+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is the dummy my enemy?!

Yes another gingermillie sleeping thread 😜
    So DD is 10 months now and in that time she's slept through the night once. We've had up and down sleeping issues. For ages though she would sleep 8-10 hours straight then feed and back to sleep. The past 1-2 months she's waking up after about 5hrs we resettle her then bang on 2hrs later she wakes (generally feed her as by then it's 9-10hrs since last feed. She then sleeps another 3hrs or so. The timing of her wake ups mean the maximum sleep block I'm getting is 3-4hrs. I'm tired.
    She's exclusively breastfed 3-4 feeds during the day and 1 overnight.
    She is not great with solids but just found out she's severely anaemic so hoping treatment will improve appetite.
    She doesn't feed to sleep, not rocked to sleep, won't cosleep. Luckily she goes straight to sleep for all maps and bedtime. We just pop her in her sleeping bag, white noise on put her in cot and she will maybe chat for a bit or just drift straight off.
    The only thing she has is a dummy. She's only had it since 6 months. She has a couple in the for and can reach around to find it and put it in her mouth. But I'm wondering if this is affecting her sleep? Do dummies stuff up sleep at this age?
    She has two little bamboo face washers which she uses as a comforter and holds them and rubs them on her face. She's had these since about 5 months.
    Her room is generally around 20 degrees and she sleeps in 2.5 or 3.5 tog sleeping bag with a wondersuit on. I tuck her in under a blanket but she generally crawls out from under that. She is desperately practicing crawling at the moment too so often when she wakes she's up in her knees in the cot.
    This is her day routine don't think this is affecting her night sleep:
    7:30 wake breastfeed
    8:30 breakfast
    10:00 nap for 1.5hrs
    12 lunch
    2 breastfeed
    2:30 nap for 1.5hrs
    5 dinner
    6 shower
    6:30 breastfeed
    7:30 bed
    So any ideas? The wake up after 5-6hrs has clearly become a habit. I'd just love a big block of sleep 😴 is it dummy or lack of food or just her way??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What's her weight like?

I would be extremely reluctant to reduce/eliminate night feeds if bub is under 9-10kg and under 12mths old. In my opinion - it's necessary for them to nurse.

Also. Babies sleep the best for the first 5hrs then lightly afterwards. What your bub is doing is definitely normal from a biological and anthropological perspective. All my three have fed 1-3X at 10mths so I find your baby to be fabulous. And mine don't have dummies or comforters.

You will get a variety of responses from various hubbers. Do what suits you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't give much advice about sleeping as I can't get it sorted for my monster and have literally no idea what the problems are or how to solve them but I do also use a dummy and I discovered something called sleepy tot when I sleep trained ds1. It's a soft toy bunny with 4 Velcro paws so you can attach a dummy to each corner. It makes it easier for them to grab the bunny then find a dummy themselves. Ds2 didn't really get the hang of it but has another soft toy comforter so I attached some short ribbons by poppers to the sides so I can attach dummies. He doesn't seem to make much effort at night but during day when we go out u always take it and he often will have one of the dummies in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine has had a dummy from the beginning- was in hosp for two weeks and they apparently auto give it to them.
    She loves her dummy and I am unwilling to take that comfort from her. She is no longer bf so doesn't get that comfort.

I am going to try and get rid of it around 6 months, as she will be on/starting solids and it seems like a good time. But really I wouldn't be hugely concerned unless she was 3 and needing it ALL the time.Or starting school...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg. If I had a 5hr sleep block from DS at that age I would be super super excited.

I would not necessarily say it is habit waking up then. Does she cry when she wakes up? If you feed after that initial wake up will she sleep longer or will it not make a difference?

Honestly, I would be going to bed when she does in order to get more sleep for now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    What's her weight like?

I would be extremely reluctant to reduce/eliminate night feeds if bub is under 9-10kg and under 12mths old. In my opinion - it's necessary for them to nurse.

Also. Babies sleep the best for the first 5hrs then lightly afterwards. What your bub is doing is definitely normal from a biological and anthropological perspective. All my three have fed 1-3X at 10mths so I find your baby to be fabulous. And mine don't have dummies or comforters.

You will get a variety of responses from various hubbers. Do what suits you.
    She's 8.3kg and 73cm long so she's tall skinny (90th centile for height 50th for weight).
    I don't mind the overnight feed it's usually 3-4am. The earlier wake up is not because she wants to feed as I've found the past couple of months if I do try feed her before 3am she doesn't really feed much at all and then her sleep is much worse after so it's better just to resettle her at the first wake up. And the resettle is pretty much just laying her back down giving her a dummy and a kiss and she's fine (no crying we don't let her cry).
    Just seems like that 1am wake up has become a recent habit and I wonder if we can break it. I'd love her to go back to sleeping straight through til the 3am feed. One night a couple of months ago, yes one night, she slept 7:30-7:30 without a peep. No idea what we did differently that day. Cheeky thing opened my eyes to restful nights again 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OK. That's awesome for her.

This might sound harsh but you've got a sweet thing going on.

I

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-04-2016),gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Omg. If I had a 5hr sleep block from DS at that age I would be super super excited.

I would not necessarily say it is habit waking up then. Does she cry when she wakes up? If you feed after that initial wake up will she sleep longer or will it not make a difference?

Honestly, I would be going to bed when she does in order to get more sleep for now.
    Lol I thought someone would say go to bed when she does. I'm just being selfish I don't want to go to bed at 7:30. Can I stamp my feet on the app too 😂
    I know in the context of sleep problems, and we've had some doozies, it's not that bad.
    If I feed at the first wake up she doesn't really feed as she's not hungry and then sleeps worse after that. Have worked out feeding her before 3am is no good as she's not hungry enough so it just disturbs her and wakes her up more she's like oh mummy cuddles yay hi mummy smile lets play lol. When she wakes she's calling out grizzly up on her knees every time. She just started crawling about 2-3 weeks ago and now trying to stand up so I think she's got a lot going on in her head too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It could just be your Bub especially because as you said she can reach all of her dummies at night but is still waking.

But scheduling always comes to mind with me when there are sleep issues. Is she always awake by 4:00pm? This may be a cause of the wakings potentially too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Lol I thought someone would say go to bed when she does. I'm just being selfish I don't want to go to bed at 7:30. Can I stamp my feet on the app too 😂
    I know in the context of sleep problems, and we've had some doozies, it's not that bad.
    If I feed at the first wake up she doesn't really feed as she's not hungry and then sleeps worse after that. Have worked out feeding her before 3am is no good as she's not hungry enough so it just disturbs her and wakes her up more she's like oh mummy cuddles yay hi mummy smile lets play lol. When she wakes she's calling out grizzly up on her knees every time. She just started crawling about 2-3 weeks ago and now trying to stand up so I think she's got a lot going on in her head too.
    I know what you mean with the sleep thing. You want YOU time (I am the same lol). I resorted to having to sleep when DS went to bed.

Hmmm.. crawling/walking time is fun for sleep... not!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post: