing, coughing, nose blowing. So gross. I'm also prone to sinus infections when I get a cold. Double gross.
    One of my pet hates is people coming to work sick because I really don't want to catch their bug! I stay away as much as possible as soon as I know someone is sick and go OTT on the alcohol gel lol.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. As a teacher if I stayed home every time I had a cold I'd hardly be there over winter. Kids are germ balls.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (28-04-2016),Stretched  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do if it's on the milder side.

I try to contain my germs as best I can (cover mouth if coughing and lots of hand washing/sanitizer). If I'm sneezing/blowing my nose a heap/coughing I'll take a day or two off to try and keep the germs away from my colleagues.

I don't get sick often, so I'm not phased about taking time off if I really need it. No one does my job for me, I just catch up upon my return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    Yep. As a teacher if I stayed home every time I had a cold I'd hardly be there over winter. Kids are germ balls.
    Ditto. Plus there's a 99% chance I caught it off one of them anyhow and it has already spread right through.

I need my sick leave for when my own kids are sick or whatever I catch gets into my voicebox.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would take some medication and soldier on,
    its a cold, Im an adult capable of blowing my nose and washing my hands and not sharing utensiles or mouthing objects commonly mouthed by others.

that said my eldest spent a week in hospital on oxygen at 7 weeks old after catching a 'cold' virus (hi rsv)