+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do you know you don't have to make your child sit NAPLAN?

Teachers in NSW public schools have been allocated an extra $17 million for professional learning this year, which is a 50% increase.

Yes, I know that NAPLAN is voluntary. For now. WA is trying to sell it as compulsory by selling it as a trade off requirement for high school literacy tests that are mandatory there so it's only a matter of time before that's impressed upon us too. Either way, they take a long walk off a short pier: my kids aren't sitting it. Ever. And I'm not against testing by the way. I'm against ineffective testing which, time and time again, NAPLAN has been proven to be and it's anything but an accurate comparative national snapshot of academic efficiency.

The funding you refer to is not part of this budget. This was a top up to the teacher training plan that is being implemented by the NSW state government and NSW Teachers Federation in 2018 that will demand that all teachers undertake 100 hours of further training every five years in order to retain their registration. That was announced back in 2014.
    Last edited by Mrs Tickle; 03-05-2016 at 14:22. Reason: added quote so readers would know who the response was to :)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do teachers now not have to do any compulsory continuing professional development to keep their teaching jobs/qualifications?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Do teachers now not have to do any compulsory continuing professional development to keep their teaching jobs/qualifications?
    No. And they don't do literacy and numeracy, science, etc in their training either. My cousin can't spell to save her life and she teaches year 2s. This is quite common. Unlike other countries, you do not have to be scholarly (or have a high uni entry score) to be a teacher in Australia.

There is a new numeracy and literacy test commencing next year for graduating students who must pass it in order to get registration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    Yes, I know that NAPLAN is voluntary. For now. WA is trying to sell it as compulsory by selling it as a trade off requirement for high school literacy tests that are mandatory there so it's only a matter of time before that's impressed upon us too. Either way, they take a long walk off a short pier: my kids aren't sitting it. Ever. And I'm not against testing by the way. I'm against ineffective testing which, time and time again, NAPLAN has been proven to be and it's anything but an accurate comparative national snapshot of academic efficiency.

The funding you refer to is not part of this budget. This was a top up to the teacher training plan that is being implemented by the NSW state government and NSW Teachers Federation in 2018 that will demand that all teachers undertake 100 hours of further training every five years in order to retain their registration. That was announced back in 2014.
    Being a NSW public school teacher, I am aware the funding for professional learning has come from the state government. All teachers in NSW who qualified after 2004 already have to do 100 hours of professional learning over 5 years to maintain accreditation. Teachers who qualified before 2004 will automatically be accredited by 1st January 2018 and they are the ones who will then have to do 100 hours professional learning over 5 years for their accreditation maintenance.

NAPLAN is not a bad thing. It is a way to see where your child is at as s parent and as one of many diagnostic tools for teachers. But that is all it should be used for. Not myschool website or league tables.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes they do,but it varies from state to state as to the amount. In SA, we have to do 60 hours of training over a 3 year period to stay registered. DECS & individual schools will also have their own requirements. Then there's a requirement for a minimum number of teaching hours required - in SA it's 200hrs in a 3yr period,with different allocations for teachers on leave with their own children, etc. It varies so much from state to state, so I personally think a uniform Aust wide registration body is neccesary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Thats not the time they are at school, this is actual work hours as published by French teachers union...
    So if the teachers have the children from 8-4,when do they do their programming & planning, marking, report writing, collating assessment, review and evaluation, These aren't things they can do while they are teaching.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

Yes they do. See my above post for NSW public school teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes they most definitely do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No. And they don't do literacy and numeracy, science, etc in their training either. My cousin can't spell to save her life and she teaches year 2s. This is quite common. Unlike other countries, you do not have to be scholarly (or have a high uni entry score) to be a teacher in Australia.

There is a new numeracy and literacy test commencing next year for graduating students who must pass it in order to get registration.
    I'm not sure where this is coming from but it's untrue. There are multiple literacy modules - on reading and writing (different text types). Multiple modules on maths, HSIE, Science, Art, PE and others on working with diverse learners, alongside blocks of placement.

I've found the course very demanding and this is my second degree. Of course there are crap teachers out there, but expectations and requirements have got really tough the last 5-10 years.

The test is actually this year and I have sat the practice one and it's quite tough. It's your prerogative to have such a low opinion of teacher's intellect but I can assure you the current course is challenging (as it should be).
    Last edited by delirium; 03-05-2016 at 15:19.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry,but this information is completely incorrect. Teachers do have science, literacy and numeracy etc in our training. A teaching degree has exams, assignments,essays, practicums, like any other degree. It's not something you can do without an adequate level of skill. You are also incorrect about ongoing professional development. It's obvious you have a lack of respect for teachers & their profession, but at least make sure your information is correct.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-05-2016),LaDiDah  (03-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (03-05-2016)