+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This might sound controversial but in my experience whether or not people call in sick can depend a lot on their job role and whether it can be done by other people. For example I've found in some places that some receptionists and nurses take time off freely for minor illness as they know the impact will be minor, ie someone else will do the the work while they are away. Obviously it impacts on the other people filling in and most people would take this into consideration and feel bad but there are always some who don't worry about it. However if one of the vets is sick it makes a huge difference, appointments have to be rescheduled, potentially surgeries too as the remaining vets already have a full work load and can't double up on appointments for example. So in my case although I'm sure people don't appreciate bugs being spread around if I'm sick, I think they get more annoyed at the inconvenience of having to rearrange things so I would never consider taking time off for a cold.

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (28-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (28-04-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (06-05-2016),kim85  (28-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-04-2016),rosey82  (28-04-2016),TreeGirl  (28-04-2016),Wise Enough  (28-04-2016)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    817
    Thanks
    274
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't take time off unless I'm bedridden. I'm a Pharmacist so calling in sick is a HUGE drama as a replacement needs to be found at short notice otherwise the shop can't open.
    If I knew my job could be done from home, or I could catch up the next day I would definitely take a day off to recover.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

    BH-KatiesMum  (06-05-2016),nh2489  (28-04-2016)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,672
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    3,848
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    This might sound controversial but in my experience whether or not people call in sick can depend a lot on their job role and whether it can be done by other people. For example I've found in some places that some receptionists and nurses take time off freely for minor illness as they know the impact will be minor, ie someone else will do the the work while they are away. Obviously it impacts on the other people filling in and most people would take this into consideration and feel bad but there are always some who don't worry about it. However if one of the vets is sick it makes a huge difference, appointments have to be rescheduled, potentially surgeries too as the remaining vets already have a full work load and can't double up on appointments for example. So in my case although I'm sure people don't appreciate bugs being spread around if I'm sick, I think they get more annoyed at the inconvenience of having to rearrange things so I would never consider taking time off for a cold.
    I was a rental receptionist before DD got cancer, but because I did the admin for the property managers, plus the daily banking transfers, it was a surprisingly big deal if I called in sick. I was (frustratingly) the only person who knew my role inside out. If I took a week off for annual leave (ie 5 business days), I came back to a pile of work that nobody else did. Technically, a few of them did know how to do the various tasks I did, but they were too busy with their own jobs to take on all of mine. It was a stupid system and it generally took me at least a week or more to get back up to date after time off.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (28-04-2016),rosey82  (28-04-2016)

  7. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a good point actually.. With my job if I call sick just means someone else gets overtime (win for that person) plus we don't have personalised work. It's all done and handed over to the next shift.
    So I didn't think of having no one to do the work if u call sick etc.. Good point!

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked
    593
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have to be gravely ill not to show up to work because no one could do my role. I take stuff to get me through to the weekend.

  9. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,672
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    3,848
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    That's a good point actually.. With my job if I call sick just means someone else gets overtime (win for that person) plus we don't have personalised work. It's all done and handed over to the next shift.
    So I didn't think of having no one to do the work if u call sick etc.. Good point!
    If I had a job where that was the case then I probably would've taken more sick days when I wasn't feeling great. I've never EVER taken sick days without actually being sick (like faking a sickie), but I definitely soldiered on despite feeling like crap a few times, for the above reasons. I did notice that those people in my office whose jobs weren't so badly affected by time off, definitely took more sick days. I averaged about two sick days a year. Not many IMO.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,316
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,322
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Do you go to work with a cold?

    If I have clients to see and people to call I have no choice otherwise if I'm quite I would take a day off if I could but never a week , DH would be lucky to take a few hours off but that's unfortunately one of the downsides of owning your own business ! ( luckily we are rarely sick!)

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    61
    Reviews
    0
    I'm in defence, we don't get accrued sick leave as such. If you are sick you get checked at the medical centre and then get sick leave as needed.
    Last year I got three colds within about two months because of people staying at work while they're sick

  12. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I was a rental receptionist before DD got cancer, but because I did the admin for the property managers, plus the daily banking transfers, it was a surprisingly big deal if I called in sick. I was (frustratingly) the only person who knew my role inside out. If I took a week off for annual leave (ie 5 business days), I came back to a pile of work that nobody else did. Technically, a few of them did know how to do the various tasks I did, but they were too busy with their own jobs to take on all of mine. It was a stupid system and it generally took me at least a week or more to get back up to date after time off.
    I was trying to word it right so as not to cause any offence to anyone, I'm not implying that the role receptionists or nurses do is not invaluable, it's just an example that in some circumstances their roles can be redistributed and the impact on the business is minimal. This is not the case in all situations such as yours where your role is such that somebody else cannot fill in for you or in a practice with only one nurse or receptionist of course things would be affected differently. And also like in your case it might not impact the day to day business or others much if you are off but you then have to bear the brunt of all the catch up work when you get back so I'm sure that would influence your decision too.

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I'm feeling well enough to stay at work I do, if I'm feeling crappy I will have a day off.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody work in Community Services?? (Alcohol/ Drugs, Youth Work)
    By Shells85 in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-01-2016, 19:15
  2. How long to kegels take to work? And do they work?
    By Violet85 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 15:26
  3. IVF transfer with a cold
    By Maisie Lou in forum IVF
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-05-2015, 16:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Life Fertility
Life Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF specialists offer professional, holistic, personalised options for the treatment of each patient’s specific needs.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!