+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this thread?

Look for and accept any kind of work while studying at TAFE or uni to give yourself more qualifications and options.

Issues with childcare are tricky. I'm a single parent with minimal support myself so I do understand that. But there are nannies and babysitters who can be called on if necessary.

Also, I think it's important to remember that the choice isn't just dead end menial work or your absolute life's passion. I'm sure there are options in between those extremes. There are advantages with having a job that you can leave mentally as you walk out the door as well.

My plan is always just to say yes to opportunities. That's it.
    Which part are you confused by?

The option I'm going for is the one I left intact - find any job for now and start study.

I don't even know how to approach that one even though?

I know there are many in betweens - but we only live once, and I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry but I tend to be a realist. Realistically 99% of people don't have a dream job they jump out of bed for. Most people aren't doing the job they picture when they started studying. I work in a petrochemical lab full of people with forensics degrees 😄.

If you want a plan make a plan. At the moment I don't care what I do as long as it suits my family needs by paying the bills and giving me time with the kids. I'm a solo mother by choice with a 4yo and 2yo. I guess I have a "career", it's a job I don't mind and it pays well. I consider myself very lucky. But do I have a burning desire to test fuel? No. Was it my lifelong dream? No. Am I happy? Yes.

In my opinion this isn't about a career it's about finding happiness, and I'm not sure a career can do that.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (27-04-2016),Bongley  (28-04-2016),gingermillie  (27-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2016),MissMuppet  (28-04-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Which part are you confused by?

The option I'm going for is the one I left intact - find any job for now and start study.

I don't even know how to approach that one even though?

I know there are many in betweens - but we only live once, and I'm not getting any younger.
    I guess I'm confused because you didn't seem to be satisfied by what other posters were suggesting, so I thought maybe I missed the point of your OP. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tbh that sounds like a great plan! I love how I am not the only dreamer here on this board.... I do feel guilty about feeling the way I do, being this driven and passionate about career, when other mothers are more selfless and devote their time to sahmhood.

I wish you luck! I think a plan like that with timelines is what I am going to need...

Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    This! First, you need to make a decision on what it is you want to do. Then you need to make your plan. If you're not working, have access to ccb/ccr and are already able to manage in your current financial situation then you are in a much better position than most. You can study part time if you dedicate 2-3 full days to study while your little ones are at cc. You will have to make sacrifices to make it work. You have a degree already so you're obviously smart.

When I was pregnant with Dd I realised I wanted better than just a job and knew study was the only option. I have a keen interest in health (Maori health in particular). I decided that I was going to do a Bachelor of Health Science with a double major in Maori health and Public health. Since researching career pathways and options, I have realised that Medicine is a very realistic option. This was the 10 year plan I wrote down in 2013.

2014-Mat leave
    2015-Work part time/do yr11&12 again
    2016-Have another baby (due in 5 weeks), finish yr11&12, sit STAT.
    2017-move back to NZ and go to uni. Do first year Health Science at Auckland Uni. Apply for second year Med if I have the grades.
    2018-19-complete BHSc or 2018-2022-study medicine.

This involves selling our house, going from a combined income of $130k to supporting a family on a student allowance of $350/wk, savings and money made from the house sale. Dh would become a SAHP until we are ready to put our youngest in cc. In NZ we will have access to cc for as little as $10/wk once Ds turns 2. Then Dh wants to go study as well or return to work.

Giving up everything we have here in Australia is terrifying but this is something I really want so I can have job satisfaction and be able to provide a better future for my children. Whether I do public health or medicine I will be able to earn a very good income allowing me to work part time and have a work/family balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Stuck

I did a six month cert III in Admin which is enough to get in the door on starting wage. This was after being SAHM of three kids over 7 years-

There are always jobs and a lot are good hours for working parents (single mum myself by choice) It's not fun but it pays the bills and gives you work life balance- and if you do well you can usually branch into other things through a company or transferable skills.

