+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it worth it - FT working mums

Hi Ladies,

Bit of background: I have three kiddies - 4,3 and 10 months and up until now have either been on leave or working part time but just recently I've taken a full time contract just for 12 months which will then revert back to my 0.5 position.
    There's a few reasons for taking the contract but the two main ones are saving for a house and to enable my husband to work close to home and be home every night and not have to work away (was previously working M-F away and home on weekends and before that was FIFO 2&1 - he now leaves home about 6/630 and is home around 4.)
    I really enjoy my job and there's lots of flexibility in regards to time off for the kids, be it events or sickness. My 10 month old is very happy at daycare, my two older ones put on a bit of a song and a dance whilst going off to daycare/school/OSH but overall I know they're fine and have a great time there.

There will be an option for me to continue full time after my contract ends and this is my question:

I'm just looking for advice or experience - is going full time worth it to achieve goals such as a house and to provide your family with opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't have. Eg. We would love to send the kids to a private/Christian school and I would need to work full time to do that. Family holidays/experiences and extra curricular activities.
    Anyone who does work full time ... Are your kids turning out fine? Are they happy and secure? I guess that is my biggest worry - I don't want working full time to be to their detriment.

Thanks
    Libby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I was in your situation, then yes I would go back full time- sounds like it works for all of you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi. For our family having 2 parents working fulltime works, everyone is happy. I work 7.30 to 2.00 so school hrs Mon to Fri, I also work Saturday mornings at my other workplace. Ds1 mr 8yr old and ds2 mr 5yr old are in school and ds3 is in daycare. All 3 of our boys have been in daycare and have loved it. They are all happy chilled out little men. Sounds like it will be fine for your family too.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2016),hazzyj  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you done your child care maths? With the CCR cap and paying extra tax working full time is not better for us financially.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I think it will work I just never thought I'd be a full time working mum but I am actually liking it. Just want to make sure the family is happy.

Yep I've done the maths and we are still better off with two full time wages and will be even more so next year with 2 at school and 1 in DC 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 19 months and I've been working full time for the last 4 months. He's in daycare 3 days a week and with his grandparents 2 days and he's been doing great. He loves daycare now after a bit of a settling in period, they do lots of fun things and he barely wants to come home now! his grandparents dote on him and he has a great time with them too. Saying that I have been on casual rates so working full time has been worth it even with childcare costs. I'm moving to a contract and obviously while this is great I now won't get the casual loadings, so I've negotiated 4 days a week. 4 days means I still have a decent income to build our family home but working that extra day wasn't worth it as I will then be paying hecs & childcare which takes up most of that day's pay. That extra day wasn't worth it, but 4 days is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, congrats on your full time contract. It sounds like a win win situation for your family, with real benefits. For us, yes its worth it! Aside from the extra money, dh and i both love our jobs and i would do it for free if we could. Our children are fine. 9 and 7 yr old love school and we use oosh for 2 afternoons and have someone look after them at home 3 days. She takes them to soccer training and dh or i try to meet up there at around 6pm. 3 year old in a nice long day preschool which she loves. We can rarely make school assemblies and things like that but if its a special one then we try and have a grandparent there or one of us. Also for concerts and things like that, we juggle it. I miss picking them up right after school. We keep weekends for family time and a few social things. Its not perfect but its okay. My kids do volunteer work once a month clearing a local reserve and ds1 cannot wait to get his first job at 14. I'm all for it. Both of us working full time is okay for our family.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2016),hazzyj  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear from mums in my position and how it works for you.
    I've been off work with my little one who's sick and it's been nice doing school drop off and pick up but on the same note I'm looking forward to getting back to work. And when I think financially I feel a big sense of relief for the first time in a long time that it's not really an issue for us at the moment which is great.
    It's a good idea to have a grandparent or someone who can be there for special events of you can't. I should be able to take a morning here or afternoon there if need be.

It's also a great idea having someone look after your kids after school and take them to sport etc. can I ask where you found her? I think that would work well when both my older two are at school as I was worried about juggling after school activities

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, we use a family friend who has 2 little ones of her own and likes a bit of extra $. I prep dinner and she warms it up for them (mine eat early 5pm) and she pops on a load of washing here and there too. I did advertise on find a babysitter too and heaps of people came forward. My kids have been in oosh 5 afternoons a week previously. It was fine too but i do think they enjoy a bit more down time at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh ok cool, that's a good idea. Will keep that in mind when the time comes!
    I think the thing that makes a huge difference when you work full time is if you enjoy your job or not ... Can definitely make or break. I can't envision ever leaving mine as the benefits and conditions are just too good!