+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Thanks
    1,112
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Property question

    Lovely knowledgable ladies on bub hun, just needing some advice as i have no clue on this.

    My family own 3 investment properties, ill call them A, B & C.

    In total the loan for these 3 properties combined is $1 million.

    If A and B sells at $400,000 each then the total loan left over is $200,000.

    My hubby and I may look into living in property C which is valued at around $400,000.

    We aren't sure if its best if we take over the mortgage repayments on $200,000 which will still be under my families names.

    Or

    Should we purchase the property and if this is the case, how is it treated from a tax and bank perspective, for example, do we just apply for a loan for the $200,000 and then pay that to my family, even though the house is valued more than double the amount remaining?

    Thanks in advance ladies :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,492
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Property question

    If you take over the mortgage the home will still be in other people's names so you won't technically own it and I think it's better to get their names off in case of any drama down the track!
    If you buy them out ( pay off the mortgage plus their share of its value) then you will still be up for stamp duty of the value of the home but then obviously it's yours and any capital growth over the years you won't have to share - as far as the bank is concerned you can buy any home for any amount, they will just do their own valuations ( I've had clients sell houses to family for $1 but you have to pay stamp duty on the actual value of the home )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Thanks
    1,112
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you take over the mortgage the home will still be in other people's names so you won't technically own it and I think it's better to get their names off in case of any drama down the track!
    If you buy them out ( pay off the mortgage plus their share of its value) then you will still be up for stamp duty of the value of the home but then obviously it's yours and any capital growth over the years you won't have to share - as far as the bank is concerned you can buy any home for any amount, they will just do their own valuations ( I've had clients sell houses to family for $1 but you have to pay stamp duty on the actual value of the home )
    Thanks heaps @Elijahs Mum
    We would only be paying the amount left on the loan, what do you mean by 'plus their share of its value'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,492
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Property question

    If it's worth more than what you all paid for it , less what's owing, then they have technically made money on it so you would pay them their share of any profit ( so if they bought it for say $300k and it's now worth $400k if you all sold it now you would all share in the $100k profit , so if there are say 4 family members each gets $25,000 - if that makes sense!) but if they are happy just to clear the debt then that's great for you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Thanks
    1,112
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If it's worth more than what you all paid for it , less what's owing, then they have technically made money on it so you would pay them their share of any profit ( so if they bought it for say $300k and it's now worth $400k if you all sold it now you would all share in the $100k profit , so if there are say 4 family members each gets $25,000 - if that makes sense!) but if they are happy just to clear the debt then that's great for you!
    That makes perfect sense. Thanks so much lovely lady, can always count on you to know these things :-)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (26-04-2016)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,417
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    2,217
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you take over the mortgage the home will still be in other people's names so you won't technically own it and I think it's better to get their names off in case of any drama down the track!
    If you buy them out ( pay off the mortgage plus their share of its value) then you will still be up for stamp duty of the value of the home but then obviously it's yours and any capital growth over the years you won't have to share - as far as the bank is concerned you can buy any home for any amount, they will just do their own valuations ( I've had clients sell houses to family for $1 but you have to pay stamp duty on the actual value of the home )
    How does this work if the person still has existing mortgage??

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,417
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    2,217
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Property question

    .

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,492
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    How does this work if the person still has existing mortgage??
    The bank won't transfer the title unless the mortgage is paid out - so if there is $200k owing you can't sell it for $1 , the only time a bank will take less than what it is owed is if it is a bankruptcy or they have taken possession and then they will usually take the highest bid at auction

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,417
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    2,217
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The bank won't transfer the title unless the mortgage is paid out - so if there is $200k owing you can't sell it for $1 , the only time a bank will take less than what it is owed is if it is a bankruptcy or they have taken possession and then they will usually take the highest bid at auction
    Thank u that's what I thought.

    Having similar situation with properties so many hard decisions ARGH!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    514
    Thanked
    625
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If multiple family members have bought I would assume it is set up as a trust account. When you sell you need to also take into account agent selling fee's for each property and capital gains tax aswell. As for the final property you can buy them out but your names would have to be on the original mortgage if this is the case you don't have to pay stamp duty on a property you already own a share in but your mortgage will be higher than what is currently left owing to the bank


 

Similar Threads

  1. Property developers
    By monnie24 in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 08:20
  2. WWYD -Property Question
    By A-Squared in forum General Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-08-2015, 21:42
  3. Tell me about your investment property?
    By bigmummahen in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-06-2015, 22:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan - Brisbane Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan is a highly respected Obstetrician, Gynaecologist and IVF Specialist on Brisbane's Northside. To book an appointment or for information about his Affordable Low-Gaps Obstetrics please call his rooms on (07) 3353 3100
featured supporter
L'il Aussie Prems Foundation
An Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at high risk of giving birth prematurely, who have babies currently in hospital and families with toddlers who were born too soon.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!