+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When my students have trouble with the red words I break them down into the Phonetic ones and teach those first (those that sound out normally). The red list is huge with a lot of words that break regular spelling patterns. It's important that when teaching these words you do use any phonetic links and point out when they are not completely phonetic. Then, add the harder ones 1-2 at a time (2 when they link like we and he and teach your child that these words use the long/other vowel sound). Teach/expose your child to the word or to build towards "for".

There are some great activity suggestions here! Others I like are posting words over doors and entry to rooms is via that word "password" -either spelling or reading depending on focus. Old school cut and paste or magnetic letters works really well for those words that share spelling patterns (or/for, as/at). Sensory activities tend to engage kids the most! Oh and writing words on large duplo and then the letters on smaller duplo pieces to match and make.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sightwords.. At my wits end. Pls help.

Sight word twister is another good one -left hand on said etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do our sight words in the car every morning on the way to school (25 min trip) , I know his teachers aide goes over it with them in class each week and they have all the words stuck all over the class room, he gets a coloured laminated sheet (usually has 12 words on it) every week plus as pp said most are in his home readers or library books which we read at night, the sheets are different colours so it sounds like the same as everyone else , they have no time limit on it but we seem to get through the one sheet a week quite easily but having the designated time in the car every morning when he's most alert definitely helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a teacher but here's my take on it.. allot of sight words can't be sounded out or don't follow they 'rules' . So really the only way to make them stick is to memorise them and that is just about repetition.

I've made up sheets for dds sight words where she has to write the word four times (saying it as she writes), then she has to find and circle the words among a whole lot of other words and lastly cut out letter tiles and rearrange and stick them in the correct order to spell the word. She loves the sheets and often asks to do one when she's bored.

We also give her any junk mail with a list of two or three words that she has to circle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Check out Pinterest for ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Sightwords.. At my wits end. Pls help.

How many sight words did your child learn in kindergarten ( or if any teachers around is there a minimum number required for kindy?)
    DS teacher wrote me a note in his diary today saying he has finished all his sight words so won't be getting any more new ones sent home - I thought they would just kept going with endless lists! I'll talk to her about it tomorrow but am just interested to see if it's a set number for all kids? His list has 260 words

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My son is in preprimary. He has them but we don't do them. I don't really do homework in preprimary. I don't agree with it so we don't do it. If he wants to sure but if not then we skip it.

He's my 3rd and I'm happy with this as I know they all get there in the end.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-06-2016),Stretched  (23-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sure all these ideas have been mentioned. But I just wanted to say I understand! I have and still am going through the same thing. My son struggles with reading and site words, he needs to get things in his own way before things stick.
    Games are the best way make them fun! And be consistent you have to do it everyday. Pinterest has some good ideas. Some of my sons favourites were where we made a monster out of a box and we would go through the Words first together. ( I would select four at a time, he seemed to get confused when I gave him too many. Then I would ask him to guess/sound out the word put it in the monster. If he got it right the monster would eat it, if he got it wrong the monster would throw it up. He thought it was hilarious. Writing them also helps memory. He would practice writing them then we would try and guess/sound them out. My son also loved those wipeable cards and magnets! He will quite often pull them out and spell things on the fridge.
    It takes a lot of repetition and patience on your behalf. But they get there! My son still struggles he is in grade one he is one of the younger kids. He only turned 6 in March. They now have him in a reading program and the fact he is reading to his teacher, the program teach and me has helped him a lot this year. Your son will get there too just take a breath and find some activities he will love and incorporate his sight words good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We do our sight words in the car every morning on the way to school (25 min trip) , I know his teachers aide goes over it with them in class each week and they have all the words stuck all over the class room, he gets a coloured laminated sheet (usually has 12 words on it) every week plus as pp said most are in his home readers or library books which we read at night, the sheets are different colours so it sounds like the same as everyone else , they have no time limit on it but we seem to get through the one sheet a week quite easily but having the designated time in the car every morning when he's most alert definitely helps!
    You can Google Oxford word lists, which goes up to 400. BUT (I like big buts ) only continue if he enjoys sight words.

Personally, I would shift his focus now onto other skills for decoding text through reading books and other text sources (signs, packets/labels etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use Reading Eggs & love it. Laziest teaching ever. My 5 year old seems to really "get it" after the lessons & having a sleep on it all.