+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS won't walk. Being lazy

So this maybe the wrong section but oh well.

A quick question! What would you ladies do in my situation. When we go shopping (or anywhere really) that requires DS to walk, he absolutely refuses. If we get him out of the car and put him on the ground he holds his legs up so he won't stand up. Sometimes I go with it and refuse to carry him and other days I just pick him back and huff and puff about it ( I know not the best option) I don't really want to leave him sitting on the ground in a car park. Pretty nasty.

He's also a runner so gets Sh!tty and drops to the ground and spins around when we hold his hand. Some days he walks perfectly, holds hands and is an angel and other days I literally don't know why I bother.

What can I do to fix this 😰 I really dont enjoy going out just us because I know my arm will be killing me by the end of it.
    It sets my anxiety off when he starts all of this because I feel like I'm being judged for him not wanting to do what I need him to do. (I know it sounds so dumb!!) I also feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Sorry for the ramble! Any help would be great thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is your ds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old?
    Carriers come in toddler and pre-schooler sizes, that would be my first move. I know that's not practical for everyone, but if it's a choice between carrying a small child in arms or carrying them on my back in an ergonomic carrier, I know which one I'd go with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh whoops sorry. He's 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    How old?
    Carriers come in toddler and pre-schooler sizes, that would be my first move. I know that's not practical for everyone, but if it's a choice between carrying a small child in arms or carrying them on my back in an ergonomic carrier, I know which one I'd go with.
    This. I carry my almost 2 yr old DD in a toddler carrier on my back when I know we're going somewhere she needs to be contained do she doesn't destroy the place. She can see everything from my level and is happy to just check things out from that perspective most of the time.
    Can you strap him in a pram?
    Hopefully it's a phase and will be over quickly for you, sounds very frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never really thought about a carrier. Not sure I'd be able to handle him on my back. He's reasonably heavy for me lol

I don't usually take the pram but maybe I'll just have to put him in there and bear it. He's not overly fond of the pram. He just doesn't listen so I can't trust him to walk without holding hands.

I really hope it's a phase 😒

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Could you try scheduling 10 minutes at a playground after every shop (or whenever), and if he refuses to walk you can say things like 'if you're too tired to walk I guess we can't visit the playground'? I know it'd be a PITA for a while but it worked for my DS. I figured I only spent the time I spent waiting for him to decide to walk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He's 2. Sorry but I would still have him in pram don't stress about it too much.

Ds is a runner too no choice but sit down in the pram strapped safely

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (27-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2016),Sethysmum  (28-04-2016),Tinkers  (27-04-2016),VicPark  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Pram!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were still using the pram at that age or smart trike, carriers were not an option for us. Just walking round a shopping centre is hard work on little two year old legs. 🙂

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2016)