It's not a dream job but it's a start of you want your foot in the door and need a wage to support your little ones.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiWolf For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (28-04-2016),Wise Enough  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not going into this for pay...I'm going into this for passion, and to be.........I don't know how to put it. Me. Because right now I feel a bit flat and like a worn out cloth rag.

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with forks than do book keeping to be honest. That sounds highly unpleasant to me.

Dental assistant could work, but again, I'm not doing this for money, and I guess a dental assistant job won't really take me where I want to go in the future. Thank you for your input though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    As someone married to a dr with lots of dr friends, whilst there's money in some areas there's also 10+ yrs of ur life being treated badly terrible hours and very average pay which is only good money in total Coz ur doing 70+ hrs a week.....yes once a gp there's better flexible hrs but b4 that not really.....
    Has anyone considered book keeping? It's a shortish course and can do casual small business stuff....
    Dental assistants earn reasonable money with low start up requirements.... Dental technicians 2y TAFE course fairly good money....( they make crowns bridges etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    OP I was just thinking, just in the meantime could you use your journalism degree and offer yourself out for editing at local businesses? It's something you could do from home with minimal effort, and it seems that the world needs more editors :-)
    I could....my big problem is that after such a long period of sahmhood I've:
    a) forgotten everything;
    b) feel so worthless and disgusted in myself that I don't feel like I am worth anything. Certainly not worthing paying. These are my own fleas that I'm definitely going to need to work on, by going to work.

It's a good thought.

In regards to why I was dissatisfied - I guess it was because in the other thread there was a lot of empathy for the mothers that felt that they weren't get very high up now that they are mothers even though they want to be put in the effort; and I'm exactly the same, I'm not wanting to just sit there, I'm just worried that it's never going to happen for me. If that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Testing fuel sounds pretty exciting to me haha (no, serious).

I know what you are saying - paying the bills is enough. But I think my kids deserve to see the mum that I used to be. The full of life and hope one. Maybe that was just youth speaking, but I miss those days I was full of zest. And I know it's possible; I want to go back to that feeling every day. It's late and I'm rambling, please let me know if you don't get the gist of what I'm saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think I could get into doing admin without the certificate? They are expensive and not very exciting material, so if I can get work without it, I would prefer that...
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWolf View Post
    I did a six month cert III in Admin which is enough to get in the door on starting wage. This was after being SAHM of three kids over 7 years-

There are always jobs and a lot are good hours for working parents (single mum myself by choice) It's not fun but it pays the bills and gives you work life balance- and if you do well you can usually branch into other things through a company or transferable skills.

It's not a dream job but it's a start of you want your foot in the door and need a wage to support your little ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have only skimmed replies...

I'm not a single parent, but I do have a shift working husband who is rarely, if ever, able to watch the kids for me while I do anything. My 4 kids are all 6 and under so still quite reliant on me and I live in a remote area so my options are limited. My in-laws are 10 hours away and I'm estranged from my family so no support there. I also suffer in educational settings (attention span and few other problems) so I have put off doing anything. I am currently trying to work out how to get my foot in the door with paramedical science which is a dream for me.
    The way I look at it is, even if I never get anywhere with it, and end up just having half a course under my belt and work sweeping at a fruit shop, at least I did something, I tried. IF I get beyond my education and actually get to work in the field, then I'm there. Even at the lowest rung, I am there. Working my way up can be dealt with later.
    My mother told me once "everyone hates their job. You're not special, why do you get to be any different" and that stuck with me for the longest time. But now I think, why not me?? I may not get my dream job but I would be happy with anything along the way. So for now, I am going to continue as a little housewife and pick up as many distance education courses as I can that I think will help, and I am also submitting my application to be a volunteer ambulance officer (my town is small, that's all we have here. No actual paramedics) and I will figure the rest out later. Baby steps. They kids aren't going to be little forever. There will come a time when they don't need you as much, and you don't need to take on the "mummy jobs" that offer flexibility and good balance. So for now, kick around in those jobs, study, and work towards what you will be doing in 10 years from now.
    That's how I see it anyways. I could be way off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (04-05-2016)