+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night terrors?

Last edited by yadot; 15-05-2016 at 18:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's quite a few threads on this. In the search icon I think type in night terrors and they should come up.

From experience, you are meant to let them be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like night terrors. Distressing, but nothing you can do. The good thing is that because they happen during deep sleep, kids aren't aware of and don't remember them. All you can really do is wait it out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS had a few of them at that age. I just made sure he couldn't hurt himself and waited it out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like night terrors. DS used to suffer from them them. The first one he had was truly terrifying for us.

A dr we saw whist DS was in hospital for asthma (and who saw DS having several terrors overnight) recommend that we wake him gently approximately 1 hr after he goes to sleep - (as he normally started having a terror 2 hrs after going to sleep) - this resets the sleep pattern. He said to do this for 3 nights. We followed his advice and it stopped them.

Best wishes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally sounds like night terrors. It's awful when they look right at you but seem to look through you, they are not really there etc. my DH still gets them occasionally (!!) but it's normally a childhood thing. DS1 has had a few I am hopeful he isn't as bad as his dad though. Often he does these weird repetitive movements too.

Not much you can do. Just hold them and reassure them you are there the can hear you even if they don't acknowledge you. Use a calm voice and don't expect a response. We find he usually settles (often snaps back to sleep like nothing happened) within a couple of minutes. Sometimes I have turned on a light and taken him for a walk down the hall/toilet trip he dies it all while sleeping but the break seems to help sometimes.
    With night terrors they generally have no memory of it the next day so don't stress too much it's an unconscious thing.
    General things such as no tv before bed, calm bedtime routine etc can help apparently - can't hurt. It's part of their brain that doesn't shut off when the rest of the body is unconscious.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being too hot can contribute to it - both of mine suffered with night terrors. I even now let them fall asleep with less covers than needed for the night and put the extra on when I go to bed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Being too hot can contribute to it - both of mine suffered with night terrors. I even now let them fall asleep with less covers than needed for the night and put the extra on when I go to bed.
    I do this too! If I put the covers on DD at bedtime she just wakes up in a state, all sweaty & horrible at about 9pm. She goes to bed with just a sheet & I sneak in before I go to bed to cover her up. I thought she was a weirdo, glad I'm not the only one who has to do this!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Raising Leprechauns  (06-05-2016)