+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    A good friend of mine got a tooth infection and couldn't afford to go to the dentist and was waiting until she could save up enough to pay for it. She didn't make it in time, the infection spread to her heart and she died. She was 29. This should not happen in a first world country. It's totally unacceptable.
    That is really tragic I've heard similar stories. It's beyond belief that this can happen in Australia.

Are the waiting lists for general check up or for emergency dental care or both? Also do you need to be a health care card holder if you have a dental emergency, eg you knock all your teeth out in an accident? Or can you just go to your local hospital for treatment?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As someone that smoked 20 years.... none of that even made a dent in me giving up. When we went to restaurants I'd just rush DH so I could have one outside. I bought a cigarette case so I didn't have to look at the images. The plain casing did nothing either. I gave up bc I fell pg and I was ready.

I've said it before - I think non smokers lack a lot of insight into the addiction of smoking. What works and doesn't work. Why people smoke to begin with. Why the finally give up.
    You're not seeing the big picture. The campaign might not have made a big difference to yourself or others that were addicted to nicotine, but the next generation were not as susceptible to becoming addicted because (1) smoking wasn't cool or sexy anymore (2) smoking was anti social (3) smoking was likely to make you get cancer, rotting teeth, premature ageing, etc.

ETA - I was a smoker too, for many years from a very young age. So I know the struggles. I also know from my personal experience that all the above that I mentioned contributed to my decision to quit, well before I got married, had kids etc. once I couldn't smoke in cafes and bars anymore and all my friends decided not to do it, and I realised a lot of my health problems were due to my smoking, it was time to stop.
    Last edited by witherwings; 27-04-2016 at 21:02.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-04-2016),Bongley  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't remember which government it was that did it, but I loathe the resettling of legitimate refugees in PNG. Kind of off topic but I'm in a mood to rant.
    Under the Howard government, all refugees who arrived by boat to manus island and Nairu were resettled in various countries including Australia, New Zealand, Canada and some Scandinavian countries, once they had been deemed genuine refugees - About 70% from memory. The other 30% were sent back to where they came from. None of them were permanently settled in PNG. The abolition of the pacific solution created a humanitarian crisis with people coming on boats by the thousands every year, compared to a handful under the previous policy.

ETA: abolition by the Rudd government..

Since then it has been an absolute mess and only gotten worse with tony abbott's draconian border protection policies. And I'm a LNP member, so I hate to admit when my party has failed but they FAILED when it comes to immigration. I really hope Turnbull has the guts to make a change. Unfortunately he is too scared to get booted from the leadership.
    Last edited by witherwings; 27-04-2016 at 20:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Under the Howard government, all refugees who arrived by boat to manus island and Nairu were resettled in various countries including Australia, New Zealand, Canada and some Scandinavian countries, once they had been deemed genuine refugees - About 70% from memory. The other 30% were sent back to where they came from. None of them were permanently settled in PNG. The abolition of the pacific solution created a humanitarian crisis with people coming on boats by the thousands every year, compared to a handful under the previous policy.
    Oh I read that some people were settled in PNG very recently? And that they hated it so much they went back to the detention centre and tried to break in because conditions were better in the camp than out. But who knows, it could have been the media making stuff up for headlines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As someone that smoked 20 years.... none of that even made a dent in me giving up. When we went to restaurants I'd just rush DH so I could have one outside. I bought a cigarette case so I didn't have to look at the images. The plain casing did nothing either. I gave up bc I fell pg and I was ready.

I've said it before - I think non smokers lack a lot of insight into the addiction of smoking. What works and doesn't work. Why people smoke to begin with. Why the finally give up.
    It may not have impacted YOUR smoking habits. But the data show that it does lower smoking across the community.

Because it is not true for you and your friends does not make it false for the whole community.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-04-2016),Bongley  (28-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I read that some people were settled in PNG very recently? And that they hated it so much they went back to the detention centre and tried to break in because conditions were better in the camp than out. But who knows, it could have been the media making stuff up for headlines.
    You're right - i just looked into it. It's called the PNG solution, introduced by good old k Rudd.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNG_solution

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It may not have impacted YOUR smoking habits. But the data show that it does lower smoking across the community.

Because it is not true for you and your friends does not make it false for the whole community.
    Stats show that smoking is steadily decreasing (which is wonderful) but there is no proof it is directly bc people can't smoke in the pub or get a packet with rotten teeth on it. The fall really started in the late 80's to early 90's, long before plain packaging, scary pictures and expensive taxes.

My point in all of this is that just like smoking, this sugar tax isn't really about having people cut back on sugar. It's about making money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was the Abbott govt. Hockey said it.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/hoc...17-gjpeh6.html
    What a privileged out of touch tosser.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (28-04-2016),delirium  (27-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But back to topic lol I'm interested in what everyone thinks of Turnbull? Effective or ineffectual? Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This biggest thing I want from this government is to commit to the final 2 years of gonski. It's only 2 years but a lifetime investment in the future of our country. This will create a more skilled and educated Australia that is fairer. A place that invests funds at the greatest point of need.

This government needs to stop seeing gonski as a financial burden. It is a wise investment.

If they can spend $50 billion building new submarines then they can afford $30 billion to educate the future of this country.
    The labor Party has committed to keep gonski funding if they get elected this year, so hopefully this will be enough for LNP to also commit to the final 2 years. It would be political suicide to cut it.
    Last edited by witherwings; 27-04-2016 at 21:21.