+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Second Families/Older Dads

I'm happily seeing someone 15 years older than me. He already has 4 children (21, 19, 18 and 10) but says he would have more.

Am I making a mistake to think about starting a 'second' family with someone quite a lot older?Please share any advice/second family stories.
    Last edited by Flicka28; 25-04-2016 at 09:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old is he?!

From personal experience...

My DH is 52 years old (going on 53). I am 41 (about to turn 42). DH has 4 children from a previous marriage.

We have been married for nearly three years and have been doing IVF for 2 years now. Why would his age rob him of the opportunity to have children, if that's what he wishes to do?

The road has not been easy (more because of my age than his) and we are now looking into donor eggs, but we are equally as excited as each other to think that maybe one day we will have our baby.

I say, if your relationship is strong and you can provide for your child, go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DF (11 years my senior) and I are happily together and have a 10 month old. We are his 'second family'. No regrets at all, we are very happy. It's hard to imagine what things would have been like if he hadn't been married before as our family wouldn't seem complete without DSS1 and DSS2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's 46. Thank you for your posts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flicka28 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's fit and healthy and has a 10 year who in three years is a teenager. I don't think a newborn/toddler would be too much of a challenge for him! Your familys opinion shouldn't play into this at all, so forget them, you go for it.
    He sounds eager and positive and that's excellent! He knows what involved. If anything I'd say this is a great set up for you to have your first! Go for it. Don't um and ah for years and find yourself worrying even more!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Balfour For This Useful Post:

Flicka28  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    😃 thank you Balfour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Your situation sounds similar to mine! Hubby is 15 years older than me (I'm 31 and he's turning 46 this year). He has 2 older kids - daughter is 26 (we don't have anything to do with her - her choice) and my DSS is 21 (we have a great relationship with him).
    We are expecting a baby girl in September and we couldn't be happier.
    Good luck with your family plans and I hope everything turns out exactly as you dream it will xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amethyst85 For This Useful Post:

Flicka28  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    46 is nothing. Go for it.