+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Wow that's amazing. Go you. I can see why you don't want to get stung again. Seriously impressed.
    Thanks. It's mainly driven by DH. He has never had a filling in his life and I think he took the problems with DD1's teeth pretty hard. It's also pretty confronting being lectured over and over again by a dentist.
    Last edited by Sonja; 01-05-2016 at 15:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Nooo :0 Funding should be based on disadvantage of the individual students, not on performance. This is a terrible terrible plan! The first article you posted also said teacher pay would be linked to student performance. Because we all know students who perform well & are bright and clever are the 'difficult' ones to teach :0 What a way to degrade the profession. I wonder if performance based pay would be forced to follow on through to the private system? Just disgusting proposals.
    I have to agree with this. What an AWFUL policy! I really hope this is based on media speculation, as I haven't read any official announcements about how it will all work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I only have a child in kindy so I am totally ignorant about all the other class years and what they are teaching yet but why are we so behind in education compared to the rest of the world? Why are our reading and maths skills so bad? That report said it would make sure all year 12 students will reach a standard literacy and numeracy skills before leaving school - why don't they now???
    Don't we have a national curriculum that teaches the basics ? Why are 1st class kids behind? Is it that we need more teachers or do other countries have a better way of learning - or should we as parents be doing more at home? Im all for more school funding but want to make sure it's going to make a difference - it seems like neither government has a proper plan?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I only have a child in kindy so I am totally ignorant about all the other class years and what they are teaching yet but why are we so behind in education compared to the rest of the world? Why are our reading and maths skills so bad? That report said it would make sure all year 12 students will reach a standard literacy and numeracy skills before leaving school - why don't they now???
    Don't we have a national curriculum that teaches the basics ? Why are 1st class kids behind? Is it that we need more teachers or do other countries have a better way of learning - or should we as parents be doing more at home? Im all for more school funding but want to make sure it's going to make a difference - it seems like neither government has a proper plan?
    This is my opinion as both a teacher and mother. I chose not to go back full time after having kids as I tend to 'give it my all' and I knew my own children would suffer for it - Over years of teaching I would see groups of students with such varied abilities and talents. Some year groups would show better results and progress than other years. I don't think that it would be correct to tie teacher pay to student performance. Funding should be based on individual student needs where extra funds are needed, but otherwise all schools should be suitably funded so that even the schools where students are performing okay, they aren't disadvantaged by achieving good grades.

At the moment, in general, graduates are being employed over experienced teachers due to differences in pay. Of course, there will always be great graduates that should be employed anyway.

In general, attitudes towards education in Australia are quite low. In general, respect for teachers is quite low. It would be interesting to compare attitudes and behaviours of Australian families compared to families in countries that are performing better.

The curriculum is very crowded and time is always so precious. I have also found that expectations of students has dropped which is a shame. Even some of the HSC courses have been "dumbed down" resulting in students then having more to learn at university.

Students need to take on the responsibility for their own learning. Of course the teachers must do their job - it frustrates me when I see or hear of a teacher being lazy. The Institute is great for an increase of supervision, PD and reflective practice, but it is a shame that it also comes with a lot of paperwork that will take up time.

Parents are also quite stretched now as both parents are often working now to make ends meet.

Sometimes the push to integrate technology is using up valuable learning time as instead of it being a tool for learning, it is the main object of the lesson. There needs to be a balance of learning vs technology and whether it is necessary. Of course, 21st century and lifelong learning skills are important, but must be integrated into purposeful learning experiences. It must enhance learning, not hinder it.

I am also one for homework - in terms of things like homereading (but gosh, sometimes we substitute the books as some of them need to be thrown out!), times tables and spelling/sight words. Doing the basics when they are young sets up good habits for when they are older and need to be more disciplined.

It would be lovely if we were all computers and could just easily and effortlessly plug ourselves in and download everything we need to know to succeed in life, but unfortunately/fortunately we were all made differently, have different talents, with some of our processors, memory and bits working a little differently, at different rates and capabilities.

Please don't quote as I may delete later for privacy.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 01-05-2016 at 22:47.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (01-05-2016),harvs  (01-05-2016),witherwings  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but I think the reason the level of education in Scandinavian and Western Europe countries (such as France) is so much superior to us is due to the inquiry based learning method which (as I understand) is only now being implemented in main ****** education here, and also they have a lot more government funding available because their tax rates are ridiculously high. In counties like France, they are happy to pay 50% tax if it means completely free health care, free child care, free education, social services, paid parental leave, etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but I think the reason the level of education in Scandinavian and Western Europe countries (such as France) is so much superior to us is due to the inquiry based learning method which (as I understand) is only now being implemented in main ****** education here, and also they have a lot more government funding available because their tax rates are ridiculously high. In counties like France, they are happy to pay 50% tax if it means completely free health care, free child care, free education, social services, paid parental leave, etc.
    I'd be happy to pay 50% tax if it meant free kick **** eduction, health services, childcare, etc

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-05-2016),Ngaiz  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    There are lots of reasons the Scandinavian countries are kicking our butts in education. They dislike standardised testing like NAPLAN, they start kids later, they actually value and pay teachers properly. They don't have longer school days they have short ones. This popped up in a teacher group I'm in only in the last few days

https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveE...4129436833908/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    There are lots of reasons the Scandinavian countries are kicking our butts in education. They dislike standardised testing like NAPLAN, they start kids later, they actually value and pay teachers properly. They don't have longer school days they have short ones. This popped up in a teacher group I'm in only in the last few days

https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveE...4129436833908/
    Plus private schools are virtually non existent in these countries as they are committed to an egalitarian education system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Plus private schools are virtually non existent in these countries as they are committed to an egalitarian education system.
    Yep my understanding was there aren't any private schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep my understanding was there aren't any private schools.
    Yep our nanny is a teacher from Sweden and she said she the private schools my kids attend look exactly like Scandinavian public schools. In every way (facilities, class sizes, class rooms). It actually depresses her a bit and she'd love to move her kids to Sweden but she loves the life here.