+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to transition to daycare - 3 yo with severe seperation anxiety

When DD was 12 months we tried a family daycare. We did play dates to get her used to it etc but then when I left her she went hysterical for over an hour. In the end the carer didn't think she would be ready.
    She's now 3 and has only been cared for by family. I'm currently on mat leave with DS who is 12 weeks. I've enrolled both of them into daycare for next year as the two of them will be too much for my Mum. I'm really happy with the centre and by Sept they will know when the two can start.
    My issue is DDs seperation anxiety never got better. I can honestly imagine she will cry all day! I don't think it will be the 5 mins when mum leaves that everyone talks about. How can I help her transition? She really needs to go because I need to work and she will be 4 next year so really needs to start getting school ready. she also has a speech and language delay and is delayed in gross/fine motor skills also (she was premmie). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor kid.
    I have no advice sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for some ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about some books about starting day care and have some talks about starting so she understands how it works, how much fun she'll have, that mum comes to pick her up when it's time. If she has a favourite activity (craft etc) talk to her about how she will be able to do it there etc

Then I would take her to day care quite a few times and stay with her while she plays and gets to know the carer's. Then eventually I'd leave her for say half hour and gradually longer and longer. You might want a reward chart or a small prize for being brave at day care when mums not there?

Talk up how you have a special job for her to look out for DS while at day care etc as she's such a big girl now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could you make up a little book with photos of the center and go through that regularly with her, talking about the different things she would do there? It could make it less daunting when she walks through the door for the first time.

I'd then slowly build up her time there - a few visits with you, then half days, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My niece had the same problem , she cried every day for a year at 3 year old pre school and SIL actually took her to a phycologist who suggested a few books, taking a special doll that they bought specifically for pre school and had her mums hair clips on it , plus a photo of SIL in her back pack so mummy was always with her and they made a special saying every time they did a drop off , it did take time but she's fine now