+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids before milk

My baby is nearly 12 months old. When I go back to work I won't have time in the morning to give her breakfast then breastfeed her. I'm wanting to continue feeding (she doesn't sleep through consistently and if needed I will settle her with a feed at night).

Am I doing her a disservice though by filling her up with milk before breakfast? I find she will not eat much before around 9 regardless - of course if she did have a feed overnight!

When she does sleep through which is most often now I feed her on waking as her reward lol! Thoughts?

She's only 7.9kg and I've been told to keep at 3 feeds until she's firmly 12 months.

Am I better just to drop this and offer a cup with breakfast? (She needs prescription formula as she's intolerant to dairy which doesn't help, and she doesn't like the formula. Not that keen
    on pumping again I did so much of it to get her feeding!!)
    Last edited by Leksie5000; 25-04-2016 at 06:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Can you breastfeed then give her a piece of toast for in the car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I always BF DD as soon as she woke up (about 6am), then she had a piece of toast or a banana about 7am at that age. I never really stressed too much about breakfast as daycare serves "morning tea" at 9.30 am anyway which is usually breakfasty type food (scrambled egg, toast, weetbix, yoghurt/fruit etc) so she gets second breakfast there anyway!
    For the rest of the day we did solids before BF.
    Is your DD going to daycare? Can you find out what the snack/meal routine is?
    Piece of toast in the car could be a good option as pp mentioned.
    ETA: interestingly the early morning feed was the last to go for us, DD dropped her bedtime feed about the 12 month mark, but I think she would have kept up the early morning one indefinitely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD always gets BF as soon as she wakes up then has breakfast about 1-2 hrs later. She always still eats her breakfast.

I'm going back to work soon and like you won't have much time in the morning (will have to drop DD off at 6:30!) and plan on getting daycare to give her breakfast at about 7. They don't do food so will need to provide it.

If I were you I'd do BF at home and then breakfast at daycare. But I loathe expressing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you want to continue feeding then I'd breastfeed her before soluds at that time. Most daycares will serve breakfast too for children dropped off at 6.30/7 am (ours do) i worry about my children eating in the car and choking etc when they're that young so wouldn't feed in car. Id breastfeed at home drive to daycare and then breaky at daycare. Will keep your supply up to by keeping that feed

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Can you breastfeed then give her a piece of toast for in the car?
    No car, she's getting dropped off by my husband to his parents or my parents will come to our place.

She does eat breakfast of course it's just that I won't be the one giving it to her. Won't normally eat much until around 9 whether I bf her first up or not.