+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If you receive ftb then your children are entitled to free dental at any dentist up to $1000 a year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    What's a benefit dentist? I've never heard that phrase before?
    I think she means people on benefits?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-04-2016),LoveLivesHere  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    What's a benefit dentist? I've never heard that phrase before?
    I think @DT75 meant a dentist for recipients of government benefits.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-04-2016),LoveLivesHere  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If you receive ftb then your children are entitled to free dental at any dentist up to $1000 a year.
    Thank God public dental can cover more than that if you go through them.
    Dd2 just got a few grands worth of work done. If you added up the last 4 years worth of work it would be way over 10k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Dd2 just got a few grands worth of work done. If you added up the last 4 years worth of work it would be way over 10k.
    What did she have to get done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    @BigRedV
    Today braces
    In the past 4 years. Around 15 sets of double plates trying to avoid what we have just started today.
    She will have braces til the Christmas holidays when she will have her top jaw cut to remove part of it from the rest of the skull and her palate spilt. She will have a metal plate installed so we can turn the key a few times a day for a week or two until we get the right distance to widen her upper jaw. Than 12 months more of braces and than a second surgery. This surgery they will remove totally the top and bottom jaws. The add bits in on each side of the lower jaw and rotate both jaws to a different angle and reattach them. Than a few more months of braces.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 29-04-2016 at 06:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @BigRedV
    Today braces
    In the past 4 years. 15 sets of double plates trying to avoid what we have just started today.
    She will have braces til the Christmas holidays when she will have her top jaw cut to remove part of it from the rest of the skull and her palate spilt. She will have a metal plate installed so we can turn the key a few time a day to widen her upper jaw. Than 12 months more of braces and than a second surgery. This surgery they will remove totally the top and bottom jaws. The add bits in on each side of the lower jaw and rotate both jaws to a different angle and reattach them. Than a few more months of braces.
    Wow that's a lot. Poor girl.

Can I ask if it's not rude what the waiting time has been like for this treatment? I often wonder with public dentist whether problems become worse and therefore solutions more expensive because work that should be done when kids are younger can take years due to waiting.

My eldest is only 10 so we're not there yet in terms of major dental work (although she had $4k done in December last year) but it seems that so much of it can be age specific as its more beneficial to do it at certain ages.

Sorry if I'm rambling. Been up since 2am with a sick toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What did she have to get done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Wow that's a lot. Poor girl.

Can I ask if it's not rude what the waiting time has been like for this treatment? I often wonder with public dentist whether problems become worse and therefore solutions more expensive because work that should be done when kids are younger can take years due to waiting.

My eldest is only 10 so we're not there yet in terms of major dental work (although she had $4k done in December last year) but it seems that so much of it can be age specific as its more beneficial to do it at certain ages.

Sorry if I'm rambling. Been up since 2am with a sick toddler.
    In our case we knew early on she would need some work (we thought plates). We put her on the wait list at 7 knowing they could do anything til she was around 11. She had to met certain development criteria for it to be affective. Sadly the plates just didn't work for her. She did have a break of about 10 months for her to to reach the right development for the surgery track to start. They can't do it till they have stop growing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In WA all school children are eligible to go to the govt funded school dentist (I'm not sure about private schools ) from Pre - Primary to age 17. They generally get seen once a year for a check - up then booked in if filling etc are needed. You can also call them in an emergency - ie my DD broke about 1/3 of her adult front tooth off in an accident in the school holidays - we called the school dentist centre and they saw her the next day, put a cap on the tooth and monitored her several times over the next 6mths to check the root hadn't been damaged.
    The service is fairly basic, but they do a good job. I also take my kids to see a private dentist once a year as well...A year is too long between visits for kids I think...