+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you keep your children contained at night?

For children that are out of cots, but still young enough to be a danger to themselves and others when unsupervised.
    Here's our situation:
    - Can't leave the bedroom door open at night because he might escape.
    - Would rather not close and lock the bedroom door while we sleep, because inadequate ventilation, it gets uncomfortably stuffy with the door shut.
    - Need to be able to close the door for when one person is sleeping in there but the others are up and being noisy.
    - Can't attach a baby gate as we're in a rental. It would have to be one of the pressure mounted gates, but that would block the door from ever being closed.
    - We've generally babyproofed pretty well but the kitchen is open plan and I'm not sure we could make it fully toddler safe.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions that I haven't thought of?
    Currently we're barricading the door with furniture every night but that isn't a good long term solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What's actually happening? Is he getting himself up at night and doing what?

I'm against shutting or locking doors at night so we've never done anything. If our kids wake we just get up to them and take them back to bed.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (26-04-2016),binnielici  (26-04-2016),JR03  (26-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-04-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    does a pressure mounted gate have to be fixed in place ?? How often is your little one getting up in the night?? I guess that is the problem. Would some sort of movement detecting light be a solution?? when the light come on would that wake you up? I have never had a night wanderer. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a safety gate and were still able to close the door when required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used a safety gate too and were still able to close the door. It wasn't fixed to the door either, just a pressure mounted one so you could use it in a rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where is the bedroom? Attached to a hallway? We close DDs door, mainly because the light really gets to her so it's easier to have her in a dark room - but she can still open the door when she's ready so we close off the hallway door too where the handle is higher. So then she has to come get us if shes ready to be up/about in the morning.
    The bathroom/laundry/toilet doors are all closed too so she can only access our room if shes up.

So maybe if you have a hallway you could gate that off instead?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a fan of closing/locking doors personally. I was an anxious child and was always scared if the doors were closed/locked.

I prefer my kids to have access to leace their room to see me/DH and the bathroom.

If you have a hallway is it possible to put a gate in the hallway?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he in a room on his own? My dd is still in our room so I haven't had to think this one through yet. However, when I wanted to block off an archway from our lounge to the make shift study area we used a two sides off a play pen, opened straight across the arch. We then used weights at each end to hold it in place. I wonder if something similar might work and still let you open/close the door as needed? It wasn't the neatest solution but it the best we could come up with given we're renting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has he gotten up and out of his room at night?
    We don't shut doors or contain our kids but I've found I wake straight away if I hear feet in the hallway.
    What about a motion sensor light? It switching on might wake you up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What's actually happening? Is he getting himself up at night and doing what?

I'm against shutting or locking doors at night so we've never done anything. If our kids wake we just get up to them and take them back to bed.
    How do you know when your kids wake? We don't always wake up when he does, he just quietly gets out of bed and wanders out. He's very much into exploring, investigating, getting into everything. I'm thinking that locking down every single door/drawer/cupboard/oven/fridge and removing anything remotely climbable is actually the way to go. He'll still be able to turn the oven on, but hopefully not put things in it first

Quote Originally Posted by Amber4304 View Post
    We used a safety gate and were still able to close the door when required.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    We used a safety gate too and were still able to close the door. It wasn't fixed to the door either, just a pressure mounted one so you could use it in a rental.
    I haven't been able to find one that's narrow enough to fit within our doorframe, unless it goes where the door goes :-/ Will keep looking!
    @SuperGranny - oooh motion sensors! I like it!