+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Jet lag help!

So I need some advice about how to help a 10 month baby overcome jet lag. We arrived late last night from Madrid having done a straight journey (7 hours to Dubai then quick turn around and 14 hours to Sydney). Ds2 is a pretty rubbish sleeper anyway but normally when he's tired he goes to sleep ok at night, it's just the constant wake ups that are a problem. However now he's jet lagged he's unable to go to sleep as hes literally bouncing off the walls but is obviously shattered so then gets hysterical. Last night we arrived home at 11.30 pm and despite the fact that he had been awake for 11 hours straight as he didn't sleep much on the second flight, he was wide awake at 2am and it took quite a long time of just laying with him on our bed, feeding on and off etc for him to fall asleep.
    When we went to Europe we stopped overnight in Dubai and it helped a bit as he slept better on the second flight but it still took about a week before he stopped waking up midway through the night and we had to sit up playing with him etc until he crashed again.
    He's too young to take phenergan but I asked a pharmacist today if there was anything I could give and she mentioned if I had a prescription I could get some melatonin made up. Has anyone used this for babies? Years ago I had some tablets for jet lag and it worked brilliantly for me. Any other tips or advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There isn't anything you can give them this young I don't think. We did Mel-Toronto at Christmas and the jet lag was tough.

DS was 4 months going, 5 coming back. For us, the things that worked were lots of sunshine / natural light during the day. It's supposed to help reset their internal clock. And time.

It was a rough few days on either end, but they do get over it. DS was a shocking sleeper too, so I feel your pain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping. Any more advice? Dr today said melatonin can only be used over 18 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've been through this when DS was 16 months, I remember him being up and eating toast in the middle of the night! It may be a tough few days, but there's not much you can do other than give it time, we were OK after about a week. Luckily I was not working at the time but DH had to go straight back, poor guy!