+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default D&C experiences please

Hi all, just after some experiences of D&C.
    I have just had my second 'natural' miscarriage this year and am meeting with my OB Tuesday to discuss having a D&C. If anyone could answer some questions that would be fab..

What was your experience like?
    Why did you have one?
    Did you have to wait to ttc again?
    Did you fall pregnant again?

Thank you 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there I'm so sorry for your two losses and I hope everything works out and you get your take home baby soon 😔
    no firsthand experience but have a look at this thread, don't want to scare you but you need to be well-informed. Some of the girls in that thread might be able to help you. All the best xx
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=453524

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016),Starf1sh  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Hun, firstly I'm so sorry for your loss.

As for the D&C, I've had one before.

It was relatively painless. I went in and was told to insert two tablets into my vagina to soften the cervix about an hour before my surgery. They give you something to calm your nerves and then they wheel you in and give you the gas and then I woke up later. The aftermath was pretty full on, I was tired, lost a lot of blood when I stood up and actually fainted. I was quite embarrassed as I was then covered in blood when I came to and still had to wait for an hour before I could leave. It's a day procedure. You won't be able to drive or do anything too physical for the next 48-72 hours due to the anaesthetic. Recovery was pretty easy, I didn't have any cramps etc. I was just tired and emotional due to drop in hormones. After my bleed in hospital, I didn't have any more until about two weeks later when I had some light spotting for about a week. My period was right on time, 28 days later.

Why did you have one?
    I had one because of a missed miscarriage. I went for a scan at 10 weeks and baby was only 7w6d with no heartbeat. I tried to wait it out and let it happen naturally but it got to another 2 weeks later and my HCG wasn't dropping and there was no sign of anything happening soon and I became scared of seeing the baby etc if I did it naturally, so opted for a D&C.

They advise you wait until after your first period to give the lining a chance to properly strip itself and replenish.

I have only just fallen pregnant again. So it took close to 16 months for me to fall pregnant and I'm currently 7 weeks and very nervous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    I have just had my second 'natural' miscarriage this year and am meeting with my OB Tuesday to discuss having a D&C. If anyone could answer some questions that would be fab..

Why did you have one?

Thank you 😊
    So sorry for your loss. I had a D & C after an early miscarriage that my body was taking a long time to recognise (it took several weeks to diagnose as my hcg was still rising). It was also a week before Christmas so I was keen for it to be over rather than wait it out over the Xmas period.

My experience was good - as much as these things can be. I met with the OB Thursday afternoon admitted to hospital Friday morning out Friday afternoon. It was my first experience under GA and it felt like it happened in 5 minutes. I had minimal pain and bleeding after, just a bit of spotting for a few days really.

My biggest complaint was that I had to wait 7 days to swim again (due to risk of infection)! But couldn't do that while miscarrying anyway.

I did wait to TTC I wanted to wait until after AF so I knew my body was working again. It did take me a while to get AF from memory about 8-9 weeks after the D&C.

I fell pregnant again about 5 cycles later - and now have a 7 week old 😊

If I were in that position again I would opt for a D & C again. It helped me move on physically and mentally and there are risks for both 'waiting it out' as well as D&C.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post

Why did you have one?

Thank you 😊
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

I had a d n c on March 4th this year. Had a scan the day before and bubs had no heartbeat. I didn't want to wait to pass the baby naturally as I hadn't started bleeding.

I went in Friday morning to the early pregnancy clinic, saw a doctor and did some paper work, went for bloods then up to women's day surgery by 11am. They gave me some tablets to start dilating the uterus, they told me I would have some cramping and bleeding but I didn't.

I waited on a bed all day (while fasting) until 7pm, as I kept getting bumped back by emergency c sections. They ended up putting me on a drip as I hadn't eaten.

Went into surgery, I've no idea how long it took, I reacted badly to the drugs and was on morphine when I came out so it's very blurry. I ended up staying the night but that's not common. I had no bleeding at all at the hospital.

Went home the next day, I felt like crap emotionally and physically, but was feeling better physically after 1-2 days. I had light bleeding for 8 days. My first period arrived exactly 28 days after the d n c

We are currently trying again.

I am glad I picked a d n c over waiting even though I didn't have a pleasant experience

Hth x

Edit to add after reading above link: my doctor warned me this was a risk (they have too) but told me I was more likely to be killed driving to the hospital than that happening. They also said I was more at risk from them taking to little tissue out than too much.
    Last edited by Thescientist; 24-04-2016 at 11:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Thescientist For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all of your experience.
    I have got through the worst of the bleeding but am under the impression they will still want to do a d&c. I was hoping I would be able to ttc again straight away but have read conflicting info about it.
    I will speak to my OB Tuesday but it's nice to know some info before hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Em, sorry to hear of your loss x

I've had 2 d&c's for missed mc's. 1st pregnancy was at 12.5wks gestation which we found out about at our nt scan. Bub was perfect at our dating scan but appeared to have stopped growing at 8.5wks. Given it was 4wks later with no signs of mc, I was put in for a d&c the following morning for fear of infection. There was no discomfort after but I found out that my body doesn't handle ga's all that well so I was pretty out of it due to that. I was advised to wait 6mths as I was considered a 'late' mc however it took another 12mths & fertility investigations before conceiving dd

My 2nd d&c (3rd pregnancy ) was between dd & ds. I tried to avoid it with all my might due to the ga effects however the miso tablets failed me after a few attempts. The d&c was required 5wks later for retained lining. Again, no real discomfort and the dr's were able to adjust my anesthetic so I didn't suffer as badly as the 1st time. I was 10.5wks gestation but was told we didn't have to wait. I was pregnant with ds the following month.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had a D&C on 4th feb due to a MMC. Bub had aHB at 6+4, but at 7+4,had no HB. My HCG levels were all over the place so we suspected things weren't going well.

We were going on a cruise 1.5 weeks after finding out bub was gone, so ob suggested a D&C. This was on the Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning I went in for D&C, mine was done with ultrasound guidance to ensure nothing was missed.

I had no problems, drip was put in, I went to sleep, woke up and it was done. I went home an hour or so later. Following I had spotting for a few days, that was it
    Emotionally I was a wreck

I was advised to wait for AF to arrive before trying again.

AF arrived 29 days after D&C

2 cycles have passed and still ttc
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 24-04-2016 at 18:21.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I am hoping I will be able to ttc straight away!

Has anybody had the surgery for a reason other than a mmc? I have had two miscarriages now that have passed naturally bug they are suggesting I have a d & c to ensure everything is out and to 'restart' everything if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a d&c in 2009, it was to end the miscarriage of my first pregnancy.
    I was bleeding heavily and there was enough concern to ambulance me to a larger hospital 45 minutes away,

It was a relatively simple procedure, I had an ultrasound to sort out what was causing the bleeding etc,
    I was quite out of it for some time but I suspect that was a combination of blood loss, grief and surgery,

the biggest shock for me was still bleeding, I kind of thought Id go in, have it done and be all over (oh no one prepared me for that one)

I was told to wait one cycle, I had it begining of july 2009, I concieved my ds1 september 2009

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (24-04-2016)