+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will your bank understand that you have ****ty tenants and give you a stay on your repayments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm so sorry you're in this situation. If the tenants had been paying their rent would money have still been an issue? If not, can you ask family of you could borrow some money until the tribunal sorts out getting rent back from the tenants and you get new tenants (who will hopefully actually pay their rent)?

This thread also shows that not all landlords are wealthy people dodging tax which I think is often the perception... (Sorry, side note).
    Yep that's why I stayed out of that thread 😝 I was getting angry haha! No we would have income as our actual mortgage is $250 but her rent is supposed to be $330 but i pay more to make it cover rates etc at end of year/months etc on redraw. I hate asking for money UGH!! Our credit card is only 8k thankfully I wish we could just forward tax time haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you really need private health insurance? That'd be the first thing I'd ditch. I would try as hard as possible to hold onto the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there any way you can get rid of the car that's costing $210 a week? That's a sh!tload of money for a car every week. Can you downgrade?
    Maybe ditch phi temporarily too.
    Definitely need to get in touch with everyone and work out a plan, financial counsellor will probably help a lot with that and negotiate for you. https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/managi...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Do you really need private health insurance? That'd be the first thing I'd ditch. I would try as hard as possible to hold onto the house.
    If you're over 30 and don't have PHI then you will pay more for it for the rest of your life when you sign back up

Sorry OP not sure how old you and your partner are but that's worth taking into consideration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    If you're over 30 and don't have PHI then you will pay more for it for the rest of your life when you sign back up
    Or maybe swap to the cheapest policy you can find, just to maintain the services you consider essential and to avoid the over 30 PHI loading.

Is there an option to move credit card providers and roll over your cc debt to a new card that has an introductory interest free period? It might give you an extra month or two to pay down the principal some more before interest kicks back in again. If you have a good credit history, maybe they'd consider it despite your current income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is 30 this year.

If I sell the car what happens I just pay the loan? Sorry I don't really understand car loans I sound stupid I know. Or can I trade it in for a smaller car? :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not sell the house unless I was about to lose it. You need to look at that as an 'asset' or positive debt. It would be waaaay harder to get back into the market later on.

Can you sell the car? How much would it be with & how much would you have left to pay off?

Can you ditch or reduce the other stuff? Reduce phone/internet plans, foxtel (if u have it).

The water bill seems a lot - do you mind me asking how come it's that large? Can you look at reducing consumption some way - a genuine question - not trying to be mean.

Have u got any old stuff you can sell on eBay? Old cots, other baby stuff - even just for $50.. It might help you pay stuff off or buy some yummy groceries.

Hope that helps 😘😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    DH is 30 this year.

If I sell the car what happens I just pay the loan? Sorry I don't really understand car loans I sound stupid I know. Or can I trade it in for a smaller car? :/
    you'd sell the car and repay whatever's owing on the loan. any excess could be put towards a new (smaller) car with lower repayments.

$210 a week is a huge amount, that's definitely a luxury you can't really afford right now. tend to agree re phi. or can you just reduce the cover to the most basic hospital cover until you're back on your feet? you'd avoid the lifetime loading thing and get to lower your payment amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Talk to your bank about getting a line of credit or overdraft on your mortgage ( if you have enough equity in the home) the interest rate will be so much better and pay off your credit card with it as that interest will probably be triple and possibly the car loan ( or sell and get a cheaper car) get In front with all your bills and hopefully once you get back on your feet ( full time work and rent paid by tenants) you can pay off the line of credit and just keep it for emergencies , I'd keep your health insurance just in case as I know you and your DS have had some health struggles