+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    About the sugar tax...

"The British Telegraph at, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...very-year.html says research published in the British Medical Journal finds that the introduction of a 10 per cent tax on sugar-sweetened drinks in Mexico, resulted in a 12 per cent reduction in sales.
    The greatest reduction came in the poorest households, where monthly purchases of sweet drinks fell by 17 per cent.
    Meanwhile, there was a four per cent rise in sales of untaxed drinks – mainly due to more purchases of bottled plain water."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-04-2016),Anjalee  (28-04-2016),witherwings  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Yes but the same could be said for cigarettes.
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I was thinking of bringing up cigarettes but didn't want to be lynched in here!
    I actually was going to use an example of how the tax on cigarettes hasn't worked for everyone, but thought that would open a can of worms. So, I shall now...
    I know someone that switched their baby to cows milk well before 12 months because they didn't have enough for a tin of formula after they bought cigarettes.

I'm not disputing that taxes can decrease the number of smokers, sugar consumption etc., but is it going to help the people the people that probably need it most?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (27-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (28-04-2016),Nemmi1987  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No idea. I have never used them. I didn't even know everyone could access them.
    They can't. It's only for families who get family tax benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No idea. I have never used them. I didn't even know everyone could access them.
    Only children and people with health care cards or selected diseases can see a public dentist here.
    The wait for a check up for adults is 2 years. For kids it done school by school every second year or make appointment to see them in between if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I actually was going to use an example of how the tax on cigarettes hasn't worked for everyone, but thought that would open a can of worms. So, I shall now...
    I know someone that switched their baby to cows milk well before 12 months because they didn't have enough for a tin of formula after they bought cigarettes.

I'm not disputing that taxes can decrease the number of smokers, sugar consumption etc., but is it going to help the people the people that probably need it most?
    Some people are beyond help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

I don't think public policy should help everyone. But it should be for the greater good.

In the case of the sugar tax the British medical journal research suggests that it will have a positive impact on sugary drinks consumption especially amongst poorest households.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As far as I'm aware, the public dentists are accessible to all children. It's the adults that require a health care card to be seen.
    Wait times vary depending where you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    They can't. It's only for families who get family tax benefit.
    I'm talking about public dentists. I thought public dentists (in NSW anyway) was for health care card holders and pensioners.

People who get ftb can go to any dentist, the government wants to change this so people must go to a public dentist instead of being able to choose your own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The sugar tax is nothing but a thinly veiled revenue raiser like the cigarette taxes. I've been a non smoker for a while now but in all the years I did, none of the govts ever provided real support to give up. And the cigarette tax has never deterred smokers, poor people just take those extra dollars from the shopping or bill money and keep smoking. This is simply another tax to bring in more dollars and naive people will back pat them for caring about people's health. People are still going to buy the same amounts of sugar it will just mean a few extra bucks per shop that goes to the govt.

As to their plans for dental. Awful awful decision. Our 'local' public dental clinic is 150km round trip, now services around 100,000 people and has almost a 2 year waiting list. What will happen is rather than just a filling, by the time the kids actually can get in, they will need an extraction. They know the public queues, like someone else said, it's about pushing people into paying themselves at private dentists.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (27-04-2016),Nemmi1987  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This biggest thing I want from this government is to commit to the final 2 years of gonski. It's only 2 years but a lifetime investment in the future of our country. This will create a more skilled and educated Australia that is fairer. A place that invests funds at the greatest point of need.

This government needs to stop seeing gonski as a financial burden. It is a wise investment.

If they can spend $50 billion building new submarines then they can afford $30 billion to educate the future of this country.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-04-2016),Bongley  (28-04-2016),delirium  (27-04-2016),LaDiDah  (27-04-2016),mrswhitehouse  (27-04-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (27-04-2016)