+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Families with two different surnames.

I went back to my maiden name after my divorce and the kids have their father's surname.

I find myself not knowing what to write when asked for the "family" name and often put "Smith/Jones".

What do other people put? I find it especially weird at school because usually when they ask for family name, they are wanting the parent's info but then the kids go there IYKWIM. It's ok at the kids current school because it's small enough for the office ladies to know exactly who I am and what kids I belong to but I'm thinking ahead to high school when there will be lots and lots of people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I didn't change my name when i got married. My kids have DH's surname. Family name on forms is his and the kids. Doesn't bother me. We always add my name if needs be as "mother's surname".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Family name I always put the kids surname.
    It's not my surname though as I never took my husband's name when we married.
    So far I haven't encountered any problems filling in forms.
    Sometimes people address me as Mrs X (Hubby's name) and if it's important I correct them but if it's someone we won't see again I don't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Families with two different surnames.

When forms ask for the family name, they are referring to the child's legal surname (sometimes referred to as 'family name'). Usually schools will have a record of the mother's and father's details, so there shouldn't be any confusion as to who their parents are. It's not uncommon for mothers to have a different surname to their child if they didn't change their name when they married, not married or are separated. Sometimes families decide their children will have a hyphenated name including the mother's and father's surname.

What are your children's legal names?
    Last edited by sarahd80; 24-04-2016 at 13:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest has both mine and his father's surname. I always but his surname on paperwork and had no issues - I guess because it included my surname.

DS2 and DS3 will both have their dad's surname but I did not change my name when we married. As Po have said so far for DS2 I just put his name on forms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have a different surname to my kids and if someone asks for surname I just flat out ask "my name or the kids?"
    Doesn't bother me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't change my name and the kids have dhs surname. I would just use dh name if asked for family name.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We have three surnames. Mine, dh's and ds's. I think this is one of the benefits of having ds's surname hyphenated as it's more obvious on paper that we are related iykwim. I usually put family name as ds's name in these circumstances. I think Smith/Jones is probably the most appropriate in your circumstance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's quite common these days. When booking appointments for DD etc, they usually ask me if I have the same surname as her rather than just assume. (We don't have the same name yet, when DF and I get our butts into gear and actually arrange a wedding we will).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    We have three surnames. Mine, dh's and ds's. I think this is one of the benefits of having ds's surname hyphenated as it's more obvious on paper that we are related iykwim. I usually put family name as ds's name in these circumstances. I think Smith/Jones is probably the most appropriate in your circumstance.
    Yep, exactly our situation too. 3 surnames.