+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Homework

Has anyone negotiated with their child's school for their child not to do homework unless it is consolidation of what has already been learnt?

I have a DD in year 6 and a DD in year 4.

I really have no issues with any of the homework except for one subject for DD in year 6.

Alternately I can just dictate the answers and she can hand it in like that. I am so over it!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't have a school aged child, but just wondering if your school has a homework policy? We are only allowed to set homework that is either revision, consolidation or finishing off incomplete schoolwork. In other words, work that the child can complete independently. So I'd start with the policy and go from there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school does the homework grid (pick 3 activities type deal) each week for the older grades. Activities like walk around the house and find kinds of power; 5 times table etc.

Just readers for the younger grades.

In primary school id hope they'd be fairly flexible with homework... Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes. I write on it that my child doesn't understand could they please revise the work in class.
    I never make a child do something they truly don't understand or haven't covered in class already.
    Assignment research I will sit with them and help but not regular classwork.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our son is starting kindergarten next year and we are hoping to be in the catchment that we prefer by the time we have to enrol him. Their homework policy states that homework is optional. We will do the reading but won't force him to do homework.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I don't have a school aged child, but just wondering if your school has a homework policy? We are only allowed to set homework that is either revision, consolidation or finishing off incomplete schoolwork. In other words, work that the child can complete independently. So I'd start with the policy and go from there.
    Thank you Our policy states the same. This seems to be incomplete class work for Geography. She just doesn't get it at all. I have had words with the teacher previously and was flat out lied to by said teacher in the parent/teacher interview. As she is in year 6 they swap teachers for different subjects and have a homeroom teacher. DD is having lots and lots of trouble with comprehension, she gets additional help for English (and has an independent learning plan) but this is Geography.

I have no issue with the spelling, reading and maths homework.

So it could be my annoyance with the teacher that is clouding my judgement.

DD has spent 1 hour at maths tutoring this afternoon and to come home and do this is just too much for her (and me).

Quote Originally Posted by mmaf View Post
    Our school does the homework grid (pick 3 activities type deal) each week for the older grades. Activities like walk around the house and find kinds of power; 5 times table etc.

Just readers for the younger grades.

In primary school id hope they'd be fairly flexible with homework... Good luck!
    Year 4 they get very similar, with a lot of online homework. I think your grid sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Yes. I write on it that my child doesn't understand could they please revise the work in class.
    I never make a child do something they truly don't understand or haven't covered in class already.
    Assignment research I will sit with them and help but not regular classwork.
    I might do this tonight I think. It is now 7pm and she is tired after maths tutoring. If we finish it now it is me doing it for her really . I told the teacher this is what was happening, she didn't seem too fussed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our school doesn't automatically give homework. They ask the parents what they prefer to be done etc. for the primary grades at least (we are a k-12). I often approach the teachers and ask for homework for my 1st grader for certain subjects to be sent home if he is having trouble understanding something that they are working on in class, in the hopes I can explain it differently and he will get it. But I wouldn't expect them to be sending home something he hasn't already covered in class.