+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Which pump is best?

So I have a medela freestyle that I used with DD for only about 10 weeks. I liked it. DD didn't latch, had silent reflux and I had very little supply probably due to her not feeding as well as pcos and retained placenta.

This time I really want to breastfeed successfully and want an excellent supply. I'm buying an SNS and wondering if I should get the spectra S1 or stick to my medela freestyle. Both are double pump.

Which would you pick?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used a medela at the hospital which was fine, but love my Spectra S1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    I used a medela at the hospital which was fine, but love my Spectra S1.
    What did you prefer about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also love my spectra. Very quiet, has a massage function to stimulate letdown, then you switch to whatever program works for you, there are about 10 different programs to choose, closed system so no risk of mould (have heard this can be an issue with certain medela pumps), compatible with Avent bottles/storage system, has a built in nightlight.
    I pumped every work day for about 8 months, could get 100ml in 10 min with my spectra (that could be just me though).
    I found it to be not much more in cost than the medela too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although if you already have a working medela and like it I probably wouldn't spend the money to get a spectra too!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (25-04-2016),TheGooch  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had a great supply either. With my last I was determined to only BF and not comp feed so I got the medela. TBH, the advent handheld worked better than the medela.
    If you already have the medela I wouldn't spend more money on another one. See how pumping goes first, if you have a good supply and pumping well but still want the S1 then get it but I wouldn't worry about it beforehand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby is 11 so I'm not up to speed with the pumps that are currently available.

I would recommend finding something that can be used one handed. I got the best results expressing with the baby on one boob and the pump on the other. I just had a manual Avent but got heaps of milk with it using this method because the baby was stimulating the letdowns.

ETA not related to pumps, but I had a terrible time breastfeeding my oldest. Deep down I blamed myself for low supply and, for needing to comp with formula, despite him having severe reflux, screaming around the clock and not feeding properly. I had a totally different experience with my second child who fed like a champ from day one, left hospital at 48 hours old above her birth weight and I found I had too much milk. I've found that every baby is a different experience and am hoping that things click for you breastfeeding wise second time round.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 25-04-2016 at 20:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh I never thought to express and feed at the same time! Last time I used to place it in my bra so I didn't really have to hold it.

Really hoping this experience is much easier and more successful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    What did you prefer about it?
    I didn't use the hospital Medela long enough to really develop a strong option either way.

I already had the Spectra waiting at home, and have never had an issue with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But agree, if you have one, I'd stick with it. Unless you can recoup some costs by selling it second hand.