+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anaemia in 10 month old

Hi all just wondering if anyone else has had experience with an anaemic baby?
    My DD is 10 months (9 months corrected as she was born a month early). We saw her Paediatrician and he commented she was looking pale (she has olive skin) and wanted to get her iron checked. He contacted me yesterday to say she is severely anaemic. Her circulating iron level was 4 (should be 10-30) and her iron stores were basically zero (need to be 20-200). Paed has put her on iron 5ml daily for 6 months. She's not really interested in food and paed said that getting her iron up should improve her appetite which I'm hoping will then help her sleep too.
    Feeling sad for my little darling, she's not had an easy run. Anyone else deal with severe anaemia? Did iron help them eat?
    Thanks lovelies 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yo was anaemic about 6 months ago.

He wouldn't eat because he was so tired basically. Went from eating ALL FRIGGEN DAY to eating breakfast then nothing after that. He would just lay around and fall asleep. I was pretty worried about him.

The iron helped after about a week and he was back to his normal self

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    My 3yo was anaemic about 6 months ago.

He wouldn't eat because he was so tired basically. Went from eating ALL FRIGGEN DAY to eating breakfast then nothing after that. He would just lay around and fall asleep. I was pretty worried about him.

The iron helped after about a week and he was back to his normal self
    Thanks 😀 her eating is definitely getting worse she's eating less and less (and wasn't eating much to start with). She's not sleepy or tired though. Hoping the iron helps her appetite soon.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do they test for this is it a blood test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    How do they test for this is it a blood test?
    Hi yes she had a blood test which was done via finger prick. I was stressed about it but she didn't even flinch. Took 5-10 minutes for them to squeeze enough drops of blood out and DD was fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make sure she is getting enough vitamin c to absorb iron. Also reduce dairy or give separately as calcium blocks iron absorption.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi yes she had a blood test which was done via finger prick. I was stressed about it but she didn't even flinch. Took 5-10 minutes for them to squeeze enough drops of blood out and DD was fine.
    Thanks for the reply, my DS has poor weight gains so will be discussing this with the GP next visit. He is also very pale...
    Good to hear it wasn't like an adult blood test phew!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Make sure she is getting enough vitamin c to absorb iron. Also reduce dairy or give separately as calcium blocks iron absorption.
    She is really struggling with eating so I think the vit c might be an issue. Don't want to give her juice though so I'm a bit stumped. Unfortunately yoghurt is one of the few things she eats 😁 I can't stop that but I'll give her the iron couple of hours before/after dairy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    She is really struggling with eating so I think the vit c might be an issue. Don't want to give her juice though so I'm a bit stumped. Unfortunately yoghurt is one of the few things she eats 😁 I can't stop that but I'll give her the iron couple of hours before/after dairy.
    Just combine vit c with the iron. So mandarins with her iron drops. Or capsicum, orange etc. Most fruit/veg have iron.

With calcium - sounds great if you can separate yoghurt from mealtimes. Caffeine also blocks iron absorption but I doubt your baby is slinging back espressos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Just combine vit c with the iron. So mandarins with her iron drops. Or capsicum, orange etc. Most fruit/veg have iron.

With calcium - sounds great if you can separate yoghurt from mealtimes. Caffeine also blocks iron absorption but I doubt your baby is slinging back espressos.
    Lol I love your optimism but she barely eats and is ridiculously fussy. I am struggling to get her to eat solids at all so the chance of her eating enough of something with enough vit c is slim. She's currently only reliably eating yoghurt, custard, rice cakes, omelette, grated cheese, and pear. Then some days she'll eat quiche, veggie patties, pikelets, sandwich, toast, veggie sticks, baked beans. I offer everything I eat as finger food, the only thing she has pureed is pear, and have offered every veg in every form and meat too. Shakes her head at me and clamps her mouth shut. It's a big challenge.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890  (27-04-2016)