+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahalfdozen - I think you may be onto something... I think you may be right... Even if we fail, at least we tried. Then again, what about putting food on the table, I suppose. But we won't have small children forever, that is true. One day they'll be older, but we will still need to be fulfilled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ha ha Ahalfdozen I'm your mother 😄.

Are you sure a career will make you happy though? That it will turn you back into a fun sparkly mum? I am fun sparky mum on annual leave. I am tired grumpy mum when I'm working.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the putting the food on the table, you can take the boring job that doesn't fulfil you, but keep in your head that's it's only temporary, and while you slug it out in the less than ideal situation, do things (such as study and anything else relevant) to make sure it is only temporary. Knowing that it's a means to an end will do wonders for your state of mind. You might find that even just studying what you are interested in, is enough to get you out of the slump that the boring old mummy job puts you in.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2016),Wise Enough  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worked a treat the first time wiseenough. You don't seem to understand - it's not just something I would go to work as. I live and breathe these things. I play these games with my children, digging stuff up, looking at rocks, reading books. It's the core of my being... It's hard to explain. It's really about re finding me again.

ahalfdozen - I am going to have to agree with you. Even thinking about it raises my mood and gives me strength.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a single mum with two toddlers and no help from anyone else so I know how tricky it can be to find the space to progress. My thoughts are that it is slow and steady. I have a career i can go back to but even with that i need some retraining etc and it's so hard to do when i have full responsibility for the children and no family to help. I also don't want to return full time to my career, i want to do something new as well, so it will take some planning. My beginning point has been to put my children in child care for one day a week. I'm working REALLY hard to make that one day count! Is my only 8 hours of the week that i don't have the twins so i want it to have a longer term focus. Even if half the day has to be basic appointments, shopping etc, i always allocate at least half to online training, accessing information, updating some basic skills like first aid certificates etc. I am choosing to be a SAHM at the moment but see myself working part time when my twins are in kindy and near fulltime when they are in school. So i have a couple of years to work up to being ready to go. If i use this one day a week from now then that really adds up to time well spent! And i can see already that life dots free up. For example my children can now happily do an activity for an hour while i get something done, so i can tick off little bits of study here and there etc. As they get older this will be more and more possible. It's a reeeeeaaaallly tough road when you don't have anyone at all to mind the kids for even an hour, but slow and steady wins the race if you just take the first step. I don't want to look back in a couple of years and wish I'd used my time differently. Family is my focus but I'm slowly making the changes to lead into the next phase. With 3 children. ..are any in school yet? Does this free up your days at all?
    Last edited by NAT2561; 27-04-2016 at 22:31.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (29-04-2016),Wise Enough  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    As someone married to a dr with lots of dr friends, whilst there's money in some areas there's also 10+ yrs of ur life being treated badly terrible hours and very average pay which is only good money in total Coz ur doing 70+ hrs a week.....yes once a gp there's better flexible hrs but b4 that not really.....
    As someone who understands exactly where the OP is coming from, my post was to offer an example of a plan and examples of what sacrifices often need to be made.

I am very well aware of what's in store should I choose to follow that path. This isn't a decision I came to overnight. As an adult with work and life experience I feel I am better equipped to deal with the bull ****.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    This! First, you need to make a decision on what it is you want to do. Then you need to make your plan. If you're not working, have access to ccb/ccr and are already able to manage in your current financial situation then you are in a much better position than most. You can study part time if you dedicate 2-3 full days to study while your little ones are at cc. You will have to make sacrifices to make it work. You have a degree already so you're obviously smart.

When I was pregnant with Dd I realised I wanted better than just a job and knew study was the only option. I have a keen interest in health (Maori health in particular). I decided that I was going to do a Bachelor of Health Science with a double major in Maori health and Public health. Since researching career pathways and options, I have realised that Medicine is a very realistic option. This was the 10 year plan I wrote down in 2013.

2014-Mat leave
    2015-Work part time/do yr11&12 again
    2016-Have another baby (due in 5 weeks), finish yr11&12, sit STAT.
    2017-move back to NZ and go to uni. Do first year Health Science at Auckland Uni. Apply for second year Med if I have the grades.
    2018-19-complete BHSc or 2018-2022-study medicine.

This involves selling our house, going from a combined income of $130k to supporting a family on a student allowance of $350/wk, savings and money made from the house sale. Dh would become a SAHP until we are ready to put our youngest in cc. In NZ we will have access to cc for as little as $10/wk once Ds turns 2. Then Dh wants to go study as well or return to work.

Giving up everything we have here in Australia is terrifying but this is something I really want so I can have job satisfaction and be able to provide a better future for my children. Whether I do public health or medicine I will be able to earn a very good income allowing me to work part time and have a work/family balance.
    What Inspiration!! Go you! 😊👊🏼

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWolf View Post
    I did a six month cert III in Admin which is enough to get in the door on starting wage. This was after being SAHM of three kids over 7 years-

There are always jobs and a lot are good hours for working parents (single mum myself by choice) It's not fun but it pays the bills and gives you work life balance- and if you do well you can usually branch into other things through a company or transferable skills.

It's not a dream job but it's a start of you want your foot in the door and need a wage to support your little ones.
    Sorry off topic but I find this encouraging. From an earlier thread and other snippets I pick up I've been really fearful that I will be knocked back for every job as it will be around 10 years out by then. Admin is my back up but I know I'd need skills refreshing. I've had some really interesting and involved jobs in admin - it depends on the company and the role. It's good to know that with a bit of retraining that door might not be tightly shut.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

KiWolf  (28-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about teaching geography at high school? Personally I couldn't handle high school kids but I know there are online courses in teaching that have csp's and you can do a masters in teaching with any degree - 2 years full time or PT equiv. having kids has made me more interested in education / teaching - though in reality I don't know how much influence / independence if any teachers have but it wouldn't be boring!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Do you think I could get into doing admin without the certificate? They are expensive and not very exciting material, so if I can get work without it, I would prefer that...
    If you have transferable skills you could try applying around in entry level positions- most places in my experience like to see at least some sort of proof you can do the work though, and remember you'll be up against anyone else applying that may have Certs or experience or both- so it definitely gives an advantage.

The course is tedious sure, but it's quick and it does teach you how to do a lot of what you'll be asked to do in the job.

In saying that- you never know if you can get your foot in the door then you can just go from there gaining experience.

I'm in the process of applying for work myself- hoping to have a good experience soon and gain some sort of career out of it- but for me it's all about supporting my family and keeping us above water- the pension just really doesn't keep us afloat.