Somac granules for reflux? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    My DS is on losec suspension mixed by a compounding pharmacy. Can you go back to gp and request similar?
    Yeah that's the plan. Just can't get into GP over the long wknd so we are having to manage as best we can in the meantime. Everyone seems to use Losec so it's definitely something I want to try. I get the feeling it's trial and error with reflux though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi both my bubs were on nexium. Loses did not work for either of them. Mixing the nexium does become easier, we were on 5mg per day so just roughly did half a sachet with the required amount of water (I think 7.5ml) and it gets a gel kinda thick consistency. We found the nurofen syringes the best to get all the granules up. Syringe goes into the far back corner of bubs mouth and it normally all went down, just little squirts. Unfortunately the easiest way to get it all down was when they cried as they would swallow, not pleasant but it worked. It did also take at least a week to really notice a change. At times we did have up the dose to 10mg per day as it would flare but then settle. Both bubs were on it for long time, (13mths & 2.5yrs). Reflux sux .. Good luck hope it gets easier

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KimbaKat For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KimbaKat View Post
    Hi both my bubs were on nexium. Loses did not work for either of them. Mixing the nexium does become easier, we were on 5mg per day so just roughly did half a sachet with the required amount of water (I think 7.5ml) and it gets a gel kinda thick consistency. We found the nurofen syringes the best to get all the granules up. Syringe goes into the far back corner of bubs mouth and it normally all went down, just little squirts. Unfortunately the easiest way to get it all down was when they cried as they would swallow, not pleasant but it worked. It did also take at least a week to really notice a change. At times we did have up the dose to 10mg per day as it would flare but then settle. Both bubs were on it for long time, (13mths & 2.5yrs). Reflux sux .. Good luck hope it gets easier
    Thanks. Silently Sh!tting myself reading all the stories of it taking years to fix. GP had given the impression it would only be a few months 😳.

I really hope we get a solution soon. There are 24 hour periods where I am only getting one hour sleep. It's not sustainable or healthy I am worried I will have a car accident. Doing all we can in terms of getting help but need a proper solution ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @sunnygirl79 not sure if you saw my post in another thread re mylanta? My paed told us to also use regular adult mylanta 1ml before each feed. Much easier than infant gaviscon. Might be worth a shot. And yeah if you can't get the medication dose in it defeats the purpose so definitely try something else. Good luck reflux is the pits.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    @sunnygirl79 not sure if you saw my post in another thread re mylanta? My paed told us to also use regular adult mylanta 1ml before each feed. Much easier than infant gaviscon. Might be worth a shot. And yeah if you can't get the medication dose in it defeats the purpose so definitely try something else. Good luck reflux is the pits.
    Thanks I had some mylanta from pregnancy and tried 1ml dose last night but he had a big spew shortly after so not sure it did anything. He was particularly bad last night though.

Went to GP today - had to basically tell him what I wanted! He seemed a bit clueless with the meds he gave me a script for Losec tablet (and had to call chemist to ask), I then asked chemist re having it in a liquid format and he didn't seem to know. Luckily he was helpful though and called another chemist (who thankfully so it all the time!), I have ordered some banana flavoured compounded liquid so we will hopefully get it tomorrow and go from there. What a mission!

Next step will be the paed if the Losec doesn't work for us. I asked GP how long do I give it to work and he suggested it should be immediate? I thought it could take a week?

What are others experiences (where it has worked for you)? How long did it take to show results and what dosage were you given (as this was a bit vague too)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it's progress at least for you.
    We are on 10mg per day which works out to 2.5ml of compounded liquid. I have heard of babies being on up to 30mg per day. For us it took about a week for screaming to settle, definite improvement after a few days though. My DD has silent reflux so spewing wasn't an issue just pain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 4.5 months old now and has been on 1ml of the losec suspension since 6 weeks. We took about a week to see a difference but it has been a lifesaver for us as before that we couldn't lie her down at all without her being in pain. At night she will now sleep some good stretches in her bassinet but still naps in the carrier on me during the day (but I think she's just used to that now and it makes it easier to get out of the house with our toddler).
    To give you some hope - she's still a "happy chucker" but the huge projectile vomits have decreased in frequency in the last two weeks. She still brings up small amounts throughout the day but is much more manageable. The losec won't reduce the actual vomiting but her discomfort is much less. We will review the need for medication at 6 months but for now it's working for us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I had thought a week was probably the case but for some reason my doc seemed to think it was instant 😳.

If all it does is make lying on his back more comfortable (hence possible to sleep in bassinet and able to be put down!) and reduces the horrid back arching and crying after a feed I will be happy. The vomits don't worry so much - interestingly the Somac seems to have significantly reduced his vomit frequency (used to be a few times every hour), so will see what changing to Losec does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I noticed a difference after 2 doses but a more cumulative effect after a week or so. Mylanta is fine to give in small doses as PP suggested and i would use it in the short term to get some relief for bubs and you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Got the Losec in a suspension. He has him on 5mg (1ml suspension) once daily. Does this sound right?