+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing schools interstate

Hi all, hope someone can help!
    We’re relocating back to Australia in July after 12 yrs in the Middle East, which is why I've just joined the bubhub. We had planned to live in Brisbane and have a school place booked for our son who turns 10 on 03 June 2016. By QLD rules he would join halfway through Yr5 and be one of the youngest in the class (he’s coming from a British curriculum school where he finishes Yr5 at the the end of June 2016). He’s academically very bright so we were happy with this.

Now looks like we may have to be in Melbourne for a couple of years before Brisbane and there he would join halfway through Yr4 as his birthday falls after the 30 April cut off. Question is: what happens when we move to QLD in 2 years time? Would he jump a year at school?? How does that work??
    We’re also concerned that going in half way through Yr4 in VIC will be a problem as academically he may already be ahead of his classmates and then get v bored and demotivated. Anyone else experienced this moving from UK system to Australia, or the problem of moving interstate when your child has a birthday between the 30 April and 30 June cut offs??!!! It’s doing my head in I have to say… Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No personal experience, but a friend of mine moved between QLD, SA and VIC a few times in her schooling. Her birthday was end of May, so missed the VIC cut off, but they just put her up a year (so she was in the same year as she had been in the other states). I would think that if you talk to the school and tell them you think he would do better in year 5 than 4 then the should be able to be a bit flexible about this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Barzan40  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for this - we will be talking to the school but I just wanted to know if schools are willing to be flexible. Hard to know what to do as academically he's bright and I want him to be challenged but he can be immature in his behaviour so could be hard being the youngest in the class especially when having to cope with the stress of coming from overseas and knowing no one and being new to the Australian curriculum! Aggghhhh!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you would need to speak to individual schools. The rules have become much stricter over the years and I don't think schools have the latitude to have the flexibility they once had.

Based on my experience, your kids would be slotted into a cohort according to their age. When we moved interstate, the kids were slotted in with their age group and effectively skipped a grade (moving to qld and being slotted into grades that did not do the prep year, when they had done the equivalent interstate).

My oldest is at uni with someone one? / two? years younger due to moving from England and being slotted into a grade based on ability rather than age. I doubt this would happen anymore though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Barzan40  (25-04-2016)