Reflux and sleep positions | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Reflux and sleep positions

Me again! Wandering what other mummies have done with regard to helping their reflux babies to sleep. It was suggested to me to try side lying and/or lying on tummy. Obviously not sids safe, but I doubt a mummy falling asleep with her upright baby on her chest is sids safe either...

So if you tried either of these positions, what worked, what safety precautions did you take, what age did you start from, did you have them in a bassinet or in your bed? Different for day and night sleeps?

So far I have found a small improvement going from back to side lying (in bed next to me) but I am too scared to try tummy sleeping yet. DS2 is almost 8 weeks old with good neck strength (ie can push himself up on tummy).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just adding have already tried (and continue to) putting a rolled towel under bassinet mattress to raise the head etc. We have done this from week 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our son slept in his lamb swing for nearly first year of life. Paed said it was fine and sids just happens so me putting him in there wasn't putting him at risk there is certain babies it happens too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have spewy babies. Not reflux but I have the bassinet at at 30-45 degree angle. Still have dd3s like that at 6mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Day sleep was tummy then after 3 months night sleep was tummy too. Childcare also let her sleep on her tummy (from 4 months).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Day sleep was tummy then after 3 months night sleep was tummy too. Childcare also let her sleep on her tummy (from 4 months).
    Did your LO go to sleep on tummy or did she fall asleep in your arms then put her on tummy? I have only tried a couple of times and X just lifts himself up like tummy time. He might be too alert during day/easily woken? I haven't tried at night though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Did your LO go to sleep on tummy or did she fall asleep in your arms then put her on tummy? I have only tried a couple of times and X just lifts himself up like tummy time. He might be too alert during day/easily woken? I haven't tried at night though.
    Initially she fell asleep on me and I'd put her down on her tummy then we moved to just putting her on her tummy and patting. She was too small/weak to lift much for tummy time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is your DS able to lift his head much in tummy time?

My DD sleeps a lot on her side atm. She does not have reflux as far as I know bit she is spewy and prefers it.

If you want to try side sleeping you can get sleep wedges that can stop rolling on tummy until he rolls on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sunny we tried this - it's a sleep positioner on an elevated angle. It can help stop them rolling to tummy if you put them on their side
    http://www.babybunting.com.au/baby-s...ted-wedge.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Sunny we tried this - it's a sleep positioner on an elevated angle. It can help stop them rolling to tummy if you put them on their side
    http://www.babybunting.com.au/baby-s...ted-wedge.html
    Thanks I was looking at these online last night I might go to bunting today if I get the chance, I think that would be perfect.