+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess once you get into a routine things settle down ok. My problem is that ds2 is just so demanding, if I have to have him with me while trying to put ds1 to bed he's jumping around screeching, trying to rip pages of book, crying etc so it just ends up being quite stressful. At the moment I think I'm just struggling with not having a clear plan of what I want and what is working. Part of the time I try and accept that if ds2 needs me to sleep next to him that's not a problem, but then he's not always that happy doing that either. Last night even though he was in bed with me he was still waking up every 30 mins, sitting up and screaming as he was frustrated at not being able to sleep. When he gets like that he won't even feed or lie on me so it's just so draining to try and calm a hysterical baby all night. And I think seeing how he was during the evening just made me realise that I don't think it would work for me as i need those couple hours of downtime and to be spending them going in and out of his room 10 times to settle him, having dinner ruined as I couldn't keep an eye on it etc just stressed me out. I just want some sleep. It's crazy that some days I wake up and think "wow that was an amazing night. He only woke at 10,1,3 and 4 for feeds but slept in between." Most people complain about a couple of night wakings but if I could at least have a few hours break in between feeds and have a baby that is happy sleeping not up and down all night i would be happy.
    I have a fitness monitor that tracks sleep and it's interesting to see the difference between a good and bad night.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1461887443.389097.jpg
    Good night with 4 feeds (ignore times as we were in Spain)

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1461887484.777369.jpg
    Last night. 😩

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post

The trick is to think that sitting with your kids is enjoyable. I've always loved that quiet time with them in the evenings. We read a book or two, say prayers, give thanks for our day and as they sleep I can watch their faces relax and go to sleep peacefully..
    This is what I do. We nightweaned our DD (4.5) at 2 and 2 months and moved her into her room. We lay next to her as she goes to sleep after she has a story. It takes 5-10 minutes and I read ir bubhub or facebook.or put my earphones in and watch netflix.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can't you simplify things by
    A) cooking dinner earlier
    B) eating earlier?
    C) tag teaming kid wrangling with hubby if possible
    D) use calming music to soothe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I've just got back from gp who has done a referral to tresillian for a residential stay. Waiting list is about 4-6 weeks.
    It's worth the wait. Send them your docs ASAP.

We were on 2 lists, public and private. I got into the private in less than 4 weeks, while the public would have been 8 week (from when I sent the referral in to when we were booked - which i ended up cancelling).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    It's worth the wait. Send them your docs ASAP.

We were on 2 lists, public and private. I got into the private in less than 4 weeks, while the public would have been 8 week (from when I sent the referral in to when we were booked - which i ended up cancelling).
    I didn't realise they had a private list. Do you mind if I ask how much it was? Pm me if you don't want to say on here. I'm kind of thinking that I've managed for 10 months so another couple probably won't make a huge difference! Also I'm probably going to have to try and put ds1 into childcare those days as dh doesn't have much holiday left. But it's worth looking into. The lady said the wait was 4-6 weeks when I phoned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I didn't realise they had a private list. Do you mind if I ask how much it was? Pm me if you don't want to say on here. I'm kind of thinking that I've managed for 10 months so another couple probably won't make a huge difference! Also I'm probably going to have to try and put ds1 into childcare those days as dh doesn't have much holiday left. But it's worth looking into. The lady said the wait was 4-6 weeks when I phoned.
    Sorry, I meant private and public hospitals. There are about half a dozen sleep schools in Melbourne, if not more, so we were on the list at 2 different ones.

We didn't pay a cent, it was all covered by private health. They should call your fund and check for you prior to admission. I've no idea if you're paying out of pocket.

I would still do it. My nephew has only just started sleeping decently at almost 3. My cousin tried a private sleep consultant with minimal results and ultimately decided to ride it out. She's been exhausted for the entire time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Booked into sleep school in 3 weeks, yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 I realise this is an old post but am currently going through a similar thing with my 4 month old. Started co sleeping just to get some sleep (I have to lie with him during day naps too!!) and I just can't do it anymore. Just wondering what ended up working for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleep school is about cc with various names to make it sound better.... I had same issue with co sleep.... He's just turned 2.... By 1 I was starting to be able to put him down on bed for first half of sleep then pick up and hold to finish nap when wakes....now he's just last week started sleeping thru most night.... I sleep at other end if bed so we're close, others side car cot....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    Sleep school is about cc with various names to make it sound better.... I had same issue with co sleep.... He's just turned 2.... By 1 I was starting to be able to put him down on bed for first half of sleep then pick up and hold to finish nap when wakes....now he's just last week started sleeping thru most night.... I sleep at other end if bed so we're close, others side car cot....
    Sorry but this is very uninformed. I went to sleep school with my 7 month old in February. They explicitly did not allow people to do controlled crying there and they practice attachment parenting and encourage room sharing. So not all sleep schools are controlled crying under a different name to 'sound better'.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (28-07-2016)