+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone know anything about induction cooktops?

Hi

Bit random, but does anyone know anything about induction cooktops?

We are looking to replace an old electric cooktop, but can't get gas connected to the house - so we're looking at an induction cooktop instead!

I've had a look online, and I'm all confused by it all... What's the difference between a $900 one and a $2,500 one? What are the good brands? Do I need under bench ventilation?

If you have one, what kind is it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently put an induction cook top in to replace a ceramic one.

We don't have under bench ventilation - I think anyway lol ours is a Miele so was at the higher end of the price range. The difference in prices is partly brand related and partly features. Ours has a couple of features I particularly wanted (and some of the cheaper models have these features - I also wanted Miele as it is a brand I trust).

The features I wanted was a boost function. So it allows a quick heat up. For example I can bring a 4l pot of water to a rolling boil in about 60-90 seconds. It also has a bridge function which allows you to connect all four cooking zones to create a large zone. This is great when I'm using my water bath for canning.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just double check the pan recognition. My parents just put a Bosche induction cooktop in and they need to use their biggest pan on the smallest element. None of their other pans will work and they can't use the larger elements. Needless to say they have complained and are getting the cooktop swapped for a traditional ceramic cooktop.
    We had an induction cooktop in one of our rentals (can't remember the brand) and we had no dramas.
    Just make sure you do your research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Check your saucepans too (as some of your saucepans you own) might not work on an induction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone. Research is exhausting! But must be done...

60-90 sec to boil water sounds great! Especially after the slow electric we have, which takes about 15 min! So slow! Ain't nobody got time for that.

Re the Bosch having problems recognising pans, i wonder why? I would have aasumed it was a dodgy unit and new one would fix the problem. Bit of a worry if it's a design problem!

Ps I've checked and our saucepans are magnetic so hopefully we won't need new ones ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. Funnily enough, we have the induction saucepans but have a ceramic cooktop. I didn't even realize what induction cookware was lol just loved the quality of the saucepans!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Westinghouse induction cooktop and I love it! IMHO its better than gas (easier to clean). We dont have underbench ventilation but we did need to buy induction safe pots & pans. Id get another Westinghouse induction cooktop in a heartbeat but not a Westinghouse oven again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.

Do you just need an electrician to do the wiring etc, or do you need a professional installer too? I have a relative who is a sparky so I'm hoping he's all we'll need!

Ps what was wrong with the Westinghouse oven? I'll be looking at ovens too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's probably the Westinghouse model I got, or the fact its only 600mm wide (Ive heard the 900mm wide ovens can circulate/distribute heat evenly due to their size?) but it doesnt heat evenly. It has hot spots and Im constantly having to rotate trays as they cook. Pain in the backside, I cant just stick something in the oven and forget about it.
    Prior to this oven I had an Ariston oven, it was 600mm wide also but it cooked evenly, no hot spots. It was magic.
    I also dont rate Westinghouse dishwashers but again it could be the model we got. Its so noisy. Ariston was much much quieter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an Electrolux induction and it's fantastic. Regard the pots, you need pots that will conduct heat, so glass, ceramic and aluminium will not work.