+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem with everything flexible is also that it is mind numbingly boring....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    See, now, that's a plan.... How I'm even going to get my foot in the door is beyond me.

I disagree though. If I don't go in with a plan, it's a bit silly. Just doing a degree for the sake of a degree is really just getting a big fat debt next to your name.
    I recommend knowing what you want for uni, but as far as job...just apply for whatever. Even if you can't take the job, get interview practice, get used to promoting yourself so you're prepared when it does count. And if you get knocked back a lot, don't let it demoralise you...because it's all just part of the plan anyway.
    However...as for uni, what about enrolling in a foundation studies course? You only pay for text books, you can pick subjects that you think sound interesting, it gets you back in to the habit of study and you go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should probably mention, I already have a degree in journalism from my early 20s. I did that advice - just studied whatever - and it backfired on me big time. Some of my peers did pretty well for themselves - although none stayed in journalism - some didn't, I'm one of the ones that is an abysmal failure - although I did have 3 beautiful children, and am now fighting to give them the best life possible, including financially. So I'm not saying I see myself as an abysmal failure, but I did literally just bury my career, just like that.

So now, the long climb up. Yay. I don't know where to start now.

So I disagree with you. I already know what I'm interested in, and study isn't a problem for me. It's the hours .

What I want is a plan....

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I recommend knowing what you want for uni, but as far as job...just apply for whatever. Even if you can't take the job, get interview practice, get used to promoting yourself so you're prepared when it does count. And if you get knocked back a lot, don't let it demoralise you...because it's all just part of the plan anyway.
    However...as for uni, what about enrolling in a foundation studies course? You only pay for text books, you can pick subjects that you think sound interesting, it gets you back in to the habit of study and you go from there.
    Last edited by Brain; 27-04-2016 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP you need to start somewhere. Find an online degree or a tafe course and start at the bottom. Even if that means admin work to start with. I started doing admin work to get my foot in the door, I was basically working to pay for childcare but at least I was getting experience. It's not easy it's very hard but if you want something you will find a way to make it work. I started with a certificate 4 and working for min wage. I'm now doing a degree online while working fulltime and I earn a decent wage. It's exhausing and I have very little free time. I wake up at 5am but that's life, I look at the bigger picture. Putting kids in after school care or day care if that's what you need to do. The world is waiting for you to show up. I'm sorry if that blunt but it takes sacrific. I was single for a while as well and I know how hard it is. The way I looked at it was I have nothing now so if I fail I have lost nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stuck

My godmother had three kids, was single and no family.. She was always struggling financially. She studied part time to become a midwife in the 80's and made it. Where there is a will there's a way. You just have to want it bad enough.

Try calling Careers Australia. They maybe able to help. Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Full House  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only you can work out a plan. It will take sacrifices, hard work, and you'll need to jump hurdles that might sometimes feel impossible to jump...but a career isn't going to fall in your lap. You have to fight for it.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this thread? I can identify with feeling the need to make a plan, but some things such as employment are unpredictable at best. The way I see it you have these options:

Look for any kind of work that fits in with the needs of you and your family, and indulge your passions and interests through reading, travelling, learning etc.

Look for and accept any kind of work while studying at TAFE or uni to give yourself more qualifications and options.

Study in your interest area with the knowledge that it might not end up on the career path you intended but giving yourself the best possible chance to.

Issues with childcare are tricky. I'm a single parent with minimal support myself so I do understand that. But there are nannies and babysitters who can be called on if necessary.

Also, I think it's important to remember that the choice isn't just dead end menial work or your absolute life's passion. I'm sure there are options in between those extremes. There are advantages with having a job that you can leave mentally as you walk out the door as well.

My plan is always just to say yes to opportunities. That's it.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (27-04-2016),Full House  (27-04-2016),gingermillie  (27-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2016),MissMuppet  (28-04-2016),SuperGranny  (29-04-2016),TheGooch  (27-04-2016),Wise Enough  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Only you can work out a plan. It will take sacrifices, hard work, and you'll need to jump hurdles that might sometimes feel impossible to jump...but a career isn't going to fall in your lap. You have to fight for it.
    This! First, you need to make a decision on what it is you want to do. Then you need to make your plan. If you're not working, have access to ccb/ccr and are already able to manage in your current financial situation then you are in a much better position than most. You can study part time if you dedicate 2-3 full days to study while your little ones are at cc. You will have to make sacrifices to make it work. You have a degree already so you're obviously smart.

When I was pregnant with Dd I realised I wanted better than just a job and knew study was the only option. I have a keen interest in health (Maori health in particular). I decided that I was going to do a Bachelor of Health Science with a double major in Maori health and Public health. Since researching career pathways and options, I have realised that Medicine is a very realistic option. This was the 10 year plan I wrote down in 2013.

2014-Mat leave
    2015-Work part time/do yr11&12 again
    2016-Have another baby (due in 5 weeks), finish yr11&12, sit STAT.
    2017-move back to NZ and go to uni. Do first year Health Science at Auckland Uni. Apply for second year Med if I have the grades.
    2018-19-complete BHSc or 2018-2022-study medicine.

This involves selling our house, going from a combined income of $130k to supporting a family on a student allowance of $350/wk, savings and money made from the house sale. Dh would become a SAHP until we are ready to put our youngest in cc. In NZ we will have access to cc for as little as $10/wk once Ds turns 2. Then Dh wants to go study as well or return to work.

Giving up everything we have here in Australia is terrifying but this is something I really want so I can have job satisfaction and be able to provide a better future for my children. Whether I do public health or medicine I will be able to earn a very good income allowing me to work part time and have a work/family balance.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 27-04-2016 at 20:29.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (27-04-2016),Full House  (27-04-2016),SuperGranny  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone married to a dr with lots of dr friends, whilst there's money in some areas there's also 10+ yrs of ur life being treated badly terrible hours and very average pay which is only good money in total Coz ur doing 70+ hrs a week.....yes once a gp there's better flexible hrs but b4 that not really.....
    Has anyone considered book keeping? It's a shortish course and can do casual small business stuff....
    Dental assistants earn reasonable money with low start up requirements.... Dental technicians 2y TAFE course fairly good money....( they make crowns bridges etc)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2016),Wise Enough  (27-04-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    OP I was just thinking, just in the meantime could you use your journalism degree and offer yourself out for editing at local businesses? It's something you could do from home with minimal effort, and it seems that the world needs more editors :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (29-04-2016)