+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by daveallyisla View Post
    Even if she only sleeps no longer than an hour each nap?
    If bub is only sleeping for one cycle/no longer than an hour that's a sign the sleep environment isn't right. Possibly cold, possibly location, comforter... Likely timing of the naps. Maybe look at edging towards 2.5 hour gaps for bub. Eg if wake at 6:30am, first nap at 9am. Bub might sleep longer. Then try the same gap between the second nap. For the first few days if things go pear shaped depending on when bub wakes from the second nap you could always put bub to bed early (eg 6:30pm). If you must offer a third nap keep it short (30 minutes) but wake no later than 4pm if you want bub in bed at 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    She's got puréed fruit (normally apple and pear) for breakfast and puréed veg (we alternate between carrot & sweet potato and cauliflower and broccoli) for lunch and dinner.

We stopped for a while about a month ago because she got badly constipated but she's not anymore.
    Add protein/meat and carbs if you can. Fruit and veg isn't very filing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Please help!! Advice needed...

Even if she only sleeps no longer than an hour each nap?
    Could you try and stretch out both sleeps by 1/2 hour each? She may then nap longer each time and be able to get by with just 2 sleeps and perhaps a slightly earlier bed time for a while.

Do you offer panadol or teething gel at night? If you do try and she still wakes up on the hour every hour, then you can at least rule out teething.

This is what makes it so difficult. There are so many reasons for this happening and so many things to try and change and it's bloody hard to know what it is. Or if in fact none of the changes (even if picking 1 and sticking to it consistently) may not ever work and you may need to ride it out.

Based on what you've now said about wonder weeks etc if it were me, I would try panadol and / or teething gel first.

If that makes no difference, wait until the end of the leap and then try and wake her up at the same time every day and stretching out the awake times little by little to try 2 sleeps.

Then try and ditch the dummy. But that's just me, I'm not a passive person, I just don't have the mental strength to ride things out for months on end so this is where I'm coming from with my advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not passive to ride out bad patches of sleep @A-Squared. It actually can be very exhausting for the parent to go thru a short/long stretch of broken sleep.

It's tiring as you are trying to maintain your parenting ethos whilst running on 2-3hrs total sleep a night.

It's tiring to constantly have to validate your parenting from idiotic health care workers.

It's tiring to get up at 5am after a broken nights sleep to deal with other children and hubby is away again.

But you do it as you believe is the best way of dealing for your child. So please don't call it passive.

Riding it out is having faith in your child to get over their developmental hurdles by themselves. And it's not easy to always have that faith in yourself nor your child.

And this is coming from a very very tired mum who is riding out her almost 7mth olds shocking sleep ATM. This too will pass.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-04-2016),binnielici  (25-04-2016),Busy-Bee  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've ridden it out and I've fought it. Riding it out was better. For us.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (25-04-2016),ICanDream  (25-04-2016)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Riding it out worked for us too. It is perfectly normal for babies to wake during the night, even if they haven't done in the past. What works one day might not work the next. Cute as they are they do like to keep us on our toes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I add I don't think @A-Squared meant any offence at all by saying she prefers to "do something" and not be passive about sleep issues.

Yes riding it out is tough. Having had 4 kids I've done both and agree BOTH are hard. But sorry if the term is upsetting but doing nothing to actively change a sleep pattern is by its definition passive. It's not a criticism.

Can we have one sleep thread that doesn't turn into a fight between the same people?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-04-2016),Albert01  (25-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (25-04-2016),binnielici  (25-04-2016),harvs  (25-04-2016),Ngaiz  (25-04-2016),VicPark  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used teething gels and Panadol before bed, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Hubby thinks it could be wind pain because whenever we pick her up she instantly fluffs and she fluffs every time I feed her.

It's definitely hard to pin point the problem.

So far we know that it's not the sleeping environment or being cold. I'll ride it out until the leap is over and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Can I add I don't think @A-Squared meant any offence at all by saying she prefers to "do something" and not be passive about sleep issues.

Yes riding it out is tough. Having had 4 kids I've done both and agree BOTH are hard. But sorry if the term is upsetting but doing nothing to actively change a sleep pattern is by its definition passive. It's not a criticism.

Can we have one sleep thread that doesn't turn into a fight between the same people?
    Yes no offence meant. If anyone knows me on here they know that I'm forever trying to word my posts in a way I think I can help an OP, but without casting negativity towards those who may not agree. Passive personalities generally take the path of least resistance even if it means their needs aren't being met. I don't think having a passive personality is a bad thing in the slightest, it's just the opposite of me.

But in agreeable with Sonia's last sentence, OP my advice still stands. It is what feels right for me and has worked for me and I don't have any more to add, so I'll bow out now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-04-2016),VicPark  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Yes no offence meant. If anyone knows me on here they know that I'm forever trying to word my posts in a way I think I can help an OP, but without casting negativity towards those who may not agree. Passive personalities generally take the path of least resistance even if it means their needs aren't being met. I don't think having a passive personality is a bad thing in the slightest, it's just the opposite of me.

But in agreeable with Sonia's last sentence, OP my advice still stands. It is what feels right for me and has worked for me and I don't have any more to add, so I'll bow out now.
    None taken 😊