+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I can't comment on dental health care because I've only ever used my private dentist and gotten some rebate from my health fund, but with regard to 4yr olds having their teeth pulled, this is insane! I don't think the reason is long waiting lists in the public system. 4 year olds should not have rotting teeth or gum problems. If their diets are low in sugar and they brush their teeth twice a day and floss, they should have healthy teeth.
    Floss a 4 year olds teeth!? 😮🤔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I thought the same thing. I get dd1 to floss so that she gets used to it and it becomes habit, but the dentist told us it was unnecessary for baby teeth at her last checkup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

My son flosses, he's been doing it for over a year and he's 4.5.. He uses one of those flossing sticks. He loves getting the "bugs" out.

ETA - he doesn't floss every day, but if he has eaten something that leaves bits in his teeth such as lamb cutlets, he wants to get it out. Brushing teeth is not enough. And if those bits of food get stuck and stay there, it can create gum problems, baby teeth or not.
    Last edited by witherwings; 01-05-2016 at 09:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think either of my kids have ever had food stuck in between their teeth. They have the typical wide gaps between baby teeth and, as the dentist explained, brushing properly should be sufficient in getting in there. I suppose it depends on the individual's teeth?
    Anyway, as I said, I get dd1 to play around with floss just to get used to it. It's so surprising how many adults don't floss 😦

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I thought the same thing. I get dd1 to floss so that she gets used to it and it becomes habit, but the dentist told us it was unnecessary for baby teeth at her last checkup.
    Our paediatric dentist recommends flossing for all kids over 4. It's more for gum health then teeth.

All mine do it. Even the 2 year old.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-05-2016),witherwings  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Our paediatric dentist recommends flossing for all kids over 4. It's more for gum health then teeth.

All mine do it. Even the 2 year old.
    What!? How!? I can barely get brushes in my kids mouths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

What!? How!? I can barely get brushes in my kids mouths!
    After spending close to $4k over the last few years on my eldest's teeth this just isn't an option. All kids brush for 2 minutes twice a day and floss every second day.

My youngest 2 follow the lead of my older 2. My eldest were horrendous as toddlers but are great now. So the younger 2 know no different.
    Last edited by Sonja; 01-05-2016 at 10:45.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Today show just posted this on their fb page, with a video attached that made it sound like the funding is reward based, instead of being directed at those that need it most... talk about widening the gap 😡

The Federal Government is set to invest an extra $1.2 billion into the nation's schools between 2018 and 2020, but there's a catch. In order to qualify for the cash, children as young as five will be skills tested on entry to school, and Year 12 students forced to study either maths or science. Fair enough? #9Today
    Nooo :0 Funding should be based on disadvantage of the individual students, not on performance. This is a terrible terrible plan! The first article you posted also said teacher pay would be linked to student performance. Because we all know students who perform well & are bright and clever are the 'difficult' ones to teach :0 What a way to degrade the profession. I wonder if performance based pay would be forced to follow on through to the private system? Just disgusting proposals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The Today show just posted this on their fb page, with a video attached that made it sound like the funding is reward based, instead of being directed at those that need it most... talk about widening the gap 😡

The Federal Government is set to invest an extra $1.2 billion into the nation's schools between 2018 and 2020, but there's a catch. In order to qualify for the cash, children as young as five will be skills tested on entry to school, and Year 12 students forced to study either maths or science. Fair enough? #9Today
    This is one of the worst ideas I've ever read about.

What gets me is how Australian schools and universities consistently perform to a lower level when compared to schools overseas who don't expect 5 years or even 8 year olds to be able to read. So rather than look at what the overseas schools are doing right we continue to punish students and teachers who don't fit the Australian model that isn't really working anyway.

What a dumb dumb dumb idea.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-05-2016),binnielici  (01-05-2016),Ngaiz  (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    After spending close to $4k over the last few years on my eldest's teeth this just isn't an option. All kids brush for 2 minutes twice a day and floss every second day.

My youngest 2 follow the lead of my older 2. My eldest were horrendous as toddlers but are great now. So the younger 2 know no different.
    Wow that's amazing. Go you. I can see why you don't want to get stung again. Seriously impressed.