+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    It took me 8/9 weeks to get AF again. I worried myself stupid googling Ashermans etc but an appointment with my trusted obstetrician helped to put my mind at ease a lot. Honestly, if you're really worried, call your obstetrician and ask them rather than relying on google searches and forum posts. I am really sorry for anyone that has had a negative experience, there are risks with any sort of surgery, and there are also risks if you decided not to have the D&C.

But please speak to an expert (ie an experienced, trusted ObGyn) they have a wealth of knowledge and experience and will give you the facts.
    Thanks, I second that - googling stuff is definitely not a good idea I've been on google constantly looking at worst case scenarios and all it has done has worried me sick which has made me physically worse and I'm still no more 'in the know' than I was before! So I strongly advise against self diagnosis using the internet.

I adon't have an obstetrician (I presume you phoned the Dr who dis the surgery?) my GP isnt worried. I am glad that you recovered and everything looks fine for you after such a long wait for your AF to arrive and such worry. Better to put your mind at ease to be safe and get checked so I will definitely do that if pain doesn't get better soon or my period doesn't show in a few weeks. I'm 2 weeks post op today and cannot wait for my normal period to show up!!
    Last edited by Lancashire Lass; 23-06-2016 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
    Thanks, I second that - googling stuff is definitely not a good idea I've been on google constantly looking at worst case scenarios and all it has done has worried me sick which has made me physically worse and I'm still no more 'in the know' than I was before! So I strongly advise against self diagnosis using the internet.

I adon't have an obstetrician (I presume you phoned the Dr who dis the surgery?) my GP isnt worried. I am glad that you recovered and everything looks fine for you after such a long wait for your AF to arrive and such worry. Better to put your mind at ease to be safe and get checked so I will definitely do that if pain doesn't get better soon or my period doesn't show in a few weeks. I'm 2 weeks post op today and cannot wait for my normal period to show up!!
    Best of luck, give your body some time to recover. Everyone is different. I was lucky with my OB she knows we google everything so often gives me fact sheets and specifically says 'don't google!'. She had mentioned scarring as a rare complication both before my procedure and at my follow up appointment and from memory I quizzed her on the possible risk etc but it was very low. She also told me to call anytime with any questions and that if AF hadn't returned within a month of my follow up we could do some blood tests and go from there - so it was good to have that 'next step' if I needed it - thankfully I didn't. Best of luck, hope AF shows for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello, I'm back, again.

The good news is that I'm 4 months post D&C and have had 4 periods, the last 3 of which have been almost regularly timed. My first one took a bit longer than usual at 31 days post-op and I bled for 20 days after the operation, including brown spotting towards the end of that period. My last 3 periods have been spaced at 24-26 (not sure when I started bleeding red properly), 26, then 28 days apart. My usual cycle was about 26/27 days so I don't feel like my cycle is too messed up right now.

However my periods have changed since the D&C, I now start off by bleeding small amounts of brown blood (I don't count this as day 1 of period) often it is stringy and has gooey bits in and this lasts for 2 days, then I bleed fairly heavily a normal red blood for 3 days, then I finish off with small amounts of very dark brown blood again for about 2 days. So all up this lasts for 7 days. My pre-pregnancy periods lasted for about 5 all up and I had never ever had any brown bleeding before. The brown bleeding first appeared just after I'd started miscarrying (first lots of liquid, then red, big lump of tissue) and then it continued brown for almost 2 weeks leading up to my D&C, while the baby did not grow in this time (measured 12 weeks still rather than 14.)

My question is whether anyone else has experienced similar things after D&C and whether it corrected itself after a while, or whether this might be something to worry about? brown blood means old blood so I am worried about possible scarring or hormonal regulation problems.

I am still so sad after the loss, especially as it was a very complicated one and I did not double-check before going ahead with the D&C as I was in such a state so I blame myself and wonder what if there was a small chance it was viable if I had waited it out. I still want my baby back and by this point I know that this feeling isn't going to go away with time. I will be going to my GP in the next couple of weeks for a repeat prescription and will definitely bring this issue up with her, but in the mean time I was hoping for similar experiences/ advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had a DnC but my period always starts with brown stringy bits. It always has and I've now had two kids. After my first DD my period changed so much! Omg it was an overnight pad every hour. But things eventually settled down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar thing happen after a d&c. I went from periods lasting 4-5 days, to 11 days. Mine turned out to be Adenomyosis and was just a coincidence that I was diagnosed with it after the d&c. It's worth seeing a doctor about it, especially if you are ttc again.
    It took me a long time to get over my miscarriage. It was one of the hardest things I've ever been through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, I have a GP appointment booked for Monday and will keep this thread updated with what happens. I'm also on B vitamins as I read that this can help with heavy periods and am trying to eat healthily. It's good to know that some women do have that icky brown stuff before a period, although since it's not normal for me and has only started since the pregnancy/d&c so I am still worried. It must be so frustrating to go onto an 11 day cycle bluehawaii, as if women don't have enough pain to endure already with 'normal' cycles! I also have slight pain on the right side of my lower abdomen, I've had cysts before, but this time I'm getting twinges throughout my cycle rather than at ovulation. I'm hoping this could just be that I'm more tuned into my body right now. I feel like my body is so messed up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got endometriosis? Spotting can be a symptom of that as well. I used to get spotting before my period, but after a laparoscopy a few years ago for endo, it cleared that up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default D&C experiences please

Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    Hi all, just after some experiences of D&C.
    I have just had my second 'natural' miscarriage this year and am meeting with my OB Tuesday to discuss having a D&C. If anyone could answer some questions that would be fab..

What was your experience like?
    Why did you have one?
    Did you have to wait to ttc again?
    Did you fall pregnant again?

Thank you
    I had a natural mc in March, conceived again in April and had a d&c in June when baby was 9w5d as heart beat had stopped. Pathology revealed that baby was trisomy 21.
    My experience was straight forward and without pain and I only had very light spotting for a few days afterwards. AF returned 28 days after the procedure. I was told by my ob to wait until I had a period before TTC again. We did this and conceived again straight away in July. I am now 11w5d with my third pregnancy this year and so far everything is going ok. I am waiting on my nipt results as I write this so any day now I will find out for sure if this pregnancy is a keeper.
    Best of luck to you with TTC again. I know how emotionally draining it can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    Have you got endometriosis? Spotting can be a symptom of that as well. I used to get spotting before my period, but after a laparoscopy a few years ago for endo, it cleared that up.
    That's one of the things I was worried about, but I have read that you can't get that from a d&c, and the changes of brown spotting have only happened since then so it seems too coincidental. The fact that it's changed is worrying me It seems like the most likely explanation is either scarring (absolute worst fear) or post-pregnancy hormonal/ovulation problems as periods can change after pregnancy so I guess that counts for 'incomplete' ones too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the GP today and she was super unhelpful and very vague. She asked me if I wanted an infection and Chlamydia test even though I don't have any symptoms of that. I had to really prompt her by asking could it just be that my periods have changed because of pregnancy and she said she didn't know, but maybe. She said it could be because I came off the pill a YEAR ago, even though the symptoms have only occurred post D&C and I was fine after I came off the pill. She did ask of her own accord whether I have any family history of endometriosis and offered an ultrasound to rule it out. I'm really fed up and nobody seems to care that I have period symptoms for half of the month